PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Tank get "Tanked" lastnight?

Royal Dragon
03-01-2003, 08:18 AM
he he he he, he went down in 46 seonds!!! his opponent (A cocky "Pretty boy"), locked his arm, and simulaniously locked his foot/ankle.

Tank looked like a lumbering brick. His 600 pound bench press didn't do to much for him.

Midnight Oil
03-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Bah! Unbeliever!

Tank will come back and amuse again in the near future.

Royal Dragon
03-01-2003, 11:08 AM
You know, the guy he fought was an ass though. At the end he said he sent Tank to the hospital. The guy was way to "into" himself. Tank was more humble. He has this look of years, and experiance in his eyes. He looked to me like he was shaking his head & Laughing inside at the young obnoxious Pup that beat him.

Yeah, Tank lost, but when he said he was going to the bar right after the fight instead of the hospital like his competition said, it was priceless.

Tank was DEFENETLY the more respected fighter. The crowd actually booed his opponenet for pumping his own ego up.

FatherDog
03-01-2003, 07:21 PM
42 seconds, actually. Shorter than the Tyson fight.

Mainly, it highlighted that Tank needs to train with folks more submission-minded. His other foot was free and in perfect position to brace against the ankle and stop (or at least delay) the sub, but he wasn't able to do anything. Tank's a good striker and he has a good sprawl, but he has trouble with good sub guys on the ground.

Agreed that Tank was much more likeable after the fight. For such a brash guy, Tank's actually always been pretty gracious in defeat.

Baroni vs. Lindland stole the show, anyway.

Mr.Binx
03-01-2003, 09:02 PM
He's lot less serious than he used to be and a lot more cheerful. He's been living the good life for the past couple years. Good living will reduce the rage in any man. I wouldn't mind being in his shoes. :cool:

Royal Dragon
03-01-2003, 09:40 PM
I though the fight with the little Japanese guy was good too. It ended in a draw.

FatherDog
03-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
I though the fight with the little Japanese guy was good too. It ended in a draw.

Penn vs. Uno. Penn got robbed, IMO.

Royal Dragon
03-02-2003, 06:33 AM
Yeah, your right. He was the better fighter. The little Japanese guy was sort of silly at some points.

TzuChan
03-02-2003, 06:36 AM
What are you guys talking about ? Is this on Eurosport ?

Royal Dragon
03-02-2003, 07:52 AM
UFC 41. I Ordered it Live on Pay per veiw last Friday night.

NorthernMantis
03-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Uhh I don't want to soundlike a hole or anything and I don't know jack about who this tank character is but I do remember how everyone praised him so much in the past with phrases like "x technique wouldn't stop tank" or " shaolin monks couldn't stop tank" and a whole lot of other nonense.

It's funny how tank was conisdered invincible a while back and now everyone is putting him down. What happened? What did I miss?

I don't watch ufc much or whatever it may be so that's my excuse.

Merryprankster
03-02-2003, 08:32 AM
I wish they'd have put tank against somebody who wanted to bang. Would have been more fun for us. RD, I thought he looked pretty fast for a big man.

Lindland vs. Baroni = great example of what happens when you talk trash to an olympian. I don't care who Baroni fights so long as he loses. One of our younger guys, when I mentioned that Lindland owned Baroni, said "But phil was a warrior." I looked him right and the eyes and said, "yeah, but he's an ass. So who cares?" I only wish knees to the head on the ground were allowed in UFC. If this had been a Pride fight, Baroni would be missing teeth.

Penn got robbed.

Rizzo needs to get more aggressive. Yves Edwards is a GREAT example of a sprawl and brawler, even though he finished it with a choke, his game plan was perfect. Pay attention those of you who want to stay on your feet.

I'm also glad to see rico get punked. Not his greatest fan.

Royal Dragon
03-02-2003, 08:36 AM
I'm also glad to see rico get punked. Not his greatest fan.

Reply]
He was the guy that walked in marching with the flags, right? That guy just p1ssed me off good from his walk in. I was glad to see him get spanked. UFC is not the bloody WWF for God sakes.

SevenStar
03-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by NorthernMantis
Uhh I don't want to soundlike a hole or anything and I don't know jack about who this tank character is but I do rember how everyone praised him so much in the past with phrases like "x techinique wouldn't stop tank" or " shaolin monks couldn't stop tank" and a whole lot of other nonense.

It's funny how tank was conisdered invincible a while back and now everyone is putting him down. What happened? What did I miss?

I don't watch ufc much or whatever it may be so that's my excuse.

In a sense, he was right. Tank was untouchable by alot of the stand up guys. when he did finally start losing, it was to kickboxers and grapplers. Tank is one of the people I always talk about - he hadn't had any real training, but his mindset was such that he would rip you apart anyway. And he did.

jkd
kuikalua
ninjutsu
tkd
sumo
luta livre

he's faced people from all of these styles and beaten them. His attitude wasn't the best in the past, but he was never afraid to step up and try to back up what he said.

SevenStar
03-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Penn had a draw?

what happened?

*runs to sherdog*

SevenStar
03-02-2003, 09:00 AM
ah. He fought Uno. Still, what happened?

DragonzRage
03-02-2003, 12:15 PM
"You know, the guy he fought was an ass though. At the end he said he sent Tank to the hospital. The guy was way to "into" himself. Tank was more humble. "

Well I do agree that its arrogant for Mir to be blowing his own horn like that, but in all fairness Tank probably had it coming. Tank has trashtalked and disrespected many opponents in his day so it was only a matter of time before he got on the receiving end. Still, I like Tank and despite all his attitude he seems to be a straightforward no BS kind of guy and I respect that. The sad thing is that he'd still probably beat the crap our of Frank Mir in a bar brawl.

jon
03-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Nothing to do with the fight you guys watched, still i live in Aus and we get the UFC on cable once in a while.
I *finaly* got to watch Titto Ortiz fight last night, he took out Jeramy Horn quicker than i could blink.
That guy is a darn machine.

Im actualy starting to like the UFC better and better the more i watch it, some of the fighters are truely suberb.
Jens Pulver (little evil)is probarly my favorite fighter to watch though. Totaly relaxed and yet with the relflexes of a cat on speed.

Sorry this had nothing to do with whats being discussed but i hoped someone else has seen that match with Tito. My jaw was on the floor, lol so was Mr Horns :)

FatherDog
03-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Tank is one of the people I always talk about - he hadn't had any real training,

Actually, he was an amateur boxer for nearly 12 years, and wrestled in grade school and high school.

apoweyn
03-03-2003, 09:19 AM
yep, i saw it. (thanks again to merryprankster.)

tank abbott likeable? nah. i don't like him. nor did i think he was graceful in defeat. and beforehand, he was a complete tool. "these pretty boys parading around like they were real fighters."

frank mir, one of the 'prettiest' guys in that event, schooled him. and while mir looked like a complete tool as well (he's like 'baroni lite'), that didn't make tank any more endearing to me.

whatever.

caol uno vs. b.j. penn. i don't know. penn was clearly the favorite in the room on friday night. i didn't know either of them, personally. i think penn deserved to win. but i don't think he was 'robbed.' i think caol uno did surprisingly well. so while i disagree with the final decision, i'm not outraged by it.

and i think my favorite fight was still the last one. yves was a lot of fun to watch.

stuart b.

Suntzu
03-03-2003, 09:36 AM
I think Uno just got extra points for not getting knocked out before the fight started… like last time… plus no matter how beat up he got he reversed everything that Penn threw at him… point right there… plus it was a good fight…

they should have put someone who wanted to Bang in there with TANK… but from what I read Zuffa is azz backwards anyway…

Silvia is NOT human…

now that I know a lil (very little) about working on the ground the UFC is much more interesting…

Mr.Binx
03-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Here's Tank and Mir's respective profiles for those interested:
David "The Tank" Abbott (http://sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)
Frank Mir (http://sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=2329)