PDA

View Full Version : Target Cardio

TheHype112
02-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Greetings once again from the internet.

I am looking for an effective replacement for distance running as a cardio workout, as I no longer have the time to be out on those semi-daily 3-5 mile runs , what are some effective but more brief ways to get that cardio in? Any ways in particular to help target the midsection would be a bonus, but overall I'm just looking to burn.

Thanks in advance

~Eric

rubthebuddha
02-18-2003, 12:17 AM
bag work.

more bag work.

and then some more bag work.

Cheese Dog
02-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Bagwork is very good. Also sparring. Circuit weight training can give you some aerobic benefit while building strength-endurance.

Mr. Bao
02-18-2003, 08:50 AM
You want to develop functional fun cardio work here is my suggestions:

1. The classic and time proven cheap and effective "Jump rope". You build explosive strength, endurance, forearm strength, and body coordnation. Learn how boxer's speed jump rope because there are basic to advance fancy foot work involved. Do three min round, 3-6 rounds, resting 30 sec. to one min between rounds.

2. Combination punching and kicking shadow boxing in the mirror, imagine you fighting someone who you hate at your kwoon or your dojo or just simply some who you hate with all your might and spirit. Pretend someone just hurt your loved one or even raped someone who you loved, get some emotional content there are go for it, man!

3. Do punching and kicking drills on the bag. Do three-five mins round, 2-4 rounds, resting 2 mins rest in between. Get some emotional content there, but dont leave yourself open. Pretend that someone is trying to hit you, but also think of economy of motion as well. Just dont move for the sake of moving.

3. Circuit Training method using weights or body weight exercises is awesome and some say it is a manly way of cardio. Pavel's Kettlebells and book, Matt Furey's combat conditioning, and Charles Poliquin has something interesting and effective concerning this kind of training.

4. Yes, simply busting your arse inside your kwoon or dojo is a great cardio workout. Find a classmate and test each other and see who can do more push ups, chins, punches, kicks, etc. Friendly ego matches are ok as long there is a sincere spirit of brotherhood and self improvement at heart.

Best of Luck.

Rolling Elbow
02-19-2003, 09:44 AM
ski machine (nordic track) - what a b$tch it is!!

jump rope

bag work

These are my favourites....

Robinf
02-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Combo of jump rope and bag work works perfect for me. I had to stop running because of my knee. My knee's better and my sparring has improved. But, I have to admit, I miss the mindless running.

SevenStar
02-26-2003, 01:29 AM
jumping rope and bag work are my faves. Check out my cable/cardio workout too and see how you like it. you can modify it to make the cardio part of it more intensive.

Kempo Guy
02-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Jump rope, bag work and high-repetition dumbell/kettlebell snatches and swings.

KG