PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for tai-chi training

krazyklint1
03-01-2003, 05:58 PM
I am going to start training in Chen style tai chi in a couple months, and I was wondering what I could do to get ready for it? I've been training in Hung Fut for about 5 years, so I have a background in CMA, I'm just wondering what I can expect?:confused:

carly
03-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Practice relaxing and crouching in low stances so that your thighs burn with the effort. Or just start doing tai chi now.

Laughing Cow
03-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Start practicing entry level Zhang Zhuang, and do plenty of stretching.

Also have a look into Chan Si Jin(Silk reeling).

krazyklint1
03-01-2003, 06:10 PM
oops i guess i forgot to mention, i'm getting over a pretty serious knee injury, so i can't start training yet.

low stances i am used to..... relaxing? can you be a bit more specific? you mean like breathing excercises?

carly
03-01-2003, 06:13 PM
maybe pick up a chi kung book like the one by Mantak Chia on the Healing Tao so that you can begin to practice the microcosmic orbit, do a little reading on tai chi, watch some people who already practice it, do some yoga or stretching, that sort of thing.

Laughing Cow
03-01-2003, 06:21 PM
If you got knee problems I recommend:
1.) Zhang zhuang
2.) stretching in wide stances

You need to make sure that your knee does not go forward of your toes and that your knee is over the foot.

Going too low without widening your stance will hurt your knees.

I also had some knee probs and Chen TJQ got me sorted out in a few months.

Laughing Cow
03-01-2003, 06:51 PM
One more thing you might need to get used to.

Chen stances (atleast in my substyle) are supposed to be done as if you are sitting on a stool.

Your legs also need to form a circle, so don't let the rear-knee fall inward.

Here are some kicking exercises we do:

1.) Arms sideways from shoulder, right foot kicks upward, step, left kicks upward, step, etc.

2.) Arms sideways, right foot kick to right hand, step, left foot kicks to left hand step, etc.

3.) Arms sideways, right foot kicks to left hand, step, left foot kicks to right hand, step, etc.

4.) Right foot steps forward, left hand across stomach, left foot kicks forward to meet right hand (over head), step, reverse to other side, step, etc.
This one is kinda jack-knife like.

Pretty standard, but a good workout.
;)

If you are one of the muscle-bound types you will struggle a bit to relax in Chen TJQ.

One of our students is an ex-shorinshi-kenji and even after 2 yrs he still is fairly stiff and muscle force bound.
:(

Kumkuat
03-01-2003, 06:58 PM
You don't need to go low in taiji. If your teacher is good enough, he'll put you in the correct, relaxed position so your thighs will burn even in a high stance.

Liokault
03-02-2003, 02:52 AM
I would buy some beads and a kafftan grow my hair long, puff way to much weed and practice saying "groooovy maaan".

David
03-02-2003, 04:02 AM
Kumkuat is driving at the main point in adjusting to taichi. u have to stop thinking about your strength in the way you're accustomed.

If you can stand in a high stance for 10mins without a burn then you're not doing it the taichi way. So to relax, one of the things you have to relax is some of your biggest muscles: let the little ones do their share of the work.

Another way to look at the relaxation is to imagine that you're holding up your body weight (all the time) through muscular tension. The aim is to eradicate that tension, allowing the weight to sink out the soles of your feet. You will feel the sensation of this. When doing this - don't collapse your poise because that compromises your structure. You will find that your structure can be maintained much more efficiently than you probably achieve now.

My experience comes only from Yang style but I think these thoughts are generic in application.

Good training!

-David

PS In taichi, the entire body moves together. If you're going to practice taichi-esque moves in the mirror ;) before you get to class, bear this in mind.

David
03-02-2003, 04:05 AM
As Laughing Cow suggested, Zhang Zhuang (Standing like a Tree) qigong teaches this stuff in static postures.

-David

dezhen2001
03-02-2003, 10:31 AM
just try to relax - zhan zhuang is a good idea as well as horse stance. Also some basic stretching is always good - no matter what you do. The kicking exercises laughing cow mentioned are standard in many CMA and are pretty fun :)

dawood

GeneChing
03-03-2003, 11:09 AM
I agree with the suggestion that many have posted here to practice zhang zhaung, but I have a semantic bone to pick. To me, this is an intergral part of tai chi training, not preparation. Zhang zhaung is a standing meditation. Meditation is about being in the moment. If you are doing it as preparation for doing something else, you're not really in the moment. Attachment to such a chronological hierarchy will forever lock you out of the kingdom. If Tai Chi itself is viewed as a moving meditation, then again, "getting ready" misses too. Just be there. Just be in zhang zhaung.

OK, sorry for the zen rant. You can return to your dominent paradigm now. :rolleyes: ;)