PDA

View Full Version : Canada vs WI

Block
02-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Wow Davidson scoring 111!

The commentators couldn't believe it. I liked the comment by one of them that that Davidson should be the next Prime Minister :)

But of course, even though Davidson was born in Canada he was raised and trained in Australia :D

Oh and to keep some sort of relevance to this forum:

Rene: Your articles and publications have been great. Keep up the good work. My Sifu even bought me one of your books :)

Cheers Wing Chun and Cricket fans

yuanfen
02-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Well I was a batsman- long before I became a wing chunner.
Better at wing chun as a geezer than I was at bat. as young un- never a century for the ole school colors.But the good batsmen- all went to fat...

No one would play cricket or soccer when i came to the US-
now lots of soccer and some cricket by new immigrants.
And, they thought field hockey was a girl's game!

joy

yuanfen
02-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Well I was a batsman- long before I became a wing chunner.
Better at wing chun as a geezer than I was at bat. as young un- never a century for the ole school colors.But the good batsmen- all went to fat...

No one would play cricket or soccer when i came to the US-
now lots of soccer and some cricket by new immigrants.
And, they thought field hockey was a girl's game!

joy

Mr Punch
02-25-2003, 12:10 AM
What, Canada managed to beat the Women's Institute at cricket!!!;) The poor ol' dears must have eaten too many scones before the match!:D

reneritchie
02-25-2003, 07:28 AM
Joy, there is an old saying "in cricket, fear the strength of youth, in WCK, fear the skill of age." LOL!

Block - Thanks for the kind words!

yuanfen
02-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Rene- a few times when for fun I joined some South Asians playing cricket- just for the heck of it I would try batting- found out that I was "deflecting" better than before and stroking the ball better--- but of course I would leave running for a century
to the foolish sportsmen.

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
02-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Um, could we please NOT discuss cricket on the Wing Chun forum....

yuanfen
02-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Ok- it was a civil interlude from dealing with some non iformative posts- irrespective of the titles of threads. Talking about swinging a bat could be a discussion in mixed martial arts- but I understand and respect your concerns- so , no more cricket from me.

reneritchie
02-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Metaphor, I tell you! Allegory! We were using cricket as a thin facade to trick the UK and colonialists into learning WCK theory... Yeah, that's it! That's the ticket!

yuanfen
02-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Rene- to keep it wing chun relevant....when I was throwing rocks at them in the 40s- -they didnt know any wing chun---neither did
I...but what do details have to do with anything. They were using Indians against Indians-in keeping with colonialist traditions- they were willing to fight to the last Indian(Sikh, Gurkha, Baluch etc)...
but learning wing chun by them may bring some civility- as it did in my case.

After all-
Wing chun is serious business- dont hit when you shouldnt---
at least that's half of it.Never mind the other half- there be dragons there.

yuanfen-not gunga din

(PS Sandman- there is no cricket here-just a fast fading thread))