PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shaolin Long Fist

northshaolin
02-21-2001, 02:44 AM
For those who learn or know anything of northern shaolin long fist.

northshaolin
02-21-2001, 06:43 AM
Do shaolin kicks have snap kicks, round kicks, hook kicks, etc? Not very sure if my studio teaches real kung fu or not.

Self-Thinking Follower
02-21-2001, 09:17 AM
If by "snap" kick, you refer to a kick that snaps back, then YES! If you refer to something else, please elaborate.

Round and Hook kicks like those used in Karate are scarce among traditional sets (dances), but can be found in some sets done a bit differently than Karate. A kidney kick in a mantis set I learned, comes to mind, that is in fact a mid level round kick. Also the initial sweeping movement of crescents from the ground in certain northern sets is another type of round kick, this time used as a sweep.

Outside of sets, all chinese arts have become aquainted with them. Also Shuai Jiao, has both round and hook kicks done low level as traditional kicking tchniques to sweep and trap an opponents lower body while the hands grapple above.

Hope this helps!

Self-Thinking Follower
02-21-2001, 09:23 AM
Since your not sure whether your school is teaching what you wish to learn, just post some more info on this thread. I'm sure someone here might be able to help. If your school teaches Shaolin Long-Fist, it should'nt be hard to find out since only a few groups with ties to the old Nanjing Kuoshu Kwoon curriculum, use this misnomer for their art.

northshaolin
02-21-2001, 11:46 PM
So for the shaolin classes,I learned a snap kick where I kick with the ball of the foot. A step up side kick with the heel of the foot. I learned some kind of kick called a crescent kick as well. These are shaolin kicks right? Because I learned some tae kwon do kicks like that as well.

Ben Gash
02-22-2001, 12:05 AM
"If man had 4 arms and 4 legs then he would develop a different way to fight" - Bruce Lee
I'm not Bruce's biggest fan, but basically there's only so many ways you can kick someone. The ones that aren't found in TKD are things like shovel kick (a low stamp/sweep) and shot away jumping kicks like lotus kick, butterfly kick, rollover kick etc.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu