PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training Input

Golden Arms
02-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Ok, got a quick one for you guys. I am curious about this because I have never tried it:

If I lift heavy (say squats for this example) but only do very low reps (3-5) and never to failure. Can I lift like this every day or at least more often than every other day and see strength and or size gains? This is similar to the kind of heavier work you find your self doing on a farm or in some construction type jobs, and I wonder if this is a viable way to build strength?

Ford Prefect
02-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Nope. You will be able to for a time, but you will eventually burn out your nervous system and joints. It is best to cycle in lower weights, higher reps, and/or more rest days. Your body makes its gains while you are rest...

You don't lift heavy in construction. I worked as a laborer on various construction sites for a summer job (ie you lift all the crap) and I never really did heavy lifting. The concrete bags were the heaviest, but the sheet rock was the biggest pain the arse. ;)

Golden Arms
02-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I guess now that I think about it, my heaviest objects I would lift would be around 100lb, but just a lot of that over the course of a day. Hmm..so rest I am familiar with, as well as working out the way I have been for a while (modified ptp sort of). But what is this about bringing in higher reps and the like..can you give me some details friend?

Ford Prefect
02-27-2003, 01:49 PM
PTP will actually take care of that. Since at the beginning of each mesocycle you start with a small weight to build up to maximal over weeks, you won't burn your nervous system out and joints recover from the heavy sessions. I think PTP has some drawbacks, but it's great for avoiding injuries, plateau's, and over-training.

rubthebuddha
02-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Ford -- what do you think the drawbacks to PTP are?

IronFist
02-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
Ford -- what do you think the drawbacks to PTP are?

I don't know what his drawbacks are, but I'll throw one out there for you. If all you do is PTP, your endurance will go DOWN. Two sets of five reps in a couple of exercises does not do anything for endurance at all. Granted, after one set of 5 heavy deadlifts my heart rate is sometimes up around 140 beats per minute (I don't even know if that's a lot, but it's a lot for me), it's still not good cardio.

I found this out when I switched to some higher volume lifting after a few months of straight PTP. After doing 2 sets of 5 on bench, I couldn't even complete 3 sets of 10 with a much lower weight.

btw, that 3 sets of 10 was part of the 20 rep squat program that I quit after one week. I like 10 sets of 5 much better. But I didn't quit cuz of that, I quit cuz one set of 20 squats gave me unbearable headaches.

IronFist

Ford Prefect
02-28-2003, 09:44 AM
That's basically it. PTP focusses on one small part of the strength puzzle.