PDA

View Full Version : OT: Name my puppy

TaoBoy
02-23-2003, 02:08 PM
I finally got a chance to have a look at the litter of Staffordshire Bull Terriers that some of you will have read about. I got chosen by one of the little guys and he will soon become a part of my family.

Take a look at him:

http://www.topazmultimedia.com.au/users/adam/index.htm

He needs a name. Please make a suggestion.

Peace!

CrippledAvenger
02-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFake.

best. name. evar.

Chang Style Novice
02-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, of the suggestions on your page, Shiva is a goddess, so maybe you want to leave that for if you someday decide to get a Staffie *****. For this guy, perhaps you'd be better off with Hanuman or Arjuna.

He sure is a cute little handful!

TaoBoy
02-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Well, of the suggestions, Shiva is a goddess, so maybe you want to leave that for if you someday decide to get a Staffie *****.

Not entirely correct. Shiva is actually male but has a very femine appearance. I did some reading because I too thought Shiva was female. How surprised was I?

http://www.siamese-dream.com/reference/shiva.html

I won't be using that name anyway.

For this guy, perhaps you'd be better off with Hanuman or Arjuna.

Cool.
Do these names have any special meaning?

Laughing Cow
02-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Logan sounds cool.

I still prefer.

Aaaargghhgetofyer*******.

:D :D

Chang Style Novice
02-23-2003, 02:21 PM
D'oh! Who am I thinking of then? Kali, probably.

Hanuman is a Hindu monkey god - I forget what his attributes are; probably another trickster sort. Arjuna is a great mythical warrior from the Baghavad Gita.

Fred Sanford
02-23-2003, 02:51 PM
If I was you I would go with the name Steve for you dog, or maybe Killer. Yea, Killer is a cool name.

carly
02-23-2003, 03:07 PM
call him Bruno! A nice, slightly macho name, meaning bear.

old jong
02-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Hoice? ;)

Chang Style Novice
02-23-2003, 03:23 PM
A little more about Arjuna, scooped from a site on comparative religion.

"Arjuna, hero of the Pandavas, is about to confront the army of the Kauravas on the battlefield of Kuruksetra. Among the opposing army are his friends and relatives. Convinced that it would be wrong to kill his own kinsmen, Arjuna is overcome by despair. He lays down his bow and declares that he will not fight.

The God Vishnu, incarnated as the charioteer Krishna, explains that Arjuna should do his duty and do battle. The human soul, which is part of the universal soul, is immortal - therefore no-one is actually slain. If people perform the duties appropriate to their station, without attachment to success or failure, then they cannot be stained by action. The rest of the poem provides the full philosophy underlying this insight."

Former castleva
02-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Hehe.
That is like Chinese peeps naming dogs,with Indian names though...

How about "gou" (3rd tone) meaning dog?
From mandarin is that.

Besides this,you might not want to give him a complicated name,dogs "consume" short names better.

old jong
02-23-2003, 03:36 PM
This reminds me of one of my friends who used to tell that he was calling his wife ..."Hey"..."Hey bring me a beer!" ;)

BTW, my last dog ,a boxer was called "Popeye"

Souljah
02-23-2003, 03:59 PM
this may not be intelligent, strong, courageous, fearless..

"Blaze"?

Just by the colour of his coat i guess

dezhen2001
02-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Frank.

:D

nah seriously - he looks real cute buddy :) a name... hmmm... sorry cant think of a good one :( Gou or Gau (canto) as in the chinese for dog sounds kinda cool for a name hehe

dawood

Laughing Cow
02-23-2003, 04:18 PM
How about "Jock".

As from "Jock of the Bushveld"

dezhen2001
02-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Loki or Logan sound good!

dawood

shaolin kungfu
02-23-2003, 04:28 PM
One of my friends couldn't think of a name for his dog and just called him "dog".

TaoBoy
02-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
Loki or Logan sound good!

dawood

I *really* like Loki - but some texts list ho=im as the Norse God of Evil. Now, that ain't a good thing. Mischief is okay - but evil!?

I also *really* like Logan but my girlfriend doesn't like it. I know it's ultimately my choice but it would be nice to pick a name we both like. That said her dog is called Sen (Czech for dream) and I don't like it all that much.

dezhen2001
02-23-2003, 04:37 PM
I *really* like Loki - but some texts list ho=im as the Norse God of Evil. Now, that ain't a good thing. Mischief is okay - but evil!? you saw the Mask! :eek:

dawood

Former castleva
02-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Mask is awesome.

Stanley? :D

TaoBoy
02-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
you saw the Mask! :eek:

dawood

Yes I saw it.

Explain yourself Big D!

:confused:

joedoe
02-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Deefer
What about Romulus (reared by a female wolf, giving Rome its name)? Or his brother Remus(sp?)
Or take a leaf out of Harry Potter - Fluffy (then you could let Fluffy off the chain) :D

TaoBoy
02-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Still thinking.

FYI - the pup's mum is called Renis and it's dad is Ripper.

Chowmein
02-23-2003, 05:33 PM
I have a Red Healer named 'Blue. And a Blue Healer named 'Red'.

TaoBoy
02-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Chowmein
I have a Red Healer named 'Blue. And a Blue Healer named 'Red'.

Makes perfect sense.
By that logic - what would you call a tan dog?

:confused:

Surferdude
02-23-2003, 05:48 PM
How bout ****head?????? From the movie the jerk???
"This dogs a hero!!!!"
" Hey mister u don call that dog hero, you call him ****head!!!"
Thats always good:D :p

Chowmein
02-23-2003, 06:23 PM
TB,

Abbo.

dezhen2001
02-23-2003, 06:46 PM
TaoBoy: in the film they say the mask is the mask of Loki... that was all... hence the mischeif and also evil depending on the person. Maybe i paid too much attention :confused:

dawood

triskellin
02-23-2003, 07:38 PM
that is such a cute puppy!!!! i also had a staffy called bruno. it means brown in old germanic so i thought that was very fitting. he died of prostate cancer though :( u should call him bruno jnr in honour of my dog, hehe. for some reason buster came into mind as well... :D how about pupchow? i think that's a nickname for a poster on another forum, but it sounds cute!

Serpent
02-23-2003, 09:21 PM
"Bollocks"

prana
02-23-2003, 09:50 PM
"Boxer" = self explain
"Chester" = no idea, just came to my head
"tucka" = no idea either
"rambo" = errr Rambo ?
"GaoJai" = cantonese for little doggie boy

I dunno, not good with names, words etc.

quiet man
02-24-2003, 01:54 AM
Here it is, and I can't believe I'm the first one to say it.

Royce

(coz then he could, like, choke all the other puppies)

Cheese Dog
02-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Well, my dog's name is T-bone. (After the famous blues guitarist T-Bone Walker)

Other dogs I have owned in the past--Coco, Macaroni, Biscuit, $hitty, Doc, and Fester.

You might think it's funny to give your dog a name like $hitty, but the fun stops when he's missing and you're walking around the neighborhood yelling "$hiiiiiitty!! Here $hiitty!!!"

TKD
02-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Here's one for ya, it comes from a fictional book written by Raymond E. Feist. Anyways, the name is Calis, he was half elf half Valheru. Valheru being a mighty race that ruled the skies riding on their dragon steeds, conquering other worlds. Had I a boy dog I would have named it this.

morbicid
02-25-2003, 01:08 PM
voltron. name him voltron.

or optimus prime

dwid
02-25-2003, 01:26 PM
megatron

strongbad

zorak

brak

vorkin the flying man

chimichanga

potatoe

obnoxor maximundo

dwid
02-25-2003, 01:30 PM
bodger

retard

grimmis
(you know, like that weird old McDonalds purple thing - what the hell was he, anyway?)

bob barker

orwell

Robbie
02-25-2003, 03:28 PM
frell
smeg

Kristoffer
02-25-2003, 04:03 PM
I would call the dog:

WH0RE
SLU.T
B1TCH
or just plain n simple MARIA

:mad:

er.. pardon me. But who the **** names his dog 'smeg'? :D

quiet man
02-26-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by dwid
bodger

retard

grimmis
(you know, like that weird old McDonalds purple thing - what the hell was he, anyway?)

bob barker

orwell

That's amazing! I always thought Bob Barker is a great name for a dog (as seen in that sitcom ALF, I think...)

triskellin
02-26-2003, 04:02 AM
omg i just got a new staffy tonight as well! serious! it's a girl though and she much bigger than the little pup, sorry no pics got no digicam. what should i name her?? she's gold/brownish

joedoe
02-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Goldmember ... oh hang on, it's female :D

PHILBERT
02-26-2003, 06:53 PM
Boddiharma, after the Indian monk who went to the Shaolin Temples.

My instructor named his dog Tsun, of course he practices Wing Tsun. Hehe.

Serpent
02-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Why not name the dog Bruce Lee?

Chang Style Novice
02-26-2003, 09:57 PM
One friend of mine makes sure to live with a pet for a while before choosing a name. She's kind of odd, once she's gotten to know the critter, she looks it in the eye and says "What's your name?" and whatever comes into her mind is the thing's new name.

I also knew a couple with a passel of cats, each named for some flavor - Coco, Cinnamon, Pepper, Sugar, Lemon, etc..

Still, I like Arjuna.

dwid
02-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Okay, so you can't use Orwell now, because my girlfriend wants to name our oneday German Shepherd Orwell.

Here are some other names:

Cornelius

Semtex

Ricardo

Stillgar

Chang Style Novice
02-27-2003, 07:59 AM
re: Orwell

or you could name your pup after other famous idealist revolutionaries. I for one would very much like to name a daughter "Emma Goldman Swinburn" Other possibilities:

Joe Hill
Big Bill (or 'Haywood')
Ma Jones
Leon (or 'Trots')
Spartacus
Nat (or 'Turner')
Cinque
Robespierre
Locke
Washington
Lafayette
and so on

or you could go the other way and just call him "Running Dog."

dwid
02-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Thomas Paine is a good one,

but the inevitable problem is Thomas is too general, and Paine would be interpreted as "pain" by everyone, who would totally miss the point.

I like Orwell because his dystopian vision is hinged on an interpretation of human nature that views people as having essentially the same attributes that make for a really disciplined watchdog.

Huxley was another one I considered, but the dystopian vision there is based on the inherent laziness of the human population, so it would be a better name for a lapdog of some kind.

Chang Style Novice
02-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Well, you could go with T.P., but that might leave everyone wondering what kind of relationship you have with the dog anyway!:eek:

Kaitain(UK)
02-27-2003, 08:35 AM
MegaMutt
SlapsyWankChops
BigNuts
Nutter
BigYin
Fats
Bertie
Dubya (if he's retarded :))
Tony (if he ignores what you and your family say, and obeys next door's dog instead)
Cecil

cranial excrement ends

Chang Style Novice
02-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Say, is "Locke and Paine" two of the most influential political philosophers of all time or what happens when a BJJ guy can't spell?

Repulsive Monkey
02-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Skinny as in Skinny-Puppy
Taffie (if its a Welsh Staffie)
Gloria (even if its male so it can get into its feminine aspect usually by humping anyone's leg regardless of gender!!)
Satan (its always popular for ugly dogs)
or set it on into liberation and call it Siddartha

TaoBoy
02-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions!

I've got the following names at the top of my list:

- Loki
- Logan
- Riley

Still I'm a long way form deciding. I may wait until the little fella comes home and chooses his own name. :)

It looks like I'll have to wait until after Easter to pick him up as I will be away for 10 days and don't want to pick him up, care for him for 2 weeks then leave and then come back.