carly
02-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Check out the bottom five showing master Hwang (Wong) An-Sik in action:
ttp://www.worldhapkido.no/videos.htm

Mr Punch
02-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks, those were pretty funny!

Now I can see why hapkido is so much better than aikido!:rolleyes:

Man, let's see if we can turn this into a South Park Celebrity Death Match... aikido vs hapkido...: 'Yeah! Cripple Fight!!!':D

carly
02-24-2003, 08:24 PM
http://www.worldhapkido.no/videos.htm

Mr Punch
02-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks again...

They're still pretty funny!:D

Former castleva
02-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Yeah.
Have not checked those out yet but good to post some HKD stuff.
There are various sites with great clips.

Former castleva
02-25-2003, 05:57 AM
Why exactly are they funny?
Bad resolution? I looked at some of them,some of the stuff was a bit concerning but there also was material with hapkido character. :)
And yes,even groundfighting! :eek: :)

Fujin
02-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this board.

I don't mean to make any waves with this, but these Hapkido mpeg's show exactly what is wrong with typical Hapkido training...
incredibly compliant uke/tore (sorry I don't know the Korean term)
relationship training...obviously the instructor was the aggressor, and the student was the recipient. I'd love to see the instructor teach those cane techniques under realistic conditions (i.e. having his student thwart his technique any which way possible.)

I realize not all Dojangs are like that, but I've quite a lot that are...and it's sad really...dojo sheep mentality will get you a reservation with a stretcher. :(

ryan

Former castleva
02-25-2003, 11:25 AM
I agree.
However,these are demonstrations for long.
Things being like that,what they probably pay most attention to is correct technique flow in order to make it look as wished.

What you said is what I hear about aikido etc. a lot,I have little idea whether hapkido is that much the way.Grappling is quite similar coming from the same background (with emphasis of certain roughness on hapkido :) )
So I guess thatīs where such would come out,all the striking/kicking is a different deal to a degree.
However,I did not watch all of the clips.

Former castleva
02-25-2003, 11:25 AM
And welcome.

red5angel
02-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Am I correctin surmising that for those flips to be successful your opponent must know what you are doing?

Shadowboxer
02-25-2003, 11:50 AM
No, if someone doesn't know how to receive those techniques (getting flipped), they get broken wrists, dislocated shoulders and elbows instead:D

Former castleva
02-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Well put.
A flip may look exaggerated,and sometimes maybe...
but it is healthier than less good-looking hard landing on oneīs head which is likely to happen in a real confrontation.

red5angel
02-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Thats essentially the conclusion I came to, that if you dont know what is going on you are more likely to end up with a broken wrist or shoulder. I guess either way as long as it gets the job done!

Former castleva
02-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Yep,yep.
A bit like aikido,hapkido uses similar motion and should theoretically get the job done without much damage but it is a bit hard to say in various cases.
Of course there are techniques that can be used for both,say an elbow lock and an elbow snap.

red5angel
02-25-2003, 12:17 PM
All I know is that everytime I see these hapkido or aikido flips and tosses I kepp thinking about me being the "victim" and how many joints I would have broken without so much as a flop!!

Former castleva
02-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Yeah.
They should,in instances,give one some "space" to take a fall the way you do not go down fatally.
Not like you slam someone so hard they will,most likely,fall hard and crippled.
I think this is more evident in aikido since you use bigger "circles" to move with while hapki can be more "agressive".