PDA

View Full Version : Making a Wooden Dummy

TheHype112
02-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Have any of you guys built your own wooden dummy?

If so, what plans did you use and what materials?

I've heard a lot of people use pvc pipe instead of wood for the main base due to it being cheap and coming in the correct size, but how would you add balanced weight to that construction to give it more live energy?

Just looking for an alternative for those of us who don't have $700 to buy one...

~Eric

Stevo
02-26-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi

I made a PVC one last year and also found myself a good log out bush to make a proper wooden dummy when I have time.

I found the PVC lying around at an abandoned minesite.

If you use PVC, mark the holes carefully then drill just inside them with a bit big enough to fit a small hole saw into (cost about $5) and use it to cut to the edges of the holes.

I made the frame out of secondhand hardwood that I got for free from a demolition site and joined them with halving joints using 3/8" bolts.

I made the leg out of a branch I found out bush (shaped a bit with my drawknife) but had the arms turned by a professional woodturner as I haven't got a lathe and didn't feel like facing the task with my drawknife because they should be shaped symmetrically in x-section. Natural legs are quite easy to find in country areas - just find a downed tree and choose and trim a suitable fork. I have several spares.

There are lots of free plans available on the internet, eg Dan Lucas'. Try a search on Google.

If you have some basic woodworking skills and some time, you can make one cheaply and save a lot of money.

Maybe you could use some concrete or wood inside the PVC pipe to add weight to it, or even water inside compartments. I haven't bothered because I'm only using mine for positioning practice at this stage - haven't started learning the dummy form yet.

Email me if you need more info.

Stevo

kungfu cowboy
02-28-2003, 06:46 AM
No WAY! They are way worth the money! So much craftsmanship and really really technical labor go into that! $100 worth of wood and parts, and the rest goes to incredibly precise neurosurgical type precision labor intensive woodworking with electrically poweredshop tools! Backbreaking labor, and worth all the bloody sweat and tears! I will take two please! They are practically giving them away!

flavour54
02-28-2003, 07:17 AM
Hello everyone maybe this will help.

gnugear
02-28-2003, 11:00 PM
I made my dummy and it was NOT an easy task. Not sure if I would do it again.