PDA

View Full Version : TJQ Strength training supplies.

Laughing Cow
02-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Hi All.

I am getting interested in starting to do TJQ strentgh training, but can't seem to find good supplies or Books/Videos on them.
This is for Chen Tjq.

What I am looking for:
Taiji Steel Tube
Taiji Stick/Ruler(?)
Taiji Ball (Metal one)
Taiji Drum
&
Bai Ba Qigong exercises.

Also Books or videos on how to use them.
I got some Info from articles with exercises via a pure Chen Board I am a member off.

I also believe that Sifu Ma Hong has some Videos out, but can't seem to be able to locate them.

Thanks, for any info in advance.

Pawa-eri-to
02-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Now I may be way off here, but I have heard that metal taichi balls aren't good because the metal conducts electricity and decreases sensativity..... Like I said, I may be way off here.

Laughing Cow
02-20-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Pawa-eri-to
Now I may be way off here, but I have heard that metal taichi balls aren't good because the metal conducts electricity and decreases sensativity..... Like I said, I may be way off here.

The wooden ones I have seen only way about 7 pounds. :(
Both the Steel Pipe and Ball should be hollow so that they can be filled with Sand, rocks, etc.

I will ask Tuky-Lam about that point as I read it in one of his Articles.

Prairie
02-20-2003, 12:20 AM
I'd sure like to know about any information you get on this subject. I'd like use any auxiliary training aides possible.

Laughing Cow
02-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Prairie
I'd sure like to know about any information you get on this subject. I'd like use any auxiliary training aides possible.

If you give me a Day I can collect the few bits and pieces I got and e-mail them to you.

There are also a few pictures too.

spiralstair
02-20-2003, 07:26 AM
try: www.performbetter.com

adapt their training aids to your style of movement.

good luck.

Walter Joyce
02-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Check out mike sigman's Internal strength Video series, and run everything you are doing by your teacher.

Prairie
02-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow

If you give me a Day I can collect the few bits and pieces I got and e-mail them to you.

There are also a few pictures too.

that would be great. my email is m_bryson@accesscomm.ca

Thanks In advance and bye for now,
Michelle

Walter Joyce
02-20-2003, 12:31 PM
http://www.nnrs.org/sphere.html

and

http://www.plumflower.com/frames.htm

FWIW

Prairie
02-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Walter Joyce
http://www.nnrs.org/sphere.html

and

http://www.plumflower.com/frames.htm

FWIW

That sphere article was very good. Thanks for posting the link.

Walter Joyce
02-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Anytime. Am I right in surmising that you are not a Sigman fan? Just curious.

Prairie
02-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Apparently this Sigman has generated some controversy. I had never heard of him until recently so I don't know whether this controversy is a result of him or others.

As I don't know anything about the fellow, I can't claim to be a fan or not. I'm pondering looking into some of his training materials. Thanks for the point in that direction too.

Bye for Now :)

Walter Joyce
02-20-2003, 02:20 PM
Controversial, he is.

Internal strength training methods, he knows.

:cool:

RAF
02-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Ma Hong has a series of teaching tapes out on Chen Shi Taijiquan. One of the tapes has more or less demonstrations of the auxilliary training equipment. I can't recall but I don't think any of an instructional nature except the taiji ruler and everything is in Chinese.

Laughing Cow
02-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks, for anybody that replied.

Walter:

Thanks for the article.
Also not too big a fan of Mike Sigman, plus I prefer material coming directly from my style.
Over here hardly anybody has heard of him.

Prairie:
Will be e-mailing you bit later on.

RAF:
Any sources for those tapes where I can order them?
Not too worried about them being in chinese or that instructional, some of my class-mates studied in HK for a few Years.
Plus, my Sifu is a Chinese.

At the moment I am looking to collect as much info as possible.

BTW, about to order the 2 new Chen Xiao Jia Books as well as the VCD.
Those are released by the translator via his Web-Site, seen a few excerpts and they look good.

Tiger Wu
02-25-2003, 10:30 AM
I have the tape,just send e-mail to me.

zguy1
03-24-2003, 06:51 PM
most the training aids can be self made or improvised.

Taichi ruler : Use Rolling pin, may need to remove the handles and file the ends ..circumference should be abt 4cm or more

Taichi ball : use medicine ball or I saw NIKE has some weight training balls or even a basketball filled with sand.

Taichi tube : water pipe (PVC or copper) saw to the correct length

I have the Ma Hong's book which has a small section on strength training which is mostly what Tuky Lam has wrote about.

Still cannot locate his video on Strength training. But i has his ROutine 1 n 2 VCDs.

TaiChiBob
03-25-2003, 07:32 AM
Greetings..

Aside from the normal controversy.. i have pushed with Mike Sigman and he is quite good.. he is strong and sensitive, gifted at sensing an opening and taking advantage of it.. he is a little arrogant but can back it up... philosophically i may differ with him, but the evidence suggests that he can transfer theory into practice.. that's where the practice earns validity, when hands cross.. he and i came away even after +/- 10 minutes of full-on pushing (some ChinNa allowed).. he was impressive..

As for strength training, my teacher insists that we work with no more than our own body weight, if we can control ourselves others will be no problem.. Pole shaking seems to be a complete workout in and of itself (IMO)..

Be well..

RAF
03-25-2003, 09:33 AM
I now recall that I ordered Ma Hong's tapes out of an ad put in the Tai Chi Magazine by George Xu. You might want to contact him. There may be some VCDs in China on Ma Hong's instruction. It seems that he was putting together a correspondence course together in the mid 90s.

I have never met Mike Sigman personally but one of my traditional kung fu teacher, who knows a great deal about axulliary power training, seems think that Mike Sigman is right on target. My teacher is traditional Chinese and I value his opinion and assessments very much.

Good luck.

PS Check out the Internal Art Magazine, the article Chen Family Long Pole by Chen Zhen Lei---it lays out pretty well the method and makes reference to a VCD that he produced. Chen Zhen Lei held a seminar in 2002, I believe it says Philadephia hosted by Frank Shiery--he has a website. I wouldn't miss this seminar if it comes again. This is a real gem, you know, one of those simple but important "secrets" that takes consistent practice.

RAF
03-25-2003, 12:46 PM
http://www.pachentaichi.com/

This was the school at which Chen Zhen Lei held the long pole seminar.

zguy1
03-27-2003, 08:32 AM
if you need a source for that CZL's VCD or DVD, check out

http://chansigong.quizk.com

Laughing Cow
03-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by zguy1
if you need a source for that CZL's VCD or DVD, check out

http://chansigong.quizk.com

Thanks, for the link.

I got his 1st & 2nd road DVD's, just to see the diff. betweem his and our forms.

RAF.

I think Frank pops his head in at KFO from time to time.
I know he also posts over on TCCList.

Busy waiting for some stuff that I ordered from him.

Cheers.

zguy1
03-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow

I think Frank pops his head in at KFO from time to time.
I know he also posts over on TCCList.

Busy waiting for some stuff that I ordered from him.

Cheers.

did u order the long pole from him? Think he did uploaded a document on the longpole form onto TCCList before. Not too sure it is still there.

Or CZl has a DVD/VCD on that too -13 Form Cudgel. As the name implied, there is only 13 form. Pretty short tape.

If your are into Taiji sphere, then Chen Qingzhou book , [ ChenShi TaiJiQuan GongFu HuiCui] has a section on it. Chinese book of course.

Laughing Cow
03-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by zguy1

did u order the long pole from him? Think he did uploaded a document on the longpole form onto TCCList before. Not too sure it is still there.

I order the Small frame book and VCD, as well as the Terminology CD.

I think it is still there.

Or CZl has a DVD/VCD on that too -13 Form Cudgel. As the name implied, there is only 13 form. Pretty short tape.

Need to look into that.

If your are into Taiji sphere, then Chen Qingzhou book , [ ChenShi TaiJiQuan GongFu HuiCui] has a section on it. Chinese book of course.

Unfortunately my Chinese is like my greek, nearly non-existant.
Otherwise I would have order the Book by Chen Li-Qing too, or the Chen Ben San book.

Actually there are still a selection of Videos & Books I want to get, but alas the finances are not what they used to be.