PDA

View Full Version : OT Cowboys release Emmit Smith

Taomonkey
02-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Gee Mr. Smith, we all know you were the only good thing this franchise has had in the last 10 years, but your old and cost too much,,,,,so Pis off. Guess Jones will be the new RB too.

Suntzu
02-27-2003, 02:34 PM
he's no Barry Sanders…

ewallace
02-27-2003, 03:11 PM
I always laughed at that line "It's only because of his offensive line". While his O' Line was good for many of his years, the offensive line only gets a back so far. The rest he does on his own. The line hasn't been good for some time now, and he continues to put up 1000 yard seasons. This man deserves all the credit in the world.

Barry quit. I have all the respect for what he did while he was in the leage, probably the best athlete to play the game. I do not respect the fact that he gave up when he didn't get his way.

Taomonkey
02-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Barry was impressive.

I went to college with him Barry's arms dewarfed my leg. He was the best thing to come out of Oklahoma State since Dexter Manley. At least we cowboys can take some pride in Barry adn not have toi be conserden with hour spelling.

Stranger
02-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Emmit was also known for his "extra yards" and "second efforts", which had nothing to do with his offensive line. He was hard to tackle and could run two inches off of the deck.

Dexter Manley.........CRACKHEAD!

Prairie
02-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Emmitt is my fav player and the only reason I followed the cowboys at all. It looks like I need a new fav team. I'll be moving to the Seattle area in a couple of years... maybe I'll follow the Seahawks. (but sniff sniff... they will never get to the superbowl)

guohuen
02-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Eeeeeeheheheheheh! Y'all have Parsells now! Good luck.

ewallace
02-28-2003, 09:26 AM
You want the Tuna? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TUNA!

ewallace
02-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Put him behind that pathetic Detriot o-line and then see how he does.
Dallas' O' line was worse than Detroit's, his carries were greatly reduced, and he still pounded out 975 yards, at age 33. The only people that say it was his line are the people who watched on TV. Almost everyone he played against that was intervied never mentioned the line, only that it was almost impossible to get a clear shot on Emmitt. Either coming thru the line or in the open field.

ewallace
02-28-2003, 09:38 AM
I will give Barry his due on his being a tremendous athlete, but he didn't have half the heart of Emmitt. The fact remains (in my mind) that Barry Sanders is a quitter. Was Emmitt the best back of all time? No way. Maybe not in the top 5, physically. All around attributes, no. 2 behind sweetness.

Suntzu
02-28-2003, 09:39 AM
FACT: Barry is a better RB than Emmitt… factor in Troy, Mike and Moose… defenses had to be all over the field to stop those guys AND Emmitt… the Lions… EVERYBODY knew Barry was gonna get the ball and still couldn’t stop him… ask the Bears…

ewallace
02-28-2003, 09:45 AM
Barry is a better RB than Emmitt
That's merely an opinion. Barry was definitely more physically talented thean Emmitt. Barry also had a hell of a lot of gains for negative yards, which didn't solely fall on the poor offensive line. Negative yards, especially on 2nd down, puts the team in a bad position.

EVERYBODY knew Barry was gonna get the ball and still couldn’t stop him… ask the Bears…
Ask the Bills and the Steelers, and almost every team the cowboys played between 92-97 who was going to get the ball...especially near the goal line.

ewallace
02-28-2003, 09:49 AM
There is no disputing that WP and BS were more talented physically than Emmitt. They were different sytle of runners. I get tired of speculation and not giving credit where credit is due. Could Barry have broken Payton's record? Maybe. But he quit. He may have had twice the physical talent of Emmitt, but only half the heart. I'll take good talent and great heart any day over great talent and no heart.

Suntzu
02-28-2003, 09:50 AM
well Barry had 1000+ EVERY year he played :p... including his rookie...

Suntzu
02-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Sorry… it’s the Philly fan in me… ES gets noooo props over here…

ewallace
02-28-2003, 10:07 AM
His own father said that Barry told him he quit because he was tired of losing. Barry did not just walk away like Jim Brown. The two situations are vastly different.

I have no respect for Philly fans. I cannot stand Terrell Owens, but if he went down with a broken neck I would sure not cheer. Only the ignorant would cheer for something like that.

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 10:25 AM
But what about Terry Tate...Office Linebacker

http://www.reebok.com/terrytate

Suntzu
02-28-2003, 10:26 AM
*bowing my head* thanks for the kind words… hate TO… sheesh… its just entertainment… but the NFL like the WWE needs 'bad guys' for the fans to boooo…
1. Randy Moss (whine whine whine) agree
2. Terrell Owens- nawww maybe Romanowski
3. Jeff George- he just sucks
4. Keyshawn Johnson- over rated but not at #4
5. That O-Lineman in NO with all the tats, something Hurley.- i dont have anything against him..... yet anyway...

Suntzu
02-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Terry Tate is the GOAT… u know he's from here right???… he need to do a seminar up in here… it’s a few folk here that need to get ran over…

ewallace
02-28-2003, 10:37 AM
I thought that Terry Tate commercial was one of the best ones on superbowl sunday.

Here's my hater list:
1. Terrel Owens
2. Randy Moss
3. Keyshawn Johnson
4. Steve Spurrier (Hey, I'm a diehard FSU fan)
Warren Sapp is crawling up there too. I used to really like the guy.

Larry Allen should spank them, or eat them, just for being lil' cry babies.

Suntzu
02-28-2003, 10:50 AM
and oh yeah, Kurt Warner's wife. I hate her the most. I was thinkin the same d@mn thing…

ewallace
02-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, that notSoBright kicker from the Arizona Cardinals who hurt himself celebrating a field goal. Grammatica.

Stranger
02-28-2003, 10:57 AM
They said on TV last night that Emmit only missed 7 games in his whole career. If that is true, that shows a lot of heart and is the kind of thing a franchise needs- reliability. I'm not cmparing Emmit to any one else and claiming his superiority, I'm just saying the guy was real, real good. To say otherwise suggests a predjudice (a la Philly's fan perspective)

ewallace
02-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Not to mention playing over half a game with a separated shoulder.

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Lets not mention shotenheimer,,since the 98 playoff disaster puttin in Elvis Grbek who hadent played since the 3rd game of the season for Rich Gannon who got the Chiefs to the playoffs.

As a Chiefs fan let me say I wasnt thrilled with Trent Green's performance this last year, but I guess somebody in KC loves him, they signed him to a 7 year 50million dollar contract with an 11 mil signing bonus...well there goes the salery cap come draft time.

ewallace
02-28-2003, 11:19 AM
This article is a great piece on Emmitt:
http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/paul_attner/20021027.html