PDA

View Full Version : a typical class / a typical work out

5thBrother
02-26-2003, 05:13 AM
Hi all.

anyone would liek to share a typical class at there school? and a typical personal training/work out. what kinda things do u do? please say what style also.

thanks

HuangKaiVun
02-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Sure, no problem.

Although I have an open schedule (exception being kids' class from 6:30-7 PM on weeknights), most guys that train at my school do so about 3-5 nights a week for about an hour each night.

Because our style doesn't have set techniques, our classes don't have set curricula. But we do manage to go from conditioning to classical techniques to conditioned reflex training (i.e. sparring) in one class each day.

Were you to visit a class at "Huang's Kung Fu Academy", you'd see a bunch of sweaty men and women applying and countering kung fu techniques on each other.

Golden Arms
02-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Class is 2 hours. First half hour is standing in stances and then doing a bunch of basic footwork in low stances while working various hand movements. After that we do some 2 person hitting drills for 10 minutes, then break up the class into each persons personal level they are working on. Drill them on their movements, stances, basics etc, then for the last 10 minutes they pair up and free spar (semi to full contact at their discretion) if they are past a certain point, usually about a year or two into the system, otherwise they do drills where one person attacks, the other blocks and counters, then they go back to neutral and go again. Then we do kicks, pushups, situps, some breathing, and then work through each form as a group after class through the ones that each person knows, then you are free to workout or leave at your discretion. Style is Hung Gar.

David
02-28-2003, 03:54 AM
spm, 2hours + a bit before/after depending.

Start:
salute
Warmup loosening/stretches
Footwork
add in rooting
add in kicks
add in hands
Drills or mantis pushups to exhaustion

Partner training:
Grinding arms
Grinding legs
Qigong
+ more similar - varying each lesson

Fighting skills - any or all the following:
Individuals go through forms getting guidance
ppl partner up for routines and experiment
weapons forms and partner work

End:
Qigong
Specific conditioning
mantis pushups
salute

Time spent on each varies with each lesson's emphasis and the teacher taking the session (I train with 3 during the week)

-David

5thBrother
02-28-2003, 04:57 AM
thanks. very interesting.

hi david. can u describe to me what is a mantis push ups?

thanks

5thBro

tparkerkfo
02-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Hello,
Our training starts with basic warm up and stretches you would find at many schools. Jumping jacks, pushups, situps. Various leg and waist stretching.

We sometimes focus on the stances and will do stance training by sitting in the stance for about 10 minutes or so. Then we then move to basics, several punching and kicking drills, some of which may be unique to our style.

After that we work on our own stuff for about an hour. Usually forms.

Nothing is set in stone, so sometimes we do sparring or application training or what not. We change things up here and there, but this is a typical work out. Lasts about an hour and a half.

Tom Parker
Hung Gar
________
Santeria advice (http://www.religionboard.org/santeria/)

fiercest tiger
02-28-2003, 01:47 PM
classes 3 hrs long

warm ups
stretching
sometimes ab workouts and pushups
kicking and punching pads for speed, timing, strength. so heavy bag, sheilds, focus mits, partners.
stances, mobility, static, partners
conditioning, 3 , 5, 7 star and legs as well as body
techniques, standing or ground work, work on varies combo's and scenarios.

sensitivity, free hand, mor sau, toy sau etc as well sparring from the free hand chi sau.

Forms, rings no rings

lion dancing

chi kung
health exercises and storing the energy in dan tian

home to bed!!

David
03-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Oh dear, how to describe a mantis pushup..?

1.Start
Feet close, bum high, hands shoulder width, ELBOWS POINTING BACKWARDS.
(Another way of describing the arm position: lie on your face with your hands by your shoulders and your elbows against your sides. Push straight up. That's the arm position.)

2. Point your head straight down and dive it to the floor. The elbows should come down to a hairs-breadth above the floor. Pull yourself forwards into a crocodile pose

3. Reverse that path back to the start position.

4. Next, pull yourself forwards 'over the top' and lower yourself down by bending the elbows into the crocodile pose.

5. Push up and back to the start position.

I understand it's similar to "Chinese Pushups" except Chinese Pushups you only go down once.

-David

SevenStar
03-01-2003, 10:22 PM
sounds similar to a hindu pushup.

5thBrother
03-01-2003, 10:27 PM
David: thanks for the description :)

good torture indeed! :)

David
03-02-2003, 03:42 AM
The pain! hehe

7* got it right - I was confused: mantis pushups are apparently similar to Hindu Pushups etc etc.

We tried 3 hour classes a while ago... In retrospect, perhaps the extended classes should have been paced differently/slower. :D

-David