PDA

View Full Version : Mouthguard question

IronFist
03-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Ok I just bought a boxing mouthguard (to protect the teefs). It's one of those top and bottom one piece ones. But when I use it, after like 5 minutes my jaw muscles were sore cuz I keep biting down on it really hard (it's got the little hole in the middle so I can breath through it). How do I stop this?

Finally, I can't talk for **** when I have it in. Should I just get an upper one and leave that in so I can talk? Or is it worth it to have the bottom protection, too. The only thing I don't like is that to talk I have to take it out, and my hands are usually sweaty from grappling with sweaty guys and I don't want that stuff getting on my mouthguard and then going back in my mouth. Eww.

IronFist

shaolin kungfu
03-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Sometimes if you soak the mouthguard in hot water for a couple minutes(until it is soft), and then put it in your mouth, it will make the mouthguard fit your mouth. This might take care of the soreness. I've only had a one piece, so i dont know if it will work for yours.

Fred Sanford
03-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Sometimes if you soak the mouthguard in hot water for a couple minutes(until it is soft), and then put it in your mouth, it will make the mouthguard fit your mouth. \

you are supposed to do this, if the mouthguard isn't molded to your teeth it ain't gonna work so good.

IronFist
03-01-2003, 03:25 PM
I did the molding thing. I was asking how to relax my jaw muscles.

IronFist

carly
03-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Tensing your jaw muscle is indicative or tensing your body in general when fighting - relax!

SevenStar
03-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Just don't bite down dude :D

The mouth guard is also for preventing knockouts as well - well, the big ones like you have are, anyway. The small ones that you are asking about may INCREASE the chance of you getting KOed. Stick with the big ones.

Oso
03-01-2003, 05:11 PM
stop talking smack while you're fighting.

I hate mouthguards but after having a tooth chipped which led
to a crown (700 bucks) I wear mine most times.

the one I have is Whipps. It's ok but not near big enough of a
hole to breath through.