PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Martial artists are more open minded?

Surferdude
02-20-2003, 02:27 PM
I think so.
Most people think that in the movies its either karate or kung fu.
One time I was at an Aikido dojo and some kids were outside and were like "Iya Karate chop!!!"....
I hate it when people do that...
What do you think?

Sho
02-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Whose ear wouldn't hurt from hearing that? :D

But they're kids! Tell us when you hear them say "Royce would choke 'em out". :rolleyes:

red5angel
02-20-2003, 02:40 PM
I scream hiiiyyeeeeahh Karate Chop! in my wingchun school all the time. Now I scream it in my Kali class! It just sounds intimidating!

TaoBoy
02-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Yes and no.

You get so many different types in MA.

The big problem is EGO. It f*cks everything up.

Brad
02-20-2003, 03:59 PM
The martial arts community is a very... diverse bunch :D There seem to be a lot of genuinely nice people in martial arts, but also a lot of people who are genuinely creepy. Lot's of con-men/women :-(

sapphire tygre
02-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Sometimes a conversation will suddenly get personal, a topic that people should remain open and understanding about. However on political discussions open mindedness often means ignorance. It is interesting how you'll be going along, everythings cool.... and then bam! Somebody just goes off, insulting, being codescending.

Laughing Cow
02-20-2003, 05:06 PM
No more nor less than any other group.

David Jamieson
02-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Nope.

People are people no matter what they're into.

Martial artists or what have you. they all have their little quirks and quarks about them. Some are the ****hest thing from open minded. Just like any "like minded" group, they are subject to narrow thought and prejudice and lack of exposure like anyone else.

cheers

StarBoy
02-20-2003, 05:18 PM
The big problem is EGO. It f*cks everything up.

Amen...not to mention McDojos and McKwoons too...

sapphire tygre
02-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Exactly why I think the philosophical ideas of ma should be taught first and foremost. And the mas that actually come right out and say, "We teach the purely physical side to this ma".... I've seen this a lot. It's like teaching world history and leaving out europe.

dnc101
02-20-2003, 06:57 PM
I think as a whole the martial arts community in the US is more open to diversification and cross training, and working with other styles. In fact, there seems to be more politics and hostility within some styles than between them and others. I regularly work out and train with martial artists from other styles, and I've never felt out of place or resented at their schools. Tested, yes, but not resented.

Budokan
02-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Martial arts has its share of saints and f*ckheads just like anything else in this world.

joedoe
02-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Martial artists are just people and as such are subject to the same diversity as the rest of the population.

Except TKD-ers. They aren't people :D

Repulsive Monkey
02-21-2003, 03:28 AM
No more than anyone else. These a lot of closed minded martial artists in the world.

dezhen2001
02-21-2003, 03:30 AM
Martial artists are just people aart from ninja's they are mammals :D:cool:

dawood

Oso
02-21-2003, 08:18 AM
ninjas are minerals.

SevenStar
02-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by sapphire tygre
Exactly why I think the philosophical ideas of ma should be taught first and foremost. And the mas that actually come right out and say, "We teach the purely physical side to this ma".... I've seen this a lot. It's like teaching world history and leaving out europe.

That's really not necessary...actually, the bjj guys I train with are more open minded than the longfist school I was at was. They had the same oppinion you expressed on one of the other threads - they assume that because they are training that they will just naturally be able to defend takedowns. They also had some close minded views on other sport fighting styles and about karate. I've seen that same attitude in some karate schools also.

HuangKaiVun
02-21-2003, 10:47 AM
In my business so far, I've taken more verbal flak from kung fu stylists than from guys who study anything else.

On the other hand, I've met and trained with quite a few kung fu men who are as openminded as anybody one'll ever meet. But they are the exception and not the rule, as far as my limited experience goes.

One only needs to look at these forums to see whether martial artists are tolerant or not.

norther practitioner
02-21-2003, 10:58 AM
We put up with you, don't we....:D
Just joking man.

I don't think that ma are any more open then other groups. There are a lot of liberals in the ma. Heck, just look at Gene.

HuangKaiVun
02-21-2003, 11:03 AM
True!

I'm a lot to put up with - and I ain't arguing.

You DA MAN, norther practitioner. Come by our school and say hello!