PDA

View Full Version : What kind of exercise is hitting the heavy bag?

fa_jing
02-28-2003, 03:48 PM
What does it do? Increase muscular Endurance? Promote the firing of Neurons? Produce hypertrophy? What does it do for your muscles? I know it helps you hit harder through specific-action training, but what kind of exercise is it?

Golden Arms
02-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Fun excercise :) that is all the answer I need :)

No_Know
02-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Cardiovascular, aerobic, resistance, conditioning, high impact, endurance, focus, memory exercise...perhaps some might say.

SevenStar
03-01-2003, 06:02 AM
It can build some level of strength in the beginning and it also promotes increased bone density, I'd imagine. But, over time punching the bag becomes an endurance exercise, in the same manner that pushups and stance training do.

fa_jing
03-09-2003, 09:15 PM
any more thoughts? do you all agree with Sevenstar? why does it increase your punching power so much, if it is mostly endurance? just because it's a medium w/which to test your structure and form?

Serpent
03-09-2003, 09:42 PM
I agree with 7* mostly.

It does increase bone density and "fist strength". It certainly helps you to hit harder and it helps your form as you must have good alignment in the wrist, etc.

A good bag session is also great cardio vascular exercise, hence the endurance comments.

And on top of all that, no matter how much you practice punching and kicking, you can never be prepared for punching and kicking "something" (i.e. a person!) unless you have practiced on something solid and resistant. And the fact that it moves around and you have to control it means that you develop good reflexes and footwork if you use it properly.

fa_jing
03-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I mean, I remember after going 6 rounds on the bag my arms would be torched. And my sifu had a huge chest, and didn't lift weights - he does 10 -round bag workouts to keep in shape. Sevenstar is a little buffer from the weights, but my sifu is strong, man.

Knifefighter
03-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing why does it increase your punching power so much,[/B]

Because it is a power training exercise. Although it is related to strength, power is different and is trained differently.

Strength = force production.
Work = force x distance
Power = work/time