PDA

View Full Version : distance learning

frosh2786
02-15-2001, 05:50 AM
sifu scotts system looks pretty good, you have to send tapes to test for sashes...do you guys think this is for real?
http://www.kungfu-wushu.com/home.htm
check it out and tell me what you think, thanks!

8 Sweaty Palms
02-16-2001, 12:04 AM
You'll never be able to learn how to DO much of anything from a book or video.

The value that media brings is not for learning new skills - it's as a reference for things you have already learned, a tool for being self-critical, learning new CONCEPTS (not skills) that you already have a frame of reference to comprehend, the sharing of general information, and entertainment of course.

So if you don't mind not learning how to actually DO things, videos and books are fine.

:)

HuangKaiVun
02-16-2001, 05:41 AM
That's NOT true - one can learn many new skills from a video or book.

Not only that, but one can INVENT many applications for himself.

frosh2786, I'd suggest calling "sifu scott" and talking to him directly.

And remember that our opinions really don't mean squat.

You have to go out and see all this stuff for yourself.

8 Sweaty Palms
02-16-2001, 08:00 AM
"I" can't ever learn new skills WELL that way. I need honest and skilled people to screw up in front of so they can fix me.

And I wholeheartedly agree that our opinions don't mean squat ;)

HuangKaiVun
02-17-2001, 02:38 PM
Well said, 8 sweaty palms.

But "I've" learned a lot of stuff WELL from videos and books.

frosh2786
02-18-2001, 02:05 AM
what types of things have you learned wellform videos? could you recommend some?would you recommened these learning systems or are they just too much money for what they are?thanbks

azwingchun
08-09-2001, 11:36 PM
I agree there are some things you can learn from videos, though the skill obtained I think will be somewhat questionable. Think about when training w/your teacher and by watching him/her and then trying to perform this later only to be told you are doing it wrong. Well here is the difference......the video can't tell you if you are doing it properly or not. Nothing can compare to a live teacher.

beiquan
08-10-2001, 03:40 AM
well since our opinions don't mean anything, here's mine:

the "traditional" aspect of chinese gongfu is in the teaching method, which is the interaction between student and teacher on a regular basis and is a "tradition" which has been passed down through generations. you can copy moves from a videotape, this is similar to learning a form at a seminar. however, this is not traditional gongfu as it is not learned according to the tradition of teaching, passed down from instructor to student. there's much more to learning than being shown a move and an application, it is a slow process of personal practice that has to be supplemented by constant refinement from your teacher. i don't doubt that you can learn something from a videotape, but i don't believe it is possible to reach the level of skill which you would if you were training from a teacher.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But "I've" learned a lot of stuff WELL from videos and books.
[/quote]

i would like to respectfully ask, how do you know that you have learned it "well"? lots of times i feel like i am doing a movement correctly, but my teacher makes a small correction which makes a world of difference. i see my teacher and my classmates 4-5 days a week and they give me some sort of scale against which to judge my own progress. if i was just practicing on my own, i really don't know how i could tell whether or not i was making progress. i'm not disputing your claim, don't misunderstand me, i'm just a bit skeptical of the idea of videotape learning (truthfully, i have a hard enough time learning with a teacher, can't really imagine being able to do it without).