PDA

View Full Version : A couple of things....

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
02-20-2003, 12:54 PM
All,
There are a few things I would like to comment on that I feel would greatly benefit the forum overall and encourage a free and open exchange of ideas and information.

1) Hijacking Threads.

If you have a topic that you would like to discuss with others on here, it is by far preferable to post a fresh thread rather than bring your topic to a completly unrelated thread already in progress. If other forum members would like to discuss your area of interest with you, they will post on that thread. If no one replys to your posting they you may wish to consider the possiblity that people are not interested in discussing that particular subject with you. You can't force people to talk about things they have no interest in. This is a disscussion forum, not a cross examination stand.

2) Threads that offend you.

This discussion forum is moderated. In fact, it is moderated by myself. If you feel offended by a thread or post on this discussion board please report that post. At the bottom of each post is a "report this post to a moderator" link. Please use it instead of launching your own angry attacks. The thread/post would then be reviewed, and if it violates forum rules it would be removed/edited/closed. Choosing to fire off an angry retort that is equally inappropriate just ensures that I delete two postings, not one.

3) Personal arguments.

Please keep all personal arguments off-forum. This purpose of this forum is constructive conversation and the sharing of information.

4) Once more....
LIST RULES AND DISCLAIMER:
Rules are very simple here: be respectful of others. In general, this means don't slander or libel another school, instructor or person; don't use abusive language; don't waste everyone's bandwidth talking about things that don't relate to Kung Fu.

AndyM
02-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi Sandman,

Well, risking the scrutiny of a Moderator, one thing I would like to say is;

It's actually pretty hard to post a serious topic on this forum without it degenerating into chit chat between members who are obviously familiar with each other.

While it's important for the mods to keep things civil, it would be nice if you guys spent as much time keeping threads on track.

The alternative is that everyone follows suit.

I must say that things have been much, much better here in the last year or so.

t_niehoff
02-26-2003, 07:04 AM
AndyM writes:

While it's important for the mods to keep things civil, it would be nice if you guys spent as much time keeping threads on track. AM

One of the features of good discussion is that they evolve, often change direction, etc. This is IMHO particularly true of those involving WCK since everything in our art is by its very nature interconnected and interdependent. So other than those attempts to "hijack" threads, I think the moderators should continue to do what they are doing so very well IMO -- stay out of the way of the flow of the discussions. TN

I think Sandman2 is doing a great job. TN

Terence

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
02-26-2003, 08:46 AM
AndyM,
Thanks for giving me your input on this one. Although I can appreciate your point of view, I really do feel that things work best on here if I intervene as little as possible in the postings. Like everyone else on here, I have strong opinions on what WCK is and should be, and if I start micromanaging the content of forum posters my personal bias might start leaking in. Besides, the "chit chat" provides a nice social element to the forum that helps people get along with each other. Which is important, IMHO, if you've just typed up 30,000 words telling someone why you think they are wrong....

As far as your comment on "risking the scrutiny of the moderator...", I would hope that posters on here would feel comfortable emailing anytime they have a suggestion/comment/gripe. I'm more than happy to take the time to discuss things with whoever wants to. It may not always get changed to the way you want it, but it never hurts to mention it.

Terence,
Thanks for the input.