PDA

View Full Version : Grappling Gi

lowsweep
02-22-2003, 10:42 AM
I never thought I'd be asking this, much less wearing one, but here I am. Who makes a good BJJ or Judu gi? I started BJJ and we will be practicing with gis. It doesn't have to be anything too fancy.

Also, I'm wondering what the style difference is between BJJ with a gi and without (other than one wears a gi...). Thanks,
adam

Sho
02-22-2003, 10:53 AM
The Gracies say that their gis are superior to others. :p

Sho
02-22-2003, 10:55 AM
You'll have a broader range of techniques when using a gi (collar chokes, belt techniques, etc).

SevenStar
02-22-2003, 11:09 AM
For bjj gi, you can try atama and howard's combat kimonos. Adidas makes a good one also. For judo, I use Judo Star.

There is an immense difference between gi and no gi, as you have no gi to grab onto. the gi is used for leverage (holding people in place), choking, pulling, etc. It alot easier to grab a gi than it is a sweaty rashguarded arm... you'll see.

Congrats on starting bjj - you'll love it.

Chang Style Novice
02-22-2003, 11:10 AM
I think a terrycloth bathrobe should be fine.

And an ascot.

And bunny slippers.

And a bubble pipe.

SevenStar
02-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a standard taiji uniform.

Chang Style Novice
02-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Don't be ridiculous. We taiji players are much too delicate for terrycloth - it would result in untold numbers of injuries if we were to try that. We require silk.

SevenStar
02-22-2003, 11:29 AM
What about the guys that wear cotton or polyester? Are they stronger or just cheap?

Chang Style Novice
02-22-2003, 11:30 AM
That's not REAL taiji.

SevenStar
02-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Ah. That makes sense. I think you should use the bubble pipe though. You can practice various ways of shoting bubbles and say it's your chi.

Former castleva
02-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Does it really make any difference?
I mean do they really make separate gi´s for bjj and judo peeps?
It is hard enough to tell a difference between most JMA etc. type gi´s.Just Get-Gi (good enough)

Chang Style Novice
02-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Also, the soapsuds make it difficult for your opponent to get a good grip on you, and bubbles floating in the air between you and your foe can be a ninjaesque distract-and-evade type weapon.

The bubblepipe is the most underrated of all kungfu weapons.

Former castleva
02-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Pop-eyes pipe would seem threatening for health.

Chang Style Novice
02-22-2003, 12:14 PM
On the one hand, Popeye encourages kids to eat healthy vegetables. On the other, he's a role model who smokes what is probably tobacco.

Probably in the end, he has a net effect of zero on the health of the youth. But he also teaches to stand up to bullies, work hard, don't give up, and don't be a moocher like Wimpy. I think in the end, his moral example overcomes the issues of nicotine addiction.

morbicid
02-22-2003, 12:16 PM
u gotta be really extra careful when grappling the jamie cowboy rugged guys because they have no feelings and probably play too much about stuff like you have to watch you're testicles they have no mercy and will put you in these moves where you're testicles can get all torsed and twisted and you no longer feel like a man after about 5 months of grappling like this so u just say screw it and get a sex change and end up marrying a sailor or a west coast rapper guy and being his boo all because you should have wore your cup while grappling so make sure you wear a good cup ok ?

Former castleva
02-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Pop-eye has no idea about bodybuilding.
His forearms are huge,but upper arms are skinny-very odd imbalance.

SevenStar
02-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Former castleva
Does it really make any difference?
I mean do they really make separate gi´s for bjj and judo peeps?
It is hard enough to tell a difference between most JMA etc. type gi´s.Just Get-Gi (good enough)

Yeah, it makes a diference. Judo gis are longer, and not as stiff. A really stiff gi is harder to do chokes on and keep hold of - A really stiff gi is illegal in judo competition.

In bjj, I've learned some chokes where you pull the bottom of your gi out and use it to help facilitate the choke. In judo, that may not be as efficient because you have to pull that extrra length from under the belt.

SevenStar
02-22-2003, 12:45 PM
As far as the standard JMA gi you mentioned, they aren't designed for grappling - they are way to flimsy. If you do any serious grappling in one, it won't last you a good two weeks. Judo and bjj gi are much heavier.

kenso
02-22-2003, 01:21 PM
I like both Adidas and Mizuno gis. You can probably get by with a relatively inexpensive judo gi from Hsu, Tiger Claw, etc. for regular practice, especially when you start. Having it easier to have chokes applied isn't necessarily a bad thing if you view it as an additional challenge.

Former castleva
02-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Thank you for additional information Sevenstar.

Merryprankster
02-22-2003, 02:49 PM
I like the Atama gold weaves. BUT, they shrink. Mine shrinks to fit me perfectly. You may not be so lucky :)

Sho
02-22-2003, 02:52 PM
A BJJ/judo gi has diagonal (crossed) sewings for enhanced durability.

SevenStar
02-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by kenso
I like both Adidas and Mizuno gis. You can probably get by with a relatively inexpensive judo gi from Hsu, Tiger Claw, etc. for regular practice, especially when you start. Having it easier to have chokes applied isn't necessarily a bad thing if you view it as an additional challenge.

yeah, that's true. I wear a judo gi to bjj.

Oso
02-23-2003, 03:05 PM
I guess Mizuno has a stylized M on it's gi?

If so, that's the one I just ordered for the class I just
started. I think it's what this school uses as it's standard
uniform but it sounds like it's a step up.

cool.

TaoBoy
02-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Atama gold-weave. My one and only. I'll be sticking with Atama when it comes time to buy number two.

KF kimonos look good too. And have been recommended to me.

Sho
02-24-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
Atama gold-weave. My one and only. I'll be sticking with Atama when it comes time to buy number two.Royce wannabe! :D
No, but seriously, I guess they're pretty good.

KF kimonos look good too.What are they?

ShaolinTiger00
02-24-2003, 07:23 AM
Judo gis are longer, and not as stiff. A really stiff gi is harder to do chokes on and keep hold of - A really stiff gi is illegal in judo competition.

Just to clarify a little.

BJJ gi's are tighter fitting (narrower sleeves) and have a slightly shorter "skirt" area. depending on the manf. the pants may have reinforcement patches on the entire leg as opposed to just the knee as judo pants.

"stiffness" isn't just a trait assoc. with one style but actually the weave of a gi.

single weave, golden weave, double weave, and illegal tripple weave (very uncommon)