PDA

View Full Version : WC gives up their center?

cha kuen
02-25-2003, 01:24 AM
I was watching a guy's waterboxing class and he was demonstrating that how a slight movement in his body changes his center so that the opponent cannot find it. Once the opponent finds it, he moves his body slightly and his center disappears again.

Do you guys think that wing chun allows the other guy to find the center easily? But then again, we practice protecting our center everyday........

any thoughts?

KPM
02-25-2003, 04:22 AM
I wouldn't say WCK "gives up" the centerline. The phrase I have heard that seems more appropriate is "hiding" the centerline. We defend our own centerline while attacking along the opponent's centerline. Part of that defense can consist of moving our centerline off of the line of the opponent's attack...whether this is by shifting/pivoting or taking a step...while we cover with some sort of hand technique. This effectively "hides" our centerline from the opponent's attack. But we haven't "given up" anything. We should still be in an advantageous position.

Keith

reneritchie
02-25-2003, 07:53 AM
What's the center line? Is it the line down your own vertical center? The mutual line that connects your center to your opponent's? Your center of gravity? The dynamic center of gravity that exists between you and your opponent?

Wingman
02-25-2003, 08:13 PM
If it is the line down your own vertical center or your center of gravity, then you should not let your opponent know where it is.

If it is the mutual line that connects your center to your opponent's, then by all means occupy, control, and defend it. If by some circumstance you can no longer defend it, you may have to give it up and create another mutual centerline.

YungChun
03-01-2003, 02:23 AM
Amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if half the"WCK people" around here don't even know what the Centerline is. Says a lot about the state of our art.

WCK moves the Centerline too - One way is by 'turning' perhaps in part a Snake influence in the art.

Mckind13
03-01-2003, 02:46 AM
RR Wrote What's the center line? Is it the line down your own vertical center? The mutual line that connects your center to your opponent's? Your center of gravity? The dynamic center of gravity that exists between you and your opponent?

David Writes

Yes

David McKinnon