PDA

View Full Version : 7 northern kung fu Mpegs:

carly
02-17-2003, 06:09 PM
http://www.beijingkungfu.com/main.html

Royal Dragon
02-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Got any authentic traditional fight clips?

carly
02-18-2003, 12:12 PM
I'd post them here.

fa_jing
02-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Does anybody know what software is required to view .AVI files?

FatherDog
02-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Does anybody know what software is required to view .AVI files?

In Windows, Windows Media Player. In Linux, Mplayer is probably your best bet. In both cases, you need the appropriate Codecs.

If you're running a Mac, I've no idea. Sorry.

SifuAbel
02-18-2003, 01:41 PM
These are all Wu shu forms.

carly
02-18-2003, 01:45 PM
Are they really all wu shu forms?
The pigua looks a lot like mainland Guo style pigua, and the mantis doesn't have the exaggerated "show" stances of wu shu mantis.
If it's wu shu then perhaps it's been modified to look more traditional. I don't know.
Can we have the mantis experts weigh in here with their opinion?

Xebsball
02-18-2003, 01:47 PM
you need divx codec for those

http://www.divx.com/divx

SifuAbel
02-18-2003, 02:15 PM
I can tell by the flow mostly and by the power generation.

One of the prominant founders of WuShu was , you guessed it, A mantis practitioner. So that routine had a lot more technique from the beginning. The wu shu foundations in China are creating standard routines from many CMA styles. It does reflect the style, although its missing a few elements. That seems to be the caase for the majority of styles they emulate.

fa_jing
02-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks Xebs! for some reason Windows media player wasn't working

The stuff did look like Wushu to me - or maybe it's just that I'm not used to the forms being done so fast, and without emphasis on power. Just my uneducated opinion

Skarbromantis
02-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Wu shu !

Skard1

Crimson Phoenix
02-18-2003, 03:12 PM
oh, these?
I had seen them back in the days...the more I watched these clips, the less I liked them...

count
02-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Johnathan did well on the tournament circut with these. I think his father/teacher, Master Wang might add something about the power issues. Even though I know he reads this forum I can't remember him posting though. (Hi Master Wang.:) Just in case you're peaking in. I've been meaning to give you a call.) I learned a Sun tai chi form from Master Wang and it was purly combative and good tai chi too. His grandmaster, Jiang had his share of hardcore fights too. Lot's of western boxing influence in his fighting. He's pretty close to you Able. Why don't you check him out?

Just goes to show, even if you study with someone, trying to learn something from internet video's or any video for that matter is just silly. Have fun carly, and thanks again for sharing.;)

count
02-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Oh, I meant to add, a lot of their forms are modern performance wushu taught at the Nanjing inst. but I haven't seen what they have on line. Waste of download time if you ask me.

Brad
02-18-2003, 03:56 PM
sifu abel
The pigua looks a lot like mainland Guo style pigua, and the mantis doesn't have the exaggerated "show" stances of wu shu mantis.
If it's wu shu then perhaps it's been modified to look more traditional. I don't know.
I think it was the other way around. Traditional(or modified traditional) routines, with the practitioner going more for eye candy to bring in prospective students, who usually notice speed/flow over other areas. I don't know anything about mantis, so I won't say anything about that, but I didn't particulary care for the Baji. The foot work/stance work seemed sloppy/weak

mantis108
02-18-2003, 04:12 PM
With all due respects... Well, of my entire training in Mantis of have never heard of 6 Plum Mantis.

Jiao form - I am not familiar with this so I reserve my comment

kicking form - It looks more like a rendition of 7 Stars PM form. This is also more Changquan or Chaquan like.

Hook form - One of the biggest disappointment. In Plum Flower PM lineages Hook form is an alias of the Luanjie/Lanjie form but this Hook form here has nothing to do with that.

Elbow form - This is not Ba Zhou although there are a few elbow moves in there.

IMHO, he might impress non mantis training background folks with his forms since there are moves that are not alien to Mantis. As far as I am concern, I am sorry to say, he is waving his arms and legs in Wushu way. I am reserve about their claim as Mantis (at best a hybird) as well. But then if they could provide some training drills, applications or 2 men training stuff, it might help prove their claims. I am not even asking for their lineage just show me the drills or appliaction. :)

Mantis108

Skarbromantis
02-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by carly

Carly dont you study Mantis?

Skard1

carly
02-18-2003, 05:40 PM
I have studied mantis, but I haven't seen every mantis line out there, certainly never saw or even heard of this style, and I thought I'd ask the opinion of the experts. I don't consider myself an authority.