PDA

View Full Version : Cross Training in more than one style of Kung fu?

xicaju
02-13-2001, 04:23 AM
Do you think it is good or bad to train in more than one style? Let's say Shaolin and Tai Chi...or Shaolin and wing chun? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Do any styles complement each other?

HuangKaiVun
02-13-2001, 02:30 PM
If you have a GREAT sifu, he'll show you that the styles really aren't different - and the art he shows you will be complete.

If you have a mediocre sifu, you'll get some basics but not enough to form a working knowledge of the art.

The real-life sifus I've had fell into the latter category.

I had to crosstrain. Otherwise, I wouldn't even have understood the nominal style of my choice.

Now I realize that if you understand one style WELL, that's more than enough.

RFM
02-13-2001, 03:29 PM
Of the styles you mentioned, they would more than likely compliment each other and depending on the school, some things, such as tai chi and whatever, may already be part of the program.

To me real crosstraining involves studying two or more very different arts to get a better experience such as jujitsu and wing chun, or tai chi and sumo wrestling...Peanut butter and chocolate.

Utimately it comes down to why you chose to learn the martial arts. Are you more traditional minded where you'd prefer to focus on mastering only one art, or are you more free spirited, wanting more experiences? It depends on you, neither path is bad, nor better than the other.

Peace,
Bob

From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Wah
02-18-2001, 12:28 PM
here's my 2 cents if you consider it. I would say stick to one style instead of training in two at the beginning...the reason for this is that if you do not train or learn how to do a proper form in one style...a second will just confuse you. Also as the above mentioned...you will need a sifu with a good knowledge of that style he teaches. For me...i am training in 2 seperate style's that are taught at my school...hung gar and choy lee fut...but i have also been studying it for 2 years now. Most of the forms in bout styles are exactly alike...stances...punches...so forth but there are also the differences. My teachers are very knowledgable in what they teach...they are Bucksam Kong's top students for those who know who Bucksam Kong is...and Bucksam was a student of Lam Sai Wing who was Wong Fei Hung's star pupil. The choy lee fut that i am learning is from Grandmaster Chan Yong Fa...for those of you who don't know him...he is the great grandson of Chan Hueng...founder of the system. Unlike many wannabe Bruce Lee's out there who try to incorprate 2 or more different systems together...my teachers keep them seperate as to not water down their essence.

But to put it in simple terms...find a knowledgeable teacher and train in that one style till you get the essence down...because it doesn't matter what style(s) you are learning or which looks better or which makes you like Bruce Lee or what not...its the essence of the style because one way or another...all martial arts systems will get you to what you wanna do...and thats fight.

PS: Sorry for making this post so long...just had to get my idea across

Wah
02-19-2001, 11:34 AM
sorry...one correction...i got mixed up with who Bucksam's teacher was...it wasn't Lam Sai Wing but his nephew...Lam Jo...sorry for my mistake

wutangstyle
02-19-2001, 02:48 PM
greetings all. Im no expert having studied chin wooo northern shaolin for approx 3 years but it appears that many kung fu styles wether northern or southern are hybrids or have incoporated certain certain techniques,forms into their particular style. Many teachers empahsise the importance of learning taji along with your particular style. Personally i would gain a high level of skill in one discipline before moving on to another style!!!
For instance my teachers always that kung fu is running and tai chi is walking, when you are older u will find it easier to walk as u have run already!!! Another example is associations such as chin woo have forms which are used by pryaing mantis eagle claw etc ie tam tui, gung lek kuen!!!!so find a good teacher as they are hard to find and trainhard
laters

TZU TSE XI ZHIAO
02-19-2001, 05:23 PM
if you do study multiple styles how will you divide your time? Will you attend one school on Monday and another on Tuesday?So then you will practise one style on one day and another on the following day?Also you can aford to attend somany schools? In your area there are that many bonafide kung fu schools for you to choose from?