PDA

View Full Version : Overheard in the gym

FatherDog
02-18-2003, 12:28 AM
"Yeah, you don't see too many boxers big like this. They have little stick legs. They don't work the chest, just the shoulders and midsection... don't want to get too big. That's why you don't see more black guys in boxing; they tend to be big around the midsection, and that puts them over their weight class."

Geez. All I could think was "****, now I know how IronFist feels."

Cheese Dog
02-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Good God, my IQ dropped 30 points just reading that. How is such ignorence possible?

It would be poetic justice if a boxer (particularly an African-American boxer) overheard his garbage!

TaoBoy
02-18-2003, 09:40 PM
This is why I keep to myself at the gym. I'm scared I'll flip out ninja style. :D

IronFist
02-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Careful you don't get so ****ed that you commit seppuku with a frisbee. :D

IronFist

FatherDog
02-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Not too much danger, but I may get ****ed enough to beat them over the head with a locker.

CD Lee
02-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Yeah, being a huge boxing fan for 20+ years, I know I have never seen many black boxers?!?!?

You know, really, the ignorance of these types of folks is due to the fact that they don't know what they are talking about, but feel the need to somehow make some sort of informative, scientific, or political statements to us unsuspecting members of public.

Some real winners I have heard that stick out immediately in my mind:

"Roaches spread fleas. You bet, the fleas get on the roaches backs and get spread all over the house." -actual quote from a well meaning family member, whom I will not identify out of respect.

"The Nile is the only river in the world that flows north." - Same family member

"Black people do not make good tennis players. They have problems concentrating." - A co-worker in the Southern League. This statement was so ignorant that even with the Williams sisters and James Blake, just to name a few, I refuse to even speak about it to him. I cannot stand to watch his face contort in pain, when I give him facts.

Hey, the way I see it, these people keep all of us on top in the real world.

Anyways, also a great lesson for all of us. The next time we start to speak on something we are a little unsure about, keep quiet.

You know the saying, "It is better to be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."

Cheese Dog
02-19-2003, 02:12 PM
CDLee, that is one of my favorite sayings. :cool: