PDA

View Full Version : Cricket?

yuanfen
02-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Canada beat Bangladesh at cricket.(Rene)
------------------------------------------------------
It aint cricket for Canucks to beat up on little Bengalis.
The difference in average calorie consumption is huge!<g>

TkdWarrior
02-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Canada beat Bangladesh at cricket.

LoL
calorie consumption?
yup i saw those guys were festively plump :D

latest news is.
Canada got beaten by Sri Lanka in just 4.4 overs.
Canada scored only 36 runs. :p
Bad Canada
-TkdWarrior-

yuanfen
02-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Tip of the cap to Sri Lanka- now the canucks can stick to hockey-
on ice that is- not fast enough to play the dry ground variety.
Played both cricket and field hockey in school days...ages ago.
Was better at gooli danda and kabbadi.

yuanfen
02-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Played both cricket and field hockey in school days...ages ago.
Was better at gooli danda and kabbadi.

PS: Too much hilsa curry probably got bangla desh down

anerlich
02-19-2003, 08:01 PM
The difference in average calorie consumption is huge!

Cricket, like Wing Chun, relies on intelligence and strategy, rather than brute force.

Besides, the Aussies will destroy them all.

Rill
02-19-2003, 08:18 PM
anerlich is correct.

Also, David Boon should be nominated for Australian Prime Minister in the absence of an Australian president.

Matrix
02-19-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Stop picking on us poor simple Canucks. What do expect from a bunch of lumberjacks and fur traders? ;)

Matrix

yuanfen
02-19-2003, 08:57 PM
There have been occasions when the Aussies have been beaten---
but Don Bradman the Aussie certainly was the greatest of them all.

Besides ice hockey the canucks are uneven in many things....
not to worry- good human beings for the most part- though the federation has its stresses... the Quebec folks feel pressured so in turn they ignore the Inuit and their rights,

Still more civlity than in wing chun discussions?<g>
Who is on first?

yuanfen
02-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Anerlich:Never been to Aussie land ---but have seen Bradman at bat.
Not a big guy---5 8ish or so but the grace and the power was awesome. Aussie tennis and swimming also first class.
So so in boxing- Kotsya is an import. Have a picture of Cathy Freeman winning the 400 on my dining room wall.

Matrix:canadian hockey and skating superb. Seeing gentle people all
worked up about hockey in rival cities- what a contrast.
Not putting down Canucks at all. At different times over decades have been to halifax, montreal, vancouver, calgary, toronto(love that city) and some Indian tribal areas, Have wood sculptures outside of my home made by my friend the late shaman and Chief Kitpoo of the Abenakis.

Off topic? yes. A break from same old same old wc shouting matches.

Miles Teg
02-20-2003, 12:37 AM
New Zealand will have its day again!

...and when it does I will stand there watching & laughing as your world comes crumbling down.

Mohahahaha

Stevo
02-20-2003, 03:14 AM
lol@miles teg!

Yuanfen, being an Aussie I guess I should say a few words, too! To say that we're sports-mad here might be a bit of an understatement. Without wanting to beat our drum, I've heard it said that head for head, Australia has produced more champions in international sport than anywhere else in the world (OK, maybe apart from NZ, Miles). Lots of athletes and swimmers, tennis players and some champion boxers, often Aboriginal (Lionel Rose, Tony Mundine Snr, etc). Many Aboriginal people have a natural flair for sport, and make stylish AFL footballers.

Are you from the Indian subcontinent, or your forbears? Some top cricketers have come from that part of the world, too.

If cricket was a religion (and some people would say that it is!)
Don Bradman would be one of our saints. Apparently he used to say that the secret to his success was thousands of hours as a kid bouncing a golf ball off the wall and water tank in his back yard in Bowral, NSW, and hitting it with a stick or bat as it rebounded, perfecting his shots and reflexes.

Stevo

black and blue
02-20-2003, 03:26 AM
I'm really quite close to tears of joy. A thread on cricket has made it onto the Wing Chun forum.

Happiness... a red stain on a white shirt (take it as you will)

:)

captain
02-20-2003, 04:02 AM
I have just read a news blurb on the bbc teletext about
Canadian cricket.apparently,the canadian's have entered
the record book for scoring the [the] lowest ever score in the
history of professional cricket.or certainly since an agreed
scoring system was put in place.
4.4 runs.as a half canadian living in the uk,i shall remain
quiet unill chased.there was also a score sheet showing
the canadian's "history" in international cricket,it was
sobering to say the least,and put me in mind of what colonel
kertz said."the horor....the horror....the.....horror......".

Matrix
02-20-2003, 05:40 AM
Matrix:canadian hockey and skating superb. Seeing gentle people all
worked up about hockey in rival cities- what a contrast. How true! The tensions do run a little high some times, and that's just in the pee wee leagues. :D

Not putting down Canucks at all. At different times over decades have been to halifax, montreal, vancouver, calgary, toronto(love that city) and some Indian tribal areas, Have wood sculptures outside of my home made by my friend the late shaman and Chief Kitpoo of the Abenakis. Joy, One thing about Canadians, the size of our country is only exceeded by our inferiority complex. Believe me, I never took your words as put downs. I'm happy to hear that you've been to many places in our country. I have also been to many US cities and lived in L.A in my youth and Seattle for a time. Despite all the political rehetoric, Canadians and Americans have a lot in common.

Peace,
Matrix

Matrix
02-20-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by captain
4.4 runs.as a half canadian living in the uk,i shall remain
quiet unill chased.there was also a score sheet showing
the canadian's "history" in international cricket,it was
sobering to say the least,and put me in mind of what colonel
kertz said."the horor....the horror....the.....horror......". Captain,
As a half-Canadian I'm sure that you know that a vast majority of Canadians have no understanding of what Cricket is, except for the chirping bug of course. ;)

Matrix

Stevo
02-20-2003, 06:46 AM
Captain, don't worry - there's only one way to go from there...up!

yuanfen
02-20-2003, 07:17 AM
Stevo- I am fairly familiar with the sports consciousness of Australia... but still not many really top flight boxers yet-- generally not fluid enough- specially with the jab-- same for the Uk BTW. The Us, Cuba and mexico and the rest of central america and the West Indies provides the real nexus of good boxing.
I know some things about Australian aboriginals and their achievements and challenges..
Don Bradman is a saint- he thought Sachin Tendulkar of the current indian team was first rate and blessed him. .

reneritchie
02-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Quick, someone CanuckXpress some maple syrup to Joy, eh? That'll increase the love for his frozen neighbours!

yuanfen
02-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Rene- with my waffles- its always Canadian maple syrup and Canadian bacon. I admired Pierre Trudeau because of his Judo- saw him being driven out of the Ottawa residence, and waved.
Better guy than Diffenbaker (sp?)

Now, if Canada were kinder to the Mohawks and the Inuits and told the US mega corporations to go to hell- it would be quite a place. The new immigrants and their talents will continue to soften the remaining Brit. hangovers.(Ho Kam Ming, Pan etc ... to make it CMA related)
But---
It is the frozen north..(Gretzkie sp?) is here in Phoenix....the Winnipeg orchestra used to come to south Dakota to play and warmup! But is all relative you know-
to escape the South Dakota winters( we used to warm up by going to Omaha!). To get away from the cold- I ended up in North florida right in the middle of chiggers, fireants, sand flies, termites, coral snakes, rattlers, water moccasins,
and the KKK. Had to ecape from that too. As they say- be careful what you wish for. A good life is a story of escapes.

captain
02-21-2003, 03:35 AM
ahh.but how does a country gather any sense of national
pride,knowing that one day it will be the source of "comedy"
in a pub quiz???

anerlich
02-21-2003, 04:52 AM
Also, David Boon should be nominated for Australian Prime Minister in the absence of an Australian president.

With John Howard running the country, IMO we don't have a Prime Minister either.

With all those setbacks, we still managed to stomp the hapless Poms at both their national sports, cricket and soccer.

Rill
02-22-2003, 06:42 AM
With John Howard running the country, IMO we don't have a Prime Minister either.
Agreed - but when you consider the other major party's alternative, it doesn't give you much hope.

we still managed to stomp the hapless Poms at both their national sports, cricket and soccer.
You forgot union and league :). Also, they may not be English national sports, but there's netball, swimming, and hockey - all of which we do pretty well at, not to mention tennis and golf. Considering our population would fit into a single US city, I think our basketballers do well also.

I have to agree with yuanfen on the Canadian maple syrup. In regards to the boxing, I don't think anyone mentioned Fenech, yet. Fenech and Kostya's trainer is an Aussie, that has to count for something :)

captain
02-22-2003, 07:54 AM
though from recent events in aussie cricket [and the aussies
know what i'm on about] i think we now know why they do
so well in the sports world."i swear i thought it was cough
medicine,gov".he he,etc.

yuanfen
02-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Rill- I draw a blank on Fenech-- so many divisions, councils-these days. If one sticks around you pick up a belt of some kind. No reflection on fenech- my ignorance. Kostya is the genuine thing.
He was here (Phoenix metro) to fight Chavez who was over the hill. Went to the pre fight things and the fight. the distinctive thing about him is his conditioning. But he is beatable- there is the controversial Judah fight where Kostya hit the deck and later
Judah was counted out early and all hell broke loose. Kostya's
very affectionate father is always around him too and playeda major role in his developement. Kostya's jab is not tops- but he punches pretty straight with both hands.

Captain-does the aussie cough syrup pass Oylmpic scrutiny?

old jong
02-22-2003, 09:08 AM
I had one in my basement last summer!...It was driving me crasy! :mad: I hope he is dead now and not only hibernating.;)

;) prittt pritt pritt!

yuanfen
02-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Old jong- when spring returns- the wing chun cricket will be there again...cricket cricket cricket. But with the canadian winters..
there are some things you can be thankful about.

old jong
02-22-2003, 10:59 AM
I know Joy! Our friend Tony has to deal with rattlesnakes!...:eek: I prefer my cricket. ;)
Arizona is also a good place for scorpions,gila monsters,coral snakes,tatantulas ....:eek:
"Des belles bibittes" as we say in Quebec.

captain
02-22-2003, 11:18 AM
actually,yuenfen,there is already a "term" being used in
uk sporting circles.it's known as "aussie nector".for
instance,if an athelete suddenly turns in a career best,
or goes from an "also finished" to a medal winner,someone
will shout."must be the aussie nector"

should one be caught consuming the liquid insurance there
are three classic defences to be used.

1,i took cough medicine,i had no idea it was an active
ingredient.no really.

2,i thought that only applied to canadian 100 metres
runners.

3,please buy the brooklyn bridge from me.

yuanfen
02-22-2003, 11:50 AM
And centipedes( one in my sleeping bag once), millipedes, many varieties of ants, brown recluse spiders( bitten by once-was in my socks), black widows, many varieties of rattlers- not just western diamondbacks.. but sidewinders... it is a living desert.

Good martial sports and arts here too. Boxing(Phox, Tucson.
Lt Heavy champ Jirov is here), Wrestling- current college national 149 pound champ is at ASU, Severn (UFC) and his wrestling bros
from here, muay thai fairtex used to have a camp here ,
shotokan(koyama), good judo is here(Olympic silver medalist),
hsingI(Vince Black) and of course superb wing chun-started by Augustine Fong back in 69 in Nogales then Tucson.. later Leung Ting's US org got started here- now there are other lines.

"Reality testing"? there is rage in the cage for silly folks -- hells angels and their fighting cousins are here, mercenary wannabees
practice in the desert and if you get tired of self adulating bourgeois wannabes- you can go for walks in s ome parts of south phoenix or south Tucson flashing diamond rings and necklaces.

Dont forget we gave the world Miranda v Ariozna -the bench mark of suspects rights. The poor chap died ina fight any way years after winning his court case.... which was argued by the late great lawyer John Frank- who I had the privilege of knowing.

((But we also have Scottsdale, Paradise Valley. Anthem and other "gated" communities & illusions.))

PS- we have crickets too!

Matrix
02-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by old jong
"Des belles bibittes" as we say in Quebec. Do scorpions and rattle snakes really qualify as "bibittes"? ;)

Matrix
02-22-2003, 12:57 PM
..............and of course superb wing chun-....... I hope it's still going strong when I'm ready to retire. :D

Matrix

old jong
02-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Matrix
Do scorpions and rattle snakes really qualify as "bibittes"? ;)

There are ugly"bibittes" and there are cute "pitounes" !;)

old jong
02-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Hey Matrix!
Are you planning to retire in Arizona?...
Watch out for the pitounes!...I mean the bibittes!...;)

Matrix
02-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Old Jong,

Right now, somewhere warmer seems like a good idea. I think I would prefer Arizona to Florida, but finding a good Wing Chun school will be a high priority. In any case, I'm still many years from having to make a decision. Besides, Jean Chretien seems to be spending all of my money for me............I'm sure you understand. ;)

Matrix

old jong
02-22-2003, 03:16 PM
You bet I understand! Now picture just how much a "Parti Quebecois" can spend of my money over the federal. :( :( :mad: :mad:

You will find very good Wing Chun in Arizona. I know!... ;)

Matrix
02-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Old Jong,

The name of the party may change but they all have one thing in common. They know how to spend our money..:(.......in any either language.

I "hear" there's good Wing Chun in Arizona, hopefully I'll be able to check it out for myself. Especially since it now comes so highly recommended. ;)

Matrix

old jong
02-22-2003, 03:59 PM
You may know that there is a branch of that very same mumbleschoolofwingchunmumble in your own neighborhood....:rolleyes: :) :rolleyes: :cool: ;)
It is run by mumblemysifupatrickgordonmumble!....I heard he is very good.:D

rochester
02-22-2003, 04:12 PM
any wing chun in yuma?

yuanfen
02-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Not that I know of- at least no regular wing chun school-
there was a serviceman staioned there who was supposed to meet me today. No show- as of yet.

Matrix
02-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by old jong
You may know that there is a branch of that very same mumbleschoolofwingchunmumble in your own neighborhood....:rolleyes: :) :rolleyes: :cool: ;)
It is run by mumblemysifupatrickgordonmumble!....I heard he is very good.:D Old Jong,
Yes, I know of this mysterious sifu of whom you speak. ;)
I saw your sifu and a few of his students in Toronto. I remember posting something about it here a few years ago. I was impressed with what I saw. Good Wing Chun, no doubt about that. And I am not just saying that to be kind.

By the way, you should be planning a trip to visit your sifu this spring, yes??:D

Matrix

old jong
02-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Sure.
I'll let you know.Maybe we could have some breakfast at Royal oak on Bank st before class. It would be a pleasure to meet you in person.I usually go to Ottawa for the saturday class. (Noon)

:cool:

Matrix
02-22-2003, 07:21 PM
That would be great. Let me know which Saturday. Just send me a Private Message. :cool:

Matrix

old jong
02-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Good .
It will be done. See you then.;)

old jong
02-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Back to our cricket thread!;)

captain
02-23-2003, 04:14 AM
yes,the cricket thread.frankly,my "aussie nector" thoughts
could have been more firmly followed.i want nhb jibes
directed towards canadian cricket [akin to israeli ski ing]

TkdWarrior
02-23-2003, 04:47 AM
**** u guys u put WC even in cricket
back to cricket...
john davison(canada) today got 111 against West indies
one heck of an inning.
-TkdWarrior-

Matrix
02-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by captain
i want nhb jibes directed towards canadian cricket [akin to israeli ski ing]. Do you remember the British Olympic ski-jumper "Eddy the Eagle"?
I'm sure your pride is soaring to the same heights he did, when you think about it. :D
Let's face it, any country has moments in sports which they would rather not remember. It's a useless debate.

Matrix

Rill
02-23-2003, 04:12 PM
yuanfen - Fenech was around a few years ago. Check out http://www.ibhof.com/fenech.htm for a short history (first page I came across).

As for that 'aussie nectar', I have to wonder if it's as potent as the 'herbal tea' those Chinese female swimmers were taking a few years back ;).

yuanfen
02-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Hi Rill- the Fenech page wouldnt open. I will try later.
Aussie nectar, Chinese tea---

somethings can backfire--- Vargas got wiped out by de la Hoya---
the supplements didnt help.

Joy