PDA

View Full Version : Great White singer wants immunity

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 11:09 AM
I think the band should take some responsibility, after all they kept playin while the place burned...tragic.

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 11:31 AM
And an insulation dealer said club owners bought flammable packing foam, not soundproofing foam, to use in the club.

all in all a mess for sure

red5angel
02-28-2003, 11:34 AM
"after all they kept playin while the place burned...tragic."

Must have been some satanic rock badn thing huh? Or maybe, just maybe the band didn't realize right away what had happened?

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 11:35 AM
i can think of about 96 other people who would've liked some immunity too. you're right. he should take some responsibility.

KC Elbows
02-28-2003, 11:44 AM
I doubt they knew there was a fire when they were playing. I mean, they are not like sabbath, they're ***** metal(excuse the terminology, but that's their official designation). So I really don't think they knew a thing. They don't appear to know on the tape.

From everything I've heard, the building wasn't up to code. That has nothing to do with Great White.

I mean, isn't it punishment enough that they are Great White? I'm fairly certain the reviews they're getting from this show are only slightly worse than from other shows. Because they're Great White.

This is tragic, but the band had pyrotechnicians, and the building manager had them set it up.

carly
02-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Sometimes terrible things happen, that no one wanted to have happen.
Why does blame/lawsuits always have to be the response?

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 11:57 AM
I mean, isn't it punishment enough that they are Great White?

that's beautiful. :)

Originally posted by carly
Sometimes terrible things happen, that no one wanted to have happen. Why does blame/lawsuits always have to be the response?

well, this terrible thing didn't just happen though, did it. people did it. and, deliberate or no, people are generally held accountable for what they do. or they ought to be.

i'm not suggesting that lawsuits are the answer. but should they just let it slide? ninety six dead. better luck next time.

(i know you aren't suggesting that. don't worry.)

i don't know who's accountable and to what degree. but trying to deflect responsibility probably isn't the answer.

stuart b.

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 12:03 PM
well I guess they are once bitten twice shy baby

Is this the first time glam rock has killed, I know Judas Priest made some kids commit suicide but. The whole thing looks lika a bad MTV video.

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Taomonkey
well I guess they are once bitten twice shy baby

Is this the first time glam rock has killed, I know Judas Priest made some kids commit suicide but. The whole thing looks lika a bad MTV video.

okay, now that's different. judas priest can't have made kids commit suicide. the kids did that. big difference.

stuart b.

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 12:06 PM
gues I should have typed lol after that

red5angel
02-28-2003, 12:07 PM
I think maybe kiling 96 people may be punishment enough. I am pretty sure GW didn't set out to kill anyone. The club, I think is more responsible, until the facts come out anyway, because they should know what the club is capable of and what it isn't.

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Taomonkey
gues I should have typed lol after that

more likely, i should just have gotten a clue. my fault. :)

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Well I think their touring days are over, isnt the guitar player still missing/dead? I mean would you pay to see great white,,,ok, ok I know I wouldnt pay either but if there was free admission and free beer would you still go see them now?

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
I think maybe kiling 96 people may be punishment enough. I am pretty sure GW didn't set out to kill anyone. The club, I think is more responsible, until the facts come out anyway, because they should know what the club is capable of and what it isn't.

well, right. the club owners are definitely accountable too. the stage manager. etc.

i think what galls people is the finger pointing. the greater concern for passing the blame rather than for the loss itself. it's not enough to say, "all part of life's rich tapestry" and move on. that's all.

stuart b.

rogue
02-28-2003, 02:31 PM
How about the boneheaded gov't officials that grandfathered an all wood structure from having a sprinkler system because it was built pre-1973?

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 02:34 PM
hmm... all wood. you'd have thought that might come up in a pre-show check.

feh. i'm talking out of my... lack of experience. i haven't followed this story closely enough to be spouting off about it.

so i'm off.

stuart b.

red5angel
02-28-2003, 02:36 PM
I think it is even deeper then that. I think combined with the anguish the loved ones o fthose who died feel, we have a society that jumps straight to legal means to solve problems. Sometimes it is the right thing to do and sometimes it is the wrong thing.

Yes Ap but you have been a great white fan for years haven't you?!

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 02:42 PM
oh yeah. i used to go to all of great white's shows.

no, wait. that was howard jones. my fault. (long live the 80s.)

stuart b.

SevenStar
02-28-2003, 02:43 PM
The finger pointing sucks. If the club was accepting some responsibility though, that may not be happening. They say that they didn't approve it, and never has. But the news showed other bands who played there in the past and used pyrotechnics...

Budokan
02-28-2003, 02:44 PM
Rock and roll is the devil's music. If Great White played polka this prolly would never have happened....

red5angel
02-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Howard Jones!!! I used to love that song he did, you know the one, going to the pool but can't swim and all...

You can look at the menu but you just can't eat
You can feel the cushions but you can't have a seat
You can dip your foot in the pool but you can't have a swim
You can feel the punishment but you can't commit the sin
And you want her and she wants you
We want everyone
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame
You can build a mansion but you just can't live in it
You're the fastest runner but you're not allowed to win
Some break the rules
And live to count the cost
The insecurity is the thing that won't get lost
We want everyone
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame
You can see the summit but you can't reach it
It's the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain
We want everyone

apoweyn
02-28-2003, 03:01 PM
red5angel,

"noone is to blame."

spooky appropriate, eh?

stuart b.

red5angel
02-28-2003, 03:06 PM
yeah wierd.....

KC Elbows
02-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Budokan
Rock and roll is the devil's music. If Great White played polka this prolly would never have happened....

Budo, if Great White played polka, polka would never have happened.

Budokan
02-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Exactly my point! Now we have Great White to thank for the fact polka (polka fer chrissakes!) exists at all!

Thank you, Great White.

rogue
02-28-2003, 03:23 PM
red5angel,

"noone is to blame."

spooky appropriate, eh?
Spooky gay that you guys are quoting Howard Jones. What's next discussing Chers costume changes at her last show?:p

God gave Rock n Roll to you, gave Rock n Roll to you. put it in the soul of everyone.

Budokan
02-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Speaking of Cher's costume changes, I totally disagreed with her choice of the black-feathered boa while singing "I Got You Babe" during the second encore....what a fashion faux pas!

PHILBERT
02-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Stupid idiots shouldn't of brought in the stuff that made the fire to begin with. Maybe now the retards will realize how stupid they are after killing one of there own. I feel no remorse for the band or the member who died because of there own stupidity.

Taomonkey
02-28-2003, 06:35 PM
Dont know about idiots, pyrotechnics have been used in indoor venues since the 60's, brodway theater productions, high school plays. There is a science to it, and here in OK you have to have a liscensed technician to set it up and off. Dont know about RI. The probles is the placement of the charges in relationship to the flamable foam insulation, most would assume it was treated sound bafffeling, but one would have to look at it. Probally a has been rock'n roll show doesnt have the jack of anybody qualified. But to have no sprinklers, thats unforgivable. Regardless of a buildings age they should have fire supression. Especially if its an old wood building.

FatherDog
03-01-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by rogue
Spooky gay that you guys are quoting Howard Jones. What's next discussing Chers costume changes at her last show?:p

God gave Rock n Roll to you, gave Rock n Roll to you. put it in the soul of everyone.

You call them gay, and then proceed to quote grown men wearing lipstick and black eyeliner?

:D

apoweyn
03-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog

You call them gay, and then proceed to quote grown men wearing lipstick and black eyeliner?

:D

game, set, match. :)

apoweyn
03-03-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by rogue

actually, just thinking about cher costumes makes me curl into the fetal position and cower under my desk. on a scale of zero to repulsive, she's repulsive. YMMV

and yes, howard jones is a bit femme. but it was the 80s. most musicians looked or sounded like women. except grace jones, ironically enough.

:)

but don't worry. i've been playing 'disturbed' on the CD player over and over again in my office, trying to undo the damage i wrought in the 80s. two more weeks, and i might be ready to quit macrame.

stuart b.

Nevermind
03-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Apoweyn, what's spooky is that I am sitting here at my desk listening to Disturbed's CD. Quit thinking like me, for chrissakes! :D

apoweyn
03-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Nevermind
Apoweyn, what's spooky is that I am sitting here at my desk listening to Disturbed's CD. Quit thinking like me, for chrissakes! :D

hey man, can i help it if i'm down with the sickness?! :)

personally, i love tracks 9 and 10. something about the song 'enemy' followed closely by a remake of tears for fears' 'shout' works for me. [shrug]

stuart b.

rogue
03-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Try the new Johnny Cash album, his take on NIN Hurt makes Reznor sound like a piker.

apoweyn
03-03-2003, 01:53 PM
horrifying in its implications. :)

rogue
03-03-2003, 02:38 PM
No kidding. It's the most intense song I've ever heard. Trent may have written it but it really belongs to Cash. The video is also really good. Very good album .

rubthebuddha
03-03-2003, 03:21 PM
saw cash's video/heard his version last week and about shat the bed.

"hurt" was one of reznor's least whiney and, not coincidentally. best songs, and cash showed him up like nobody's business.

now if johnny would only tackle "happiness in slavery," my life would be complete. :)

rogue
03-03-2003, 08:11 PM
That video is scary. The images of Cash younger and now are very haunting as is the shot of June Carter Cash looking at him. Sometimes you hear someone sing about what a horror their life is and you think, "Sounds like fun, I'd go for a little of that". After hearing Cash sing Hurt you'd never want anypart of his life. His versions of Danny Boy and In My Life carry alot of weight given where he is now. I've been listening to the CD all day.

Chilli Pepper John Frusciante plays guitar on Personal Jesus, with Billy Preston on piano. That's fun.