PDA

View Full Version : Confused

tanglangman
03-13-2001, 07:01 PM
I have been reading a thread about Lohan Kung Fu. It was asking if you should learn Lohan Kung Fu before learningn Baguazhang as that is what the founder did.

Anyway I was just wondering if Lohan Kung Fu is the same as Shaolin Kung Fu? As I thought that Lohan means Monk. And was taught to the monks of Shaolin hence Shaolin Lohan Kung Fu. Have I got it all mixed up?

dunbarj01
03-14-2001, 09:07 AM
Lohan is a type of Shaolin Kungfu. It is a distinct style and a few styles carrying the name exist - some that maybe forms of wushu. The term Lohan refers to one of the ranks in the Buddhist hierachy. A Lohan or Arhat was an immortal that had reached a level of enlightment and had broken from the cycle of re-incarnation. I hope this makes it a bit clearer although I admit that I'm not entirely sure of the position of Lohans in religon.

Cheers,

whitelion
03-15-2001, 01:43 AM
From my limited understanding of the religious hierarchy of Buddhism, Lohans are enlightened people tasked with helping others reach enlightenment as well. They are below Bodhisatvas and Buddhas in the hierarchy.

As far as Lohan kung fu goes, as Vlad says there are many styles that carry the name Lohan. What they have in common is movements based on the characteristics of the 18 Lohans that are revered in Chan sect Buddhism.

That is all I know on the topic. Sorry if it doesn't help much.

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.