PDA

View Full Version : Leg positioning in push ups

PHILBERT
02-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Do the positioning of the legs on the ground effect the way a push up works? I know the positioning of the arms and how erect the body is determines what muscles are used, but how about the legs? Thanks.

vi3tsoccerplaya
02-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Your legs are used for balance.

PHILBERT
02-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Well, in Yoga, we do a sequence where we do push ups with our feet together, then hop our feet out, push up, then hop them back together. I find it dumb, but thought I'd try.

rubthebuddha
02-26-2003, 11:17 PM
and weight distribution. to make a pushup harder, take one leg and rest it on the back of the plant leg so the front of one ankle is on the achilles tendon of the plant foot. this helps distribute the weight a little more forward and make it more difficult for your upper body, and make balace a slight issue.

want to make it even harder?

take that non-plant leg and lift it up parallel to the ground. keep the foot in the same spot as the rest of your body moves. this shifts even more weight forward and makes it more fun.

just make sure in each of these that you maintain a straight line from heel to crown. if you lift one leg up, keep the heel of the plant leg in one line up your body to your crown.

jbmmaster
02-27-2003, 05:16 PM
How bout 2 legs instead of one.

TkdWarrior
02-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, in Yoga, we do a sequence where we do push ups with our feet together, then hop our feet out, push up, then hop them back together. I find it dumb, but thought I'd try.

dude this is called Surya Namaskar. it's the one of good yoga's n specially done at time when Sun is growing in the morning... when it's redissh/copperish in colour, Sun=Surya

it's something like 8 peiece of brocade Qigung,
Surya Namaskar hav some set of sequence which works out whole body...

anyways coming back to question..
yup posititioning does work a bit. in this sequence u hav ur legs closed n dive like u do in hindu pushups.
it's doesn't work MUCH with legs basically shoulder n when u hav completed this posture into Snake(sarpa aasan) it helps ur Back Bone.
-TkdWarrior-