PDA

View Full Version : Hand Wraps

Oso
02-27-2003, 09:33 AM
How are these used in mma, san shou or other full contact
training? Is it the same as boxing?

Losttrak
02-27-2003, 09:56 AM
yes... as it serves the exact same function.

Oso
02-27-2003, 10:00 AM
which is exactly what?

I've heard it is to protect the hand from the high level of impact.

Sho
02-27-2003, 12:06 PM
They also support the fists when boxing gloves are worn.

Golden Arms
02-27-2003, 01:15 PM
They are also for people that dont do hand conditioning and/or use proper hand alignment when they hit IMHO. Not trying to insult anyone, but really, are you ever going to be wearing hand wraps if you have to use your skills outside of a ring/school? This is the same reason its a good idea to train with shoes, without shoes, and also with the shoes you wear day to day once in a while, so that you know what things will be like in a less than picture perfect environment. Opinions?

Suntzu
02-27-2003, 01:46 PM
they're used to protect the wrist and hands during training… when u train u throws hundreds of punches… that's a lot of wear and tear… but 'in the streets' :rolleyes:… you'll only throw a few… if that many… no need having a bad wrist or whatever for the 'real' thing... when u cant prevent it by training safely...

Golden Arms
02-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Hmm..dont mean its wrong to wear something to protect your hands, like bag gloves, but why wear something to brace your wrists instead of building up your wrists instead? I have been doing heavy bag workouts for years without using wraps, you should try it :)

Suntzu
02-27-2003, 02:03 PM
actually I 'try it' often… but its safer for me to protect myself when training as much as possible… 1 mistake and on injury could have me 'on the bench'… he\\… sex is better w/o a rubber…

Oso
02-27-2003, 02:14 PM
well, you guys started talking about what I was going to ask.

I can see both sides of it though.

If you are punching a heavy bag 100's of times I guess I would
have to say that your wrists are indeed getting stronger even
with the wraps.

I would have initially been thinking the same as GA but Suntzu
has a point.

Golden Arms
02-27-2003, 03:32 PM
I see his point, but I have also managed to go for 4 years of hard heavy bag workouts with no wrist injuries as well, so dont totally write it off :) It is smart for training I would have to agree..but why fight with them on? It always makes me wonder if guys are not confident in their fist when I see them wrapping up before a fight...

SevenStar
02-27-2003, 07:33 PM
It can be done, but the difference is competition. He actively competes in san shou. If he does happen to hurt his wrist before a fight, then what? Better safe than sorry. He probably trains both ways, but most often uses the wraps as an exptra precaution against an innecessary injury that will hinder his game and training.

Take judo as another example - you don't go all out in practice, you don't try to resist every throw, even if you are off balance. If someone has you way off balance, it's much safer to fall - it's only training anyway, so there's nothing to lose by falling, unless you have ego probs. Now, if you are in a national competition, then it's balls to the wall. Why have a knee blown from resisting a throw in practice, when you could've just fallen, gotten back up and finished training?

Suntzu
02-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Basically…

Mr. Bao
02-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Yes, it shares the same purpose and goals. Protecting your hands and wrists from injuries that might occur during fighting.