PDA

View Full Version : Women's only class in Minn.

wingchunner
02-20-2003, 11:37 AM
There's a women's only class in Minneapolis, Minn led by women instructors. If you are interested send me an email and I'll forward it to the instructors there.

my email is:

wingchunner@yahoo.com

Have a good day.

Marty

[Censored]
02-20-2003, 02:43 PM
I'm interested in knowing why they exclude men from the class.

And why or why not other instructors would consider doing such a thing.

Would you advocate a separate Wing Chun class for short people? For thin people? For the faint of heart, of weak of will? ;)

Grendel
02-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
Would you advocate a separate Wing Chun class for short people? For thin people? For the faint of heart, of weak of will? ;)
So you equate being a woman to being handicapped physically, mentally, and morally?

Why is there this propensity to hijack threads which are simply announcements. Start your own thread about women's inferiority at Wing Chun. BTW, I don't agree with your misogynistic views. Do you listen to a lot of Rap music?

[Censored]
02-20-2003, 06:58 PM
So you equate being a woman to being handicapped physically, mentally, and morally?

I didn't use the word "handicapped"; perhaps you see your own reflection in between the lines? :)

Why is there this propensity to hijack threads which are simply announcements.

Step down from beige alert, young man. This is no hijacking, it is a question.

Start your own thread about women's inferiority at Wing Chun.
BTW, I don't agree with your misogynistic views. Do you listen to a lot of Rap music?

LOL, I don't agree with your brutal ignorance of the English language (http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=misogyny).

Now stop hijacking our thread.

Matrix
02-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Grendel
BTW, I don't agree with your misogynistic views. Do you listen to a lot of Rap music? Grendel,
That's quite a leap of logic you have going there. I would suggest that it is you who are hijacking the thread. Maybe you're feeling a little guilty since KJ put you in your place. ;)

Matrix

Phil Redmond
02-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Sometimes guys can be jerks is one reason. No woman wants some guy hitting on her when all she wants is to train.
Also, I personally don't find women as competitive with each other as men are. Look at how we 'men' are on these forums with each other.

Grendel
02-21-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Sometimes guys can be jerks is one reason. No woman wants some guy hitting on her when all she wants is to train.

This is far too common. Of course, if I were young and single, I'd see it differently. :D

Also, I personally don't find women as competitive with each other as men are. Look at how we 'men' are on these forums with each other.
What is it about competitiveness? That characteristic often holds one back from learning Wing Chun. A women's class can progress more rapidly learning Wing Chun than a men's or mixed class, since women seem to pick it up faster in my experience.

Actually, it is common to teach women in women only classes for all the reasons you and I have listed. After they have learned a bit and are comfortable, it is important to "mainstream" them too.

Of course, now I have hijacked the thread again, haven't I? And yes, I'm still smarting from being upbraided by KJ. :D

Regards,

Matrix
02-21-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Also, I personally don't find women as competitive with each other as men are. Look at how we 'men' are on these forums with each other. Phil,
While I certainly agree with your points. The Sifu should be able to control "inappropriate behavior". Beyond that, I believe that women should train with men, because in all likelihood they are going to need to defend themselves against a male assailant. Sad, but true.

Maybe learning the basic skills in a women's only class is a good idea for some, but at some point they should all train together, IMO.

Just one person's point of view.

Matrix

wingchunner
02-21-2003, 08:14 AM
In a nutshell, men are jerks. I should know, I am one. :)

Seriously, though. I think the atmosphere in an all woman's class would be quite different than one with men in it. Why? Ask a woman.
It should be obvious that there are a great many differences between men and women besides the physical attributes. Read MEN ARE FROM MARS, WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, even just for fun. It will help you in your relationships with the opposite sex, whether you're married or not.

The instructors of the class do work-out with men as well. In fact they come down to Cleveland to train quite often with Carl, considering they live quite far away. They also train with other men in their area as well.

Maybe this helps you understand a little bit.

Have a great day.

Marty

[Censored]
02-21-2003, 11:30 AM

Maybe that's a good reason. Though the female instructors seem to be avoiding a problem rather than addressing it directly; is this a Wing Chun attitude?

Of course, I'm not familiar with the details of their particular situation, and since the players have already been named, it's difficult to discuss the issue honestly and objectively.

Also, I personally don't find women as competitive with each other as men are.

Yes, women are generally less competitive and more sensitive. And if some of you men don't agree...f*ck you.

Anyway, I see this difference as an argument FOR integrated classes and not against them--when the instructor creates a good learning environment.

Phil Redmond
02-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I am in no way against women training with men but, a female new to WC might feel less intimidated if training in an all female class until she's ready to go to a mixed class. Some women though can fit right into a mixed class with no problem.
Phil

aelward
02-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Before my most experienced woman student moved away, she was leading a women's class that was kind of a "supplement" to our regular classes: that is, the women in our class could, if they wanted, join a women-only training session that met once per week.

My reasoning behind this was influenced by a friend of mine who happened to be a Wing Chun practitioner and teacher under Sifu Francis Fong: basically, because our society is male dominated, many women may unconciously defer to a man in a training context, even if her view is correct. By having a chance to work exclusively with other women, a female has an easier time expressing herself and build relationships without having to be judged through the testosterone prism. Perhaps it is easier for them to relax as well?

That said, I liked it better when they had their own group, because the conversation that often goes on during chi sao practice nowadays seems to center on how hot Clark Kent is in the TV series Smallville.

I would also like to add that in my own limited experience, women do not pick up Wing Chun faster or slower than men. It's all up to the individual.