PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Footwork

Joe Mantis
02-22-2003, 06:23 PM
I've heard mantis hand/monkey footwork as an addage for playing praying mantis style.
Is this monkey foot work patterned after Northern monkey style or tai shing pek war?
Any insights into this aspect of mantis boxing would be appreciated.

mantis108
02-24-2003, 12:53 PM
I am sure opinions on this subject vary from style to style. I am going to provide my view which solely represents my understanding of it.

First off, IMHO, there is a difference between stancework and footwork. Having said that it is by no means that they are seperate identities. Primary concern of footwork is to get you there in the most efficent way, while the primary concern of stancework is to provide you with a good base and structure to generate power. In mantis, footwork is often expressed through the combinations of stances (ie Yuhuan Bu/jabe ring step). One could say that if we take a snapshot of the footwork, we see stances (stancework) in the footwork.

In some mantis traditions, the kneeling stance (minor stance or entering ring stance), is considered to be monkey "footwork". This would have to do with its similar appearance to how the primates stand or walk.

Come to think of it, I have seen some Tong Bei exercise that use similar stances. So I would not rule out Tong Bei's influence in this matter. I am not aware of strong connections between northern monkey and Tai Shing Pek Gwa with Shandong Tanglang.

It is also important to note that mantis often uses footwork to throw, to trap and/or to bait. So this illusive quality for pressing or evading a charge is an attribute of the cunningness of monkey footwork.

Hope this help

Mantis108