PDA

View Full Version : Baji Power Training

RAF
02-18-2003, 08:21 AM
For reading info there is a new baji article in JAMA entitled:

"Fajing: Issuing Power as Practiced in Bajiquan & Northern Chinese Martial Arts Systems," Tony Yang, Andy Lianto, and Robert A. Figler, Ph.D. Vol 12, No. 1 2003

Basically we discuss how to train for power and fajing experssion. We describe some (not all) of the basic exercises along with da qiang (big spear) training and the orginial xiao baji set taught by Liu Yun Qiao. Basic conclusion is that power and fajing expression must be developed through systematic training methods and these are common to many traditional northern martial arts.

Also note that the big spear training is for more than power. You can develop subtantial chan si jing and other jings (ting jing in two man exercises).

Also you might want to see:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~chipper/Pictures/Spear-Set/spear_set.htm

http://www.speakeasy.org/~chipper/Writings/TAIJI%20STAFF.pdf

These offer some insight into how big spear/big pole training is utilized in traditional Yang Shi Taijquan.

I think there are more similarties than differences among training methods in traditional Northern Chinese martial arts.

Enjoy!

count
02-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Read it, and it's really excellent. Good job, it almost makes me want to shell out the 10 dollars for the JAMA.:D

baji-fist
02-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Man!!! One of the disadvantages of living in a foreign country is that I do not have access to JAMA!!!

uncle
02-18-2003, 10:49 AM
check your PM's

BaldMonk
02-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Count Alaska as a foreign country. We are sold out up here. Jake's supposed to be mailing me a copy. Paolo, you can order from the web sight. That other magazine isn't out up here yet but I hear there's a color picture of yours truly in it. Jake's jealous cause I'm soo pogey.

baji-fist
02-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Baldy,

Pogi huh? I thought there was only one pogi guy to come out of Alaska Wu-Tan...hehehehe! I was also getting a copy sent to me, but if what you say is true, then maybe that may not be happening soon. I am eager to get my hands on that article. Master Yang and Bob always produce very insightful articles.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Good job on this thread. Interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing.