PDA

View Full Version : why do mma guys hang around cma forums?

bougeac
02-19-2003, 06:55 PM
anyone fed up with all these cross trainer/mma guys who lurk on the cma forums spouting their rhetoric from their mount of grappling superiority????

it just puzzles me why these guys waste their time looking at posts from artists who study "inferior" arts to theirs...

the irony that i enjoy is whenever we have a viewpoint about a grappling issue they immediately dismiss it out of hand while at the same time giving us their expert opinions about chinese arts they have no clue about....

just a rant really, why dont they just stick to their side of the fence, im really not interested in how blending muay thai with bjj is SOOOOO superior to all traditional gung fu systems, they have their approach we have ours, they both work so why is there always angst from their corner??

anerlich
02-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Every martial art is superior, as long as the only testing ground is a public forum on the internet.

I'm a cross-trainer. The smart ones will tell you they respect every MA, the author of my .sig being a prime example.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat the crap out of you with experience.

bougeac
02-20-2003, 02:16 AM
"Every martial art is superior, as long as the only testing ground is a public forum on the internet"

you said it bro...

i personnally love the grappling arts and have a good basic repertoire of escapes,locks and choking techniques, even studying say, judo ne-waza a couple of hours a week will aid in rounding out any predominantly vertical art...

its just a pity the "grapplers" cant be as open minded as a lot of us cma'rs...

Merryprankster
02-20-2003, 04:37 AM
We do it just to **** you off.

bougeac
02-20-2003, 04:55 AM
We do it just to **** you off.

Hmmm, that just about says it all, doesnt it....

t_niehoff
02-20-2003, 05:10 AM
To answer your intitial question -- IMO they do it for laughs. And can you blame them? TCMA are for the most part a joke. It's up to us whether or not we want to continue being a joke or not. More chi sao tournaments, form competitions, knife v. empty-hand seminars, "I have the superior art but can't fight" stuff, "my teacher is a master/grandmaster but can't fight" stuff, "I can't make it work against simpler resistance but it will work on the street" stuff, etc. -- i.e., more of the same old stuff -- will just continue the laughter. If WCK wants to be taken seriously, we must train it that way and use it that way. IMO we shouldn't call ourselves 'martial artists' since that means 'folks that practice something that at one time was a fighting art but is now used mainly by folks that don't fight and instead want a leasurely activity'; we should instead strive to be fighters.. . But you can't call yourself a fighter if you don't train to fight and won't fight. TN

Terence

Merryprankster
02-20-2003, 06:33 AM
Actually, it was a smart-ass comment designed to get you to think a little bit, but it didn't work too well.

I started coming here because I had a friend of a friend who was interested in Kung Fu, and looking for a school in my area. I figured this would be a good place to look. Somebody had a question about grappling, somebody else disagreed with me, I got sucked into an argument, so I stayed. I've learned a lot here, and occasionally, it seems some people have learned things from me.

However, if my mere presence annoys you or anybody else, that does actually amuse me. It appeals to my mischievous nature. I don't generally post to get a rise out of people, though, and I usually note it when I am doing it for ****s and giggles.

I'm not really here to bring truth to the masses. It's a pain in the ass for one, and nobody listens, secondly. Thirdly, I don't think there's a monopoly on "martial truth," for the simple reason that good fighting principles and training methods transcend stylistic boundaries.

Finally, the sword cuts both ways. Neither camp has a monopoly on *******es, and the narrow-minded are just narrow-minded. It's got nothing to do with MMA or CMA or tiddlywinks or favorite colors or anything else. To proclaim that CMA guys are an open-minded lot is precisely the opposite of what I have experienced, although, I must say that actually, this board has a fair number of open-minded folks.

Nevermind
02-20-2003, 07:59 AM
I think it is good for people of other styles to hang out here. It is cool to hear about another art's approach to training, self defense, etc. Granted the trolls are annoying and you get your occasional chest thumper putting down traditional arts. But for the most part, I think we can only stand to benefit from people like Merryprankster, Sevenstar, Knightsabre, and other MMA's on the forum. Besides, if the MMA's are truly open minded, they can learn a lot from us as well. That may be one reason why they hang out here. As for the trolls, just ignore them. When you react, they win. Just "absorb what is useful". :D

Daredevil
02-20-2003, 03:59 PM
anyone fed up with all these cross trainer/mma guys who lurk on the cma forums spouting their rhetoric from their mount of grappling superiority????

Nope. I hang around MMA forums too, though I don't post much. It's a free world.

Grendel
02-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Daredevil

It's a free world.
Far from literally true, but certainly a healthy goal. :D

I think it would be pathetic if the forum tried to put everyone into a restricted niche. If they want to be restrictive, why not exclude Wing Chun lineages that they don't like?

The questioner is probably just trolling anyway.

Regards,

old jong
02-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Mostly to get some attention they would'nt get in a MMA forum.