PDA

View Full Version : stress knots

prana
02-26-2003, 10:52 PM
The question : how to reduce stress on the physical level ?
Are there any keys points that one can poke a needle at to release the stress collected (acupuncture) ? WHat can help reduce and relax these stressed blockages ?

Through my very limited meditation, I have found out a few things about stress.

For me personally, stress is stored strongly on the limbs and shoulders. The key areas are ---

The muscle right next to your shins on your legs. Say if its your right leg, the muscle is just tot he right of the shin. If you push that, a lot of frustration is released.

Next, stress is stored as tenseness and irritation on your extensors (or between your extensors) of your forearms. This usualyl shows up as a weakness, irritation and again when pressed,is painful and causes much frustration.

And next, is the shoulders connecting the deltoid but not really the large group of muscles, but the very subtle perhaps those righ next to the bones (smooth muscles?). I am not quite sure as this is a little more subtle.

When stressed, these areas become irritable and feels like someone is literally irritating you with a feather, and yet it cannot be stopped because its inside somehow.... One then reacts by wanting it to go away and the whole defilement becomes anger and more anger, and there it goes into the cycle of madness...... heat then arises, and the skin becomes irritated, causing more stress and so on and so forth.... before reacting in a more gross matter trying to overcome the frustration....

how weak it is my mind is victimised by this silly sensation :( Care to help anyone

harry_the_monk
02-27-2003, 03:50 AM
HI prana,

I think I get the same problem with a lot of my sitting practise.
It is hard but it is important to keep the mind focused. Sometimes I think it is better to take a break in posture, even if only momentarily to ease the pain (if you cannot ignore it by concentrating on the breath.)
I will still try to keep my mind centred, but before I allow the anger to arise will try to relax more the temnse area. Sometimes I will do few shoulder rolls f/wd and b/wd to ease the stress around the shoulder blades.

I haven't found a suitable way to dissolve the stress around the other areas yet. Hopefully this will help, if not then ignore it.

Om mani peme hung.

Repulsive Monkey
02-27-2003, 05:36 AM
From what I gather these can either be long held areas that only raise their heads through long moments of holding thus causing stagnation on a qi level, or incorrect posture. If it's the latter then thast too will give rise to qi stagnation too. I am not accomplished in seated meditation, in fact I crave to find the time to devote myself to more aswell as doing the bare minium seated 8-Brocades, but do know only too well that I haven't yet attain perfect posture to sustain long practice. My legs still go to sleep and get horrible pins and needles due to the channels closing, however stress knots, in general, can be solved by getting someone else to apply pressure directly into the heart of the area even if it gives off a little pain. If there were onther symptomatology then it may not be so ap[propriate to do so, however if it is thru Qi stagnation then the body and surrounding area of concern will thank you for it. In Acupuncture, one would label it as a A-Shi point i.e. not an actual acupuncture point but an area where needle stimulation will relax and dispel the area of stagnation or pathogenic invasions. The method I prefer though is someone to oil the area and use their knuckles and deep penetrative manipulation to loosen the stagnation and expel it.

ZIM
02-27-2003, 06:09 AM
try this (http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/491_1.cfm) along with your meditation regimen, focusing on ridding the stress in those areas. By the description it sounds like an issue regarding downward vs, upward rotation of scapulae.

Interesting, BTW, in how different ppl hold stress or kinds of stress, perhaps...for me its typically in the center of the back, cascading and taking over when a discrete [non-chronic] stressful event is over... chronic stress seems more often stored at a deeper level in the lower back until the upper back gets involved to say [in effect] "hey! wake up and take care of this!" :)

edit: better description (http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/153_1.cfm). also, it may help to review the physical characteristics of your lotus pose, if you do this frequently

harry_the_monk
02-28-2003, 12:44 AM
ZIM Thankyou for the yoga suggestions. When I went on a week long retreat I used a lot of yoga in the break times to ease the stresses. I forgot how effective they were. I would actually reccommend doing some if you are meditating regularly.
It is very good for releasing the stress knots/stagnated qi as if you hold the moves for a long time the qi has to move.
RM I am often wondering what the sensation is, but am drawn more recently to believe that it is due to qi being unable to move that most of the pains arise I think this does lead to the stress knots forming. Also the mind may get irritated by the sensations of the qi being halted in its tracks. Do try to do regular meditation if you can. It can be easy to do a few minutes before the main qi-gong exercise. It will be easier to add to an established routine.
I do agree with the idea of getting another person to manipulate the area. They can also sometimes feel the blockages better.

Just MHO.
Peace.

ZIM
02-28-2003, 10:44 AM
That sounds very much like child's pose. (http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/475_1.cfm) Very restful, agreed. :)

Interesting..as this is a part of the sequence- lotus, downward facing dog, then child's poses...