PDA

View Full Version : Working out & eating

joedoe
02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
This question has probably already been asked a dozen times here already so I apologize for bringing it up again.

How much time after a workout should you wait before eating?
And
How long after eating should you wait before you workout?

I have heard so many conflicting opinions that I am confused. I have finally joined a gym and am planning to start with improving my aerobic fitness and losing a bit of weight - so I am not looking to bulk up or anything just yet. I won't be taking any supplements but will be cleaning up my diet :).

Any help would be appreciated.

morbicid
02-26-2003, 06:38 PM
after your workout, there is a three hour window in which you should not eat anything, due to safety reasons (such as nausea, and cramps). wait at least three hours after a workout before eating anything of considerable volume. it is not much use to the body during that three hour period anyway, as it will not get absorbed as well as other times (they say the body absorbs food the most during breakfast, so eat a good breakfast to provide fuel for energy throughout the day). light snacking is okay though, if you are hungry. preferrably, it is best to work out about two hours before bed, and not eat anything until the next morning.

also, do not eat to close to a workout. your food needs proper time to digest so that all those nutrients can be efficiently used for energy for your body. in my experience, and from what i've heard from various sources, wait at least four or five hours after eating before doing any serious working out excercise (preferrably 6 hours). have you ever read warnings and such about how you shouldnt swim within two hours after eating? (because of cramps and risk of drowning/injury)

well weight lifting is similar (although there's no risk of drowning of coarse lol). seriously though, try to avoid eating before a workout... you'll thank yourself later.

there are many differing opinions on this, but this is my individual opinion on the matter, which i've benefitted from (a lot!) over the years. well anyways i wish you much luck with your training, and be safe.

cheers

Serpent
02-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Sorry morb, gotta disagree a bit there.

Don't eat right before training, but snack an hour or two before you begin so that your body has fuel. If you want to burn fat then training in the morning before breakfast is good as your body has no fuel to burn from food and goes straight for the fat reserves. Just start slow doing that. Otherwise, it's good to give your body a bit of food fuel first. After 20 minutes or so of training you will start to utilise fat reserves anyway.

However, where I really disagree is with the eating after training bit. No way would I train and then eat nothing and then go to bed! Way to lose muscle, man.

Always eat after training, high protein if you're trying to bulk up. Wait until you are well warmed down and relaxed, maybe even an hour after training, but no more. Man, if I don't eat within an hour after training then I get really dizzy and untogether.

Well, more dizzy and untogether than usual anyway.

As with any diet advice, this will vary from person to person, but I strongly recommend eating after training.

joedoe
02-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

IronFist
02-26-2003, 09:51 PM
After a workout is when your body is most craving nutrients. Eat something with protein in it for obvious reasons, and eat something with carbs in it to restore glycogen levels (or something). I would recommend eating something within an hour of finishing a workout. But you should probably wait until you've calmed down a bit... like 15 minutes or so. You can tell when you feel like eating.

As for eating before a workout do what feels right. Sometimes I'll grab a burger like an hour before a workout. Othertimes if I had a huge meal I won't want to work out for 3 or 4 hours. Listen to your body. There's no preset advice that's best for everyone.

Personally, I can't work out on an empty stomach. I need the energy of food I've eaten all day to have a good workout. But everyone is different.

IronFist

Serpent
02-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Heh. That's almost exactly what I said!

;)

joedoe
02-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. I figured that would probably be the answer - follow what works for me. I think I am similar to Serpent & Ironfist in that I like to have something to eat a while before working out and if I eat afterwards I have to wait about 1/2 hour first (I usually try to re-hydrate before I start eating).

I'll let you know how I get on :)

Repulsive Monkey
02-27-2003, 05:41 AM
what you said just there is correct, eating just before a workout so terribly detrimental to the body and so is eating straight after too, this is just pure fact. anything to half to a whole hour is good both sides of your training otherwise the digestion either interferes with the work out and increased circulatory step-up or the other way around, which results in poor training and possible future digestive complaints, its just common sense really.

morbicid
02-27-2003, 09:41 AM
"Sorry morb, gotta disagree a bit there." ~ post by serpent

lol did you guys actually think i was serious ??

i think that was the worst advice i ever gave :)

joedoe
03-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Did my first weights workout yesterday (was having my program put together by one of the gym staff). I forgot how much they hurt the day after :(.

On the upside, I have only been going to the gym for a week or so now but I already feel better. It may be psychological, but hey I still feel better :)

prana
03-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey Buddy,

Hope you are well.....

I go for the eat after half-hour of training too. Works well for me !

Serpent
03-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by morbicid
"Sorry morb, gotta disagree a bit there." ~ post by serpent

lol did you guys actually think i was serious ??

i think that was the worst advice i ever gave :)

So, for once, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt yet you still proved to be a ****wit. Ah, well, what can you do?

joedoe
03-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Hi guys, what can I do to avoid soreness after a weights workout? Does stretching help? Do should I just stop whining and deal with the pain? (I can barely move my upper body right now) :(

Serpent
03-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Stretching will help. Also, another great method is this: When you shower after your workout have the water nice and hot. When you are done with the soap and the shampoo and the genital moisturisers (I know your sort!) then stand under the hot water for a minute or two, then turn the hot off and stand under a cold shower for a few seconds, then turn the heat back up. Do this several times in a row; hot, cold, hot, cold. On a hot day I finish with the cold water and vice versa on a cold day. This will really help, I guarantee it. I shower this way always now after training.

Of course, there's always going to be some muscle ache after any kind of working out if you've been working hard enough, so stop being such a whiny *****.

joedoe
03-09-2003, 08:31 PM
The stretching worked. Did my 2nd workout yesterday and my today my muscles are tired but not sore. Thanks for the help Serp :)

Serpent
03-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
The stretching worked. Did my 2nd workout yesterday and my today my muscles are tired but not sore. Thanks for the help Serp :)

:) Any time.

Serpent
03-09-2003, 09:37 PM
BTW, IronFist and Repulsive Monkey had some input too, so don't just thank me! ;)

Of course, you can ignore morbicid's lunatic drivel.

joedoe
03-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Belated thanks to IronFist & Repulsive Monkey :)

Serpent
03-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Good lad.

:)