PDA

View Full Version : Loseing weight but not strength.

Liokault
03-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Ok since before Xmas for several reasons I have piled on the weight and want to lose it with out loseing to much muscle mass/strength.

If I do some weights as well as run will it help or hinder? what if i ran and did weights on alternating days?

I need to lose about 7-10 kilos and my build is quite muscular.

SevenStar
03-01-2003, 11:57 AM
The body can only be in one state at a time - catabolic or anabolic, but that doesn't mean you can't retain your strength and current musculature - at least most of it. What's your current lifting regimen? what's your diet like?

Liokault
03-01-2003, 12:59 PM
I dont do weights at all now nor have i ever done in any real way.

Im just worried about running off 10 kilos and making my muscles waste....but dont want to do weights and run if it will make it worse.

Right now my diet sucks which I can change easy.

P.S I do a lot fo grappling ....which is a bit like weights.

SevenStar
03-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I was thinking you were going to stop your current weight training program and focus on aerobics. If you're not doing a strength maintenance program right now, you're not really going to lose anything, strength wise. Aerobics alone will not make you suffer any great muscle loss, if any at all. What will result in the loss is your diet. In order to lose weight, you have to expend more calories than you consume. A restricted diet combined with aerobics will definitely produce that, but if you burn too many calories, then yes, muscle loss can result.

If you're not getting enough calories, your body says "holy smokes, I'm starving" And starts trying to help itself. It takes plenty of calories to sustain muscle, so your body will start to ditch muscle in an attempt to conserve calories. Also, your metabolism will slow down and your fat cells may begin to split.

SevenStar
03-01-2003, 04:44 PM
I won't go into the "grappling is like weights" thing, but as long as you're not hoping to build mass, that's cool.

grappling is not for mass building (http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19153)