PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone speak Gujarati or Malu <sp>?

IronFist
02-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Ok I got two questions:

1. Is "Sinh" Gujarati for "Lion?"

2. What is "undi" in Malu? I'm not sure I spelled the language or the word right. Ok. It's like uhn-dee in English.

IronFist

Mojo
02-18-2003, 04:31 PM
* gets ready to post ' undi ' joke *

IronFist
02-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Anyone know?

IronFist

Chang Style Novice
02-18-2003, 06:55 PM
I dunno for sure about Gujarati, but I think Singha or variations on it mean "lion" pretty much all over the subcontinent. I used to know a gal from Gujarat to ask, but she moved away.

TkdWarrior
02-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Sinh is Lion in Hindi/Sanskrit cannot speak for gujrati but it remains the same for most languages like CSN said...in english it would be written as *Singh* pronounced as *Sing+ahh* pressuring on HH part of ahh..

not sure about Malu word ?
well where the hell u come up with those?
-TkdWarrior-

IronFist
02-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks.

Yeah I just confirmed that sinh is Lion in Gujarati. Um, but I'm still looking for this Malu word. Here's the funny part, I just looked up a list of Indian languages and there was nothing on there called Malu. Is that a real language, or is it a slang name for another language?

Oh well.

Thanks for the help anyway. :D

IronFist

TkdWarrior
02-18-2003, 10:24 PM
u know in india language changes after every 50 km or so... it's so hard to keep up with languages...
it's possible that there is some slang language even after gujrati in gujrat
i know that it's not one of main stream language in india may be some off shoot..
-TkdWarrior-

Former castleva
02-19-2003, 04:23 AM
If I remember correctly,there are some ?80? languages with a few hundred dialects...probably like this,rather than vice versa.
Well,I´m not sure if that is up to date but only language I would be concerned of would be that of hindi.
Languages like sanskrit may have some use,for intellectual purposes if nothing else.

TkdWarrior
02-19-2003, 09:06 AM
well the main languages which can be written/read/spoken are about 20 somethings...
dialects, well they'll go around some 100's as i told u dialects changes within every 50 km or so ...
i myself can speak/understand
hindi, punjabi, himachli, harayanvi, kashmiri, bengali, bits n bytes of gujrati, Urdu (out of which himachli, haryanvi, doesn't hav scripts they r mostly spoken dialects)

n yes hindi is official/national language but english too is widely spoken where ever in the country u'll go... u'll find more english speaking than hindi speaking guys because English is one of main way of communication b/w indians(south,east,west,north)
ie if i need to go to south i need english as i belong to northern part of india n can speak/understand most of northern langauges.

-TkdWarrior-

IronFist
02-19-2003, 10:37 AM
I once heard that Sanskrit would make a perfect computer (programming) language. I'm not sure how that works, but ok. From what I've read of it, it is rediculously complex, along the lines of Russian and Lithuanian.

If anyone knows how Sanskrit relates to computer languages please share :)

IronFist

Former castleva
02-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Iron,
Ah,I´m not sure if russian is that complex (well I guess it could take some shock out of me considering the national relation)
Shares certain similarities with finnish though,when it comes to grammar (as I see it)
It should be worth learning.

"well the main languages which can be written/read/spoken are about 20 somethings...
dialects, well they'll go around some 100's as i told u dialects changes within every 50 km or so ...
i myself can speak/understand
hindi, punjabi, himachli, harayanvi, kashmiri, bengali, bits n bytes of gujrati, Urdu (out of which himachli, haryanvi, doesn't hav scripts they r mostly spoken dialects)

n yes hindi is official/national language but english too is widely spoken where ever in the country u'll go... u'll find more english speaking than hindi speaking guys because English is one of main way of communication b/w indians(south,east,west,north)
ie if i need to go to south i need english as i belong to northern part of india n can speak/understand most of northern langauges."
OK.
Huh,that´s a lot of India centered stuff to keep up with.

Kristoffer
02-19-2003, 12:36 PM
I could say a few stuff in Urdu when I was 'younger'. Now I only know a few paki stuff from a friend

IronFist
02-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Former castleva
Iron,
Ah,I´m not sure if russian is that complex (well I guess it could take some shock out of me considering the national relation)
Shares certain similarities with finnish though,when it comes to grammar (as I see it)
It should be worth learning.

Well, you're opinion may be skewed as you're a native Finnish speaker. For us who learned English, a language without noun cases, languages like Finnish that have 14 noun cases (16 in plural) are considered "rediculously complex." German has only 4 and many people have enough trouble with that.

Then you have a language like Russian where you have to conjugate (that's not the right word but you know what I mean) not only verbs, but prepositions, numbers, adjectives, and that's hard for English speakers. We don't think that way.

Watch, English is relatively easy with reference to grammar:

Nouns don't decline:
The dog is black
I bought the dog
I am walking with the dog
I gave the toy to the dog

etc.

Adjectives don't conjugate (or whatever) according to gender, parts of speech, or anything else:
The red house is big.
The car is red.

These two facts alone make English relatively simple. Spelling is another story, however.

I'm not being a snobbish American by saying that English is easy. I'm saying that compared to languages with gender (two is bad enough, German, Russian (I think), Icelandic, etc., with three genders are even harder), noun declensions, and adjectives that change to match the nouns, then English is easier. And when you're not trained to think that way in the first place it's hard when you go to learn it.

Another language lesson brought to you by IronFist.

Russian is hard. They say that if you had trouble with German in high school, then Russian will kick your ass.

IronFist

Former castleva
02-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Lol I remember when I was in elementary,I have been told it was recommended that I´d move to german studies.
I did,I HATED it and was a bad student. :D
To my fortune,I was able to quit it.

Now I´m slowly moving with chinese and japanese etc.

Well I think that if you´re serious about your linguistics and learning them,then you may already have some skill up your language processing areas.
It sucks slightly though that I did not have interest/exposure to previously mentioned languages when I was younger.
As neuroscientists may whisper,age has just so much to do with your learning process and that schools should,possibly,be encouraged to start teaching linguistics earlier before we...set in cement so to speak.
Rambling...

yuanfen
02-19-2003, 07:25 PM
TKD warrior is correct...on Singh, Singha etc and variations and its Sanskritic origins. very similar to pali too. The singha or lion is an important symbol in Buddhism as well and was part of the transmission of Buddhism to differnt parts of Asia.
Singh is an important honorific addition to the names of male Sikhs as well. the women are Kaurs or lionesses.

Singha is a great beer in Thailand too.

There are tribal languages and variations as well as the regular languages and dialects.

Sanskrit can covey complex meanings elegantly and also provided the regular numerals which are mistakenly called arab numerals.
They were adopted by the arabs abd then absorbed into European languages. Latin didnt work very well in math.
The concept of zero so important in computation originated in India..

IronFist
02-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Former Castlevania said:
As neuroscientists may whisper,age has just so much to do with your learning process and that schools should,possibly,be encouraged to start teaching linguistics earlier before we...set in cement so to speak.

Yeah, children who are exposed to multiple languages at a young age acquire them much faster. I've also heard that if you're exposed to a language as a kid, even if you don't even attempt to study it until later on in your teens, that you will acquire it much better and without much of an accent because your brain is somehow already familiar with it. Maybe when I have kids I'll make them watch foreign TV channels when they're babies :)

Hey Former Castlevania, your signature is much too long, but I have to give you props for you changing Megaman avatars. Megaman is one of the best game series I've ever played. Especially Megaman 2.

IronFist

Former castleva
02-20-2003, 06:11 AM
"Yeah, children who are exposed to multiple languages at a young age acquire them much faster. I've also heard that if you're exposed to a language as a kid, even if you don't even attempt to study it until later on in your teens, that you will acquire it much better and without much of an accent because your brain is somehow already familiar with it. Maybe when I have kids I'll make them watch foreign TV channels when they're babies"

Yeah.Very little is known about how babies think but when they actually start processing stuff,some say the best age continues until ten (your central nervous should form completely until 20,which is probably the last point.Well that´s what we know now)

"Hey Former Castlevania, your signature is much too long, but I have to give you props for you changing Megaman avatars. Megaman is one of the best game series I've ever played. Especially Megaman 2."
Lol it is long,there to back me up when I post short.
Thanks.They are awesome indeed,MM 2 has some very fancy music too.

IronFist
02-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Hey Former Castlevania, have you ever heard of a band called Minibosses? They play oldschool Nintendo music on guitar and bass and drums and stuff. They have a Megaman 2 medely with like 4 or 5 songs in it. YOu can download the mp3 from their website, here (http://www.minibosses.com). If you like MM2 music I suggest you check it out.

Cheers!

IronFist

Former castleva
02-20-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the link.
Mr.Binx already kindly directed me to a related site,I was unable to download from there though.
Seems to be working fine.

:D

Former castleva
02-20-2003, 12:50 PM
This is good stuff.