PDA

View Full Version : Statement from Shaolin Temple, To Mr. Brian Gray & readers of Inside Kung Fu

Shaolin Disciple
02-27-2001, 03:28 PM
State of Shaolin Temple
Posted by lohan at 2/27/01 3:48:20 PM
Hi Heming, since you've met with your American friends lately maybe you have heard about the articles published in the United States concerning the political state of the Shaolin Temple right now. Have you had the chance to read any of the articles yourself? Here is a link to one of them -

Battle for Shaolin (Brian Gray) (http://www.briangray.com/battle_for_shaolin.htm )
http://www.briangray.com/battle_for_shaolin.htm

I was wondering if you could offer any insights or make any comments about this matter.

Dear Lohan,
Yes, about 2 weeks before my American friends came to Shaolin Temple, master De Yang showed me a fax from his friends in America, they scanned the article of Mr.Brian Gray from the Inside Kungfu and brought us a big surprise...

I tried many times to visit Brian's website but seems it's impossible to access his site from China...Mr. Brian claims that he is a close friend and dear kungfu brother of master De Yang, but Master De Yang told me that he only met him once about 2 years ago and had a photo in front of the Shaolin Temple, his monk brother Shi Yan Ming introduced Brian to him as a guest that time...and since then Brian never ever see or contact master De Yang again.

And about the article, some information is real and guess you all have already read from Mr. Doc's site (http://www.russbo.com/destruction.htm)
Shaolin Destructin in 2000 (http://www.russbo.com/destruction.htm)

with the more details and more photos... part of Mr. Gray's article seems baseless and the words sometimes are prejudices...it made master De Yang feel very bad and brought him into a difficult situation in the temple and under the Chinese government...and he doesn't understand why Brian wrote such an harsh article...why?

Here is Master De Yang's comments:
**生有(think-up stories) ,
捕风捉影(speak or act on hearsay evidence),
吹毛求疵(try to find a quarrel in straw),
不切合实际(not writing according the facts).

We sincerely wish Mr. Gray can contact us directly by email and we are sorry to say to Mr. Gray, this is not the right way to help us...

Sincerely yours,
Heming, Shaolin Temple
Shaolin Disciple's Kungfu Union (http://heming.topcities.com/feedback.htm)
Shaolin Photos (http://photos.yahoo.com/mrheming)

Kung Lek
02-27-2001, 07:32 PM
Thanks for posting that Hemming.

I hope all is well with you otherwise.
peace

Kung Lek

GeneChing
02-27-2001, 08:19 PM
Heming,
I'm glad you posted this. I was there when Grey visited Shaolin Temple for the '99 festival. There's a great story there but it is not something I can publish. However, if Shi Deyang wishes to publish a statement, you can forward it to me and I will see what I can do. Please give my regards to your master.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & kungfumagazine.com

MoQ
03-04-2001, 10:23 AM
Hi Heming- I'd love to say that no one listens to Brian Gray anyway but sadly, I only wish it were so... Good Luck in getting this thing sorted out.

baji-fist
03-06-2001, 08:32 PM
I've heard of this fellow for sometime now. Although in the years I have heard of him, I have never found anything about his lineage, his style, and credibility. Does anybody know anything about him and his background?

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

GeneChing
07-30-2001, 06:33 PM
In regards to your other thread...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

suff0beast
07-31-2001, 09:29 AM
It is a shame. I remember reading that article at a friends house too. I guess I should have left it alone when I had contemplated joining his school. Kinda like "if you question what you are doing is wrong, then don't do it!". Thank you Gene for posting the archive, the thread I originally wrote should not be. I want to thank eveyone for their time and their wisdom, and now I know what I won't do! And I am staying put. We may have heat, dirt and nothing here, but ****** I know there are Martial Artists out here that I can eventually find and train w/.

Thank you,
Rick

Stumblefist
07-31-2001, 12:27 PM
Sounds interesting.
I also cannot access that site or article as i am in China (right now Hunan). That usually means blocked by the government, suspicious...
Can anyone e-mail me the article? I have a lot of interest in Shaolin Style.
Which government is De Yang in trouble with? local or national?

Stumblefist
07-31-2001, 01:19 PM
Oh, i get it after boning up on Russbo. It's a "reverse burning", this time the monks issue from Shaolin with the torches.
It looks like a power move to monopolize the financial situation. Nothing new here, the government of china is totalitarian, the country is managed with lies and illusions. Power is allocated to feudal lords who imitate the Nastional Government in both deed and thought-control
(Gee .**生有(think-up stories) ,
捕风捉影(speak or act on hearsay evidence),
不切合实际(not writing according the facts).
...now why does that remind me of JULY 1989?)
...What's happening is just an exercise of power by local warlords.
Usually chinese authorities do not get much resistance because the people don't have much personal power or power of press. Westerners are always like a monkey wrench in "interpretation of events" process.
This might explain the 100 percent jump in fees for the British group?
"Wan Gu Liu Fang." - "a good name to posterity"?

Jeez ,... i hope with Shaolin gone (or monopolized) people are not going to "discover" Wudang and put in a superhighway.

Stumblefist
08-26-2001, 12:48 PM
I pulled this off Russbo.com. It is basically a rebuttal of Hemming's statements and casts douubt on the validity of the statements attributed to Shi De Yang by Heming.
One thing Mr. Gray is correct about is the operating methodology of the chinese government.
Given that you need to have rigorous standards of inspection of any spokesman originating for chinese sources and some kind of means of cross-checking.

Dear ------,

I do not know who He Ming is, but he must be a student at one of the local martial arts schools in the area of the Shaolin Temple. His comment
that he showed the article I wrote to Shi De Yang may, or may not, be true.
I have no way yet of verifying his statement, but I am working on it. I called my contacts today, and they assured me that Shi De Yang is safe, and
apparently back at Shaolin.
I should explain to you something of the political game that is played by the government of China. In order to keep Shi De Yang from being imprisoned at the hand of Yong Xin, it was necessary to let the government know that we
are watching. Thus, the article and my efforts with both the Chinese Embassy in Washington and high level officials at the American Embassy in
Beijing. My contacts at the American Embassy assured me that, when they want to protect a human rights victim, they let the government know that they are concerned about that person, and it helps provide a type of insurance against sudden imprisonment or death. I hope you can understand
this with regards to Shi De Yang.
The fact that He Ming says what he says can be interpreted several ways.
One would be that he is simply telling the truth, and that his remarks should be taken at face value. But, I have learned that, when dealing with the Communist Party in China, nothing is ever as simple as it seems, and propaganda is a valued and constantly used tool. So, I cannot simply take He Ming's statement at face value. From my experience with the Chinese
government, lying is normal and is preferred if it achieves the end goal. I would like to think that He Ming is some innocent person who is questioning my intent with the recently published article, and is too youg to understand
the political battle that is going on at the Shaolin Temple, vis-a-vis Shi De Yang and Yong Xin. But, I also know that Yong Xin does not care for anyone unless they are donating large sums of money to the temple. I was offered an opportunity to donate a large sum to one of Yong Xin's projects, which was the erection of a large bell. If I gave this sum, I would get to personally ring that bell each time I visited. I declined. The amount that was being requested was many times beyond the actual cost of producing the
bell, an exhorbitant amount, and I was not the only person being hit up for money. Knowing how corrupt Yong Xin is, and he is not a genuine Buddhist monk, that is a charade, I wonder what He Ming has to gain by his statements?
Finally, I do know Shi De Yang, but I am not going to state this publicly for the simple reason that, if he is indeed back at the temple, and if he has made such statements minimizing his knowledge of me, then he must be doing so to protect himself in a pool of sharks. Knowing what I know of the government there, not to mention the intense corruption, I must bow to whatever he currently needs to survive. This does not hurt my feelings. I know the truth, and all that matters here is the safety of Shi De Yang.
When all of this has settled and he is safe, then, we can resume normalcy. I hope you can understand this. I am not going to make things difficult for Shi De Yang just to satisfy the curiosity of people who want me to "prove"
things for them. I am not concerned about their need for "proof." The greater good right now is protecting Shi De Yang.
I sent a copy of He Ming's letter to my Shaolin contacts. I apologize for the secrecy, but I assure you, it is necessary. I am untouchable,
because I am an American citizen, but these guys are at the mercy of corruption such as you cannot imagine. My friends are going to get back to
me on who He Ming is and what his role in all of this is.
I do appreciate your continued interest and support in helping to make the situation at the Shaolin Temple a healthy one. The battle is far from over, and it will not be as easy as some would wish, but if we don't do it,
who will?

Best Wishes,
Brian Gray

"Without water there would be no fish"