PDA

View Full Version : what next?

sapphire tygre
02-17-2003, 07:35 PM
I want to get some input on what you might do after you throw someone
in a "street" situation. Judo style throw.

Laughing Cow
02-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by sapphire tygre
I want to get some input on what you might do after you throw someone
in a "street" situation. Judo style throw.

Run like the wind.
:D

sapphire tygre
02-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but what if you're with somebody who can't run fast? leave 'em
behind?:D

Laughing Cow
02-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by sapphire tygre
Yeah, but what if you're with somebody who can't run fast? leave 'em
behind?:D

If I am with someone that needs to rely on my protection I will avoid those dangerous places.

Besides my Wife is also trained in MA.
;) ;)

Aslan
02-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Reminds me of a joke:

two guys are planning a hiking trip through bear country. One is buying really good hiking boots, the other running shoes. The one buying boots says to the other:

"You can't outrun a bear"

the other replies:

"I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you.":D

But, if you are in a situation where you cannnot confidently escape, then you must consider finishing the fight.

An opponent on the ground is a target rich environment.

It isn't about who is right, it's about who is left.

You do what you have to do to survive.

TaoBoy
02-17-2003, 10:25 PM
I wouls always say run however given that you are after a more offensive move...

Let's assume you pull off a hip throw (or similar) - if you keep control of the arm you can go to the knee ride position, get your grips and start with the pounding.

Personally, I'd be running...FAST!!

FatherDog
02-18-2003, 12:22 AM
If there's anyone else you can see in the area, run like **** for the nearest secure place.

If there ain't, throw a boot party.

Matrix
02-22-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm impressed! I was expecting to see all these macho-type responses. Pleasantly everyone seems to have what I think is the best response. Get yourself out of there, ASAP!

Peace,
Matrix

chinjab
02-23-2003, 05:09 PM
What would I do after I put someone on the ground?

Stomp on his face. Stomp on his neck. Stomp on his genitals. Pick up a heavy object and drop in on his head.:D

Water Dragon
02-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Stick your knife in them. You do have a knife, don't you?

Lowlynobody
02-25-2003, 04:45 AM
Break their pinky and poke them in the eye....

chinjab
02-25-2003, 02:42 PM
In all seriousness you cant rule out continuing your attack on the assailant after you've thrown him. What if he isnt hurt enough and has the ability to get back up? Running at that point may not be a good option if he can run faster than you. So then you may have to kick his teeth out of his head. Another example would be you throw him and then he starts drawing a weapon. Again, running may not be a good idea so you may have attack him again. The rule I generally go by is to attack your attacker until he cant hurt you anymore.

Rob

Laughing Cow
02-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by chinjab
The rule I generally go by is to attack your attacker until he cant hurt you anymore.

Be careful a rule like this can end up in jail-time or worse for you.

It all sounds nice and cool till the cops come a-knockin.

;) ;)

CD Lee
02-25-2003, 03:39 PM
I would run like hell. Really.

Now if I had someone that could not run with me fast, and I had to finish, I would most likely seek to kick or stomp on their knees and ankles. Then I would run. If there is debris like dirt around, I grab a handful of that too to throw in their eyes. Anything that makes chasing me harder.

I do not want them to be able to effectively chase me or mine, if they are down.

chinjab
02-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Attacking your attacker is a sound strategy to survive a combat situation. Unfortunately if your life is on the line you wont have much time to worry about what the police may do to you if you survive. Nor should you care at that moment. Your only goal should be to take him/them out before they seriously harm you or kill you. You are going to have to act and act quickly and as aggressively as possible. This is especially true if weapons are involved. Personally my physical survival is of the utmost importance.

azwingchun
02-25-2003, 05:43 PM
I have to agree with you 150%. I also believe in making sure the fight or possibly the chase is taken out of my attacker before I tend to run away. I think to many people tend to worry about what is morally or legally correct when thinking about these type of confrontations.

I would much rather have to battle the legal system than battle for my life if this guy gets back up and is given a chance to get me. My view point is this, if you have the chance to get help or get away, then by all means do it. But at the same time hopefully, you didn't go looking for the fight and it was you who was attacked. With this in mind, I believe that you should do whatever it takes to get out safely, regardless of what it is you have to do.;)

Laughing Cow
02-25-2003, 05:46 PM
chinjab.

What you are saying sounds nice in theory and on paper.
Problem is real life don't work that way.

In real life attacks happen so quick you won't even be aware of what, who or why you got hit.
Neither will you know what the opponent brings to the fight in stamina, power, weapons, friends, etc.

Like many people I get the idea that you confuse a bar fight or similar confrontation with attacks.

A fight normally is mutually "agreed" upon, and both parties are aware that it will happen.

Most attacks happen 1vs 2 or 2vs3, I have seen and experienced mucking where the guys come from behind, 2 hold your arms, 1 holds the knife/gun to your face and searches you for valuables.

Cheers.

chinjab
02-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Laughing Cow.

What youre stating about real life confrontations is obvious. I get the idea that youre making certain assumptions that are incorrect. In no way would I confuse or have I confused mutual combat with a violent assault. Mutual combat is ridiculous and stupid. Anybody who engages in it deserves to get themselves killed. Fights are actually mutually agreed upon, combat however is not. There is a distinct difference between the two. During a combat situation your life is on the line. Your assailant either wants to kill you or cause you grievous harm. A fight on the other hand has something more trivial at stake like an ego. Fights should be avoided at all costs. Combat is mostly unavoidable because it happens suddenly and violently with little or no warning. You are correct that most attacks usually involve multiple assailants who are armed. This is why awareness is your first line of defense against a violent attack. But if violence does find you, you must hit first and keep hitting until the threat is over. Having worked in both L.E. and in EMS in a major city I have seen and been involved violent encounters, so I have a fairly good insight as to how they go down.

Rob

myosimka
02-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Yes but you are engaging in a fight. If you have the opportunity to avoid the situation and do not then you are leaving yourself in harm's way. And anyway who traions regularly knows that even when you win you run a serious risk of injury.
As to your hypotheticals about someone drawing a weapon: 1) this shows a serious lack of understanding of predator psych. Why pursue a confrontation with someone who just dropped you when easier prey will come along? 2) Accuracy decreases with range. I can fight and struggle with a guy on the ground who might draw a weapon or I can put 40 yards between us? no brainer. 3) If it's not a ranged weapon then obviously distance is the way to go. And as to your contention about aggressive actions when weapons are involved, I am going with every kali instructor I've had who all advise track and field as the ultimate defense.
My personal survival is the most important thing in this case and that's why I'd run rather than stay in a dangerous situation. You may disagree but my way seems to be working so what I must do is clearly in question. And I aain state that attacking a man on the ground when you could be running is placing yourself in a tight spot.

No_Know
03-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Use a throw that lands them on their hip, tail bone, collar bone or neck or head if you truely feel threatened.

landing them on joint areas should keep there from being any question of what to do next. They should be less inclined and less capable to further attack you.

If need be, stomp like kick down with the bottom of the foot on near-by surface areas of the downed person.

When you throw them, before it ends, begin a break or lock technique which happens during their descent.

Budokan
03-28-2003, 05:18 AM
After the first throw I'd leap into the air, spinning in a 360 degree move in order to do close reconnaissance: I want to see if he has any friends nearby. Once I assess the local situation I would then come down and apply paralyzing techniques using ancient Oriental pressure/nerve strikes, slowing his heart to 6 beats a minute and reducing his brain to purely autonomic functions: no cerebral activity whatsoever. I would then tie his hands behind his back, the nylon looped around his ankles and his neck so that as we awoke he would inadvertently struggle and slowly strangle himself. I would then leave for my secret hideout and continue my obsessive stalking of the fat chick across the street who has a strange yet compelling relationship with her pet Billy Goat.

But that's just me.

No_Know
03-28-2003, 07:32 PM
That was a five laugh read. Very good, Budokan.

LEGEND
03-28-2003, 09:07 PM
RUN AWAY: Typical answer
However... what if u came with a group of friends and they're still in the house or club u are at??? Call them on the cell phone??? Wait for them by the car at 3:30am??? Running is great if u came alone...if u didn't then u're either the DRIVER or the one that needs a RIDE. So where are u running too???