PDA

View Full Version : Which Kung Fu style is the best one for a counter-fighter like me?

Technical
03-02-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm looking for a style that emphasizes the following concepts:

*Evassive techniques.
*Focus on hand techniques.
*Simple, or at least low on "fancyness".
*Uses primarily hip/body rotation to generate power.

Please, if you mention one style, can you post some info on it? Or at least a link?

Thanks.

yenhoi
03-02-2003, 04:12 PM
How are you a counter-fighter and you dont practice martial arts yet?

****er.

:eek:

LeeCasebolt
03-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Sounds like you want to learn how to box... :D

Lee Casebolt

carly
03-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Boxing is the counter striker's art.

Technical
03-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
How are you a counter-fighter and you dont practice martial arts yet?

****er.

:eek:

This is great, my first flame on this forum.

Let me just say...STFU and answer the ****ing question biatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Technical
03-02-2003, 04:27 PM
By the way, I already box, I just want to find a similar Kung Fu system to boxing.

yenhoi
03-02-2003, 04:35 PM
You have the mentality for a McTKD school.

Go there and show them your counter-fighting skills, lol.

Idiot.

TKD mentality comment directed at rouge, and red5.

SaMantis
03-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Technical, if you're serious ...

Mantis.

Go over to the Northern Praying Mantis forum, you'll find info on different systems, basic principles, and some links.

Ging Mo Fighter
03-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Try southern praying mantis,
Lots of hand techniques, power is generated in an unconventional way, which takes practise to develop properly.

It is a very aggressive style but is also very dependant on footwork,

I wouldnt try to generalise any martial art with words
like -
Evassive techniques.
--------------

Im sure all martial art styles, and systems, have these principles when performed in a mature way..

btw, i dont think theres any martial arts that are fancy, its just how you study the more rounded techniques (but if your looking for a more direct way of fighting, wing chuns centre line theory might be to your liking)

Ging Mo Fighter
03-02-2003, 09:01 PM
I also think concentrating on only hand techniques is one of the stupidest things ive heard, use your whole body :)

(one thing i admire about thai fighters, they use there whole body very well)

elbows are VERY good in fights :)

Former castleva
03-03-2003, 05:32 AM
I think he meant striking with upper limbs,as if thatīs where the emphasis goes at but also mentions the importance of "torque" for power.

Radhnoti
03-03-2003, 07:44 AM
White Crane is a good "evasive" style isn't it? More info easily found on the Southern section of this forum. Or, if you wanted to explore a more "internal" art you might look into Bagua. More info easily found on the Internal section of this forum.
Both of this styles may trip your "fancyness" meter though.
Good luck on your search.

Felipe Bido
03-03-2003, 07:59 AM
Hsing I is not fancy (Looks ugly to some people, to be exact), relies on hand techniques, it's very aggresive, and looks very much like boxing with all the 1-2-3 combos.

Edit: Go to the Internal Forum for more details

Vapour
03-12-2003, 05:47 AM
Hing I is not that evasive though it certainly use lot of hand technique. My recommendation is Bagua or taichi. In both art, it is said that there is no attack or defence. This is because IDEALLY every defence should be a counter. Pushing handsis a main training method where they train sensitivity and counter. Plus, pushing hands could be a competitive sport so it's fun. In my view, it is better than sparing.

On the other hand, it is very difficult to find genunie bagua or taijichuan instructor (forget about taichi class in your local gym). So I guess Mantis would do.

rogue
03-12-2003, 10:16 AM
TKD mentality comment directed at rouge, and red5. Hey buddy, can you see what I'm directing at you?:p

Losttrak
03-12-2003, 10:35 AM
MiZong is very adaptable to any style of combat whether counter or sheer aggression. Our strikes are strong, very similar to boxing in the cutting and angles. Our stance is somewhat similar to the JKD stance until we get close then assume more of a boxing stance or triangle arm config (depending on who we are fighting). Our kicking is surgical and footwork is heavily emphasized. Keep it in mind although you will find it a little difficult to find as it is a rare style.

CD Lee
03-12-2003, 10:39 AM
From what I have seen, Bagua is a style that seems to fit your bill. It is very evasive, relies on whole body power by using a twisting, turning vertical rotation in most of its movements. I know the throws rely a lot on vertically rotating the body, which is extreemly difficult to repond to if you are being thrown.

However, finding a good teacher in Bagua could be a trick depending on your location.

regulator
03-12-2003, 01:15 PM
finding a good FIGHTER who uses bagua to fight with may be even more difficult.

yenhoi
03-12-2003, 01:21 PM
No one 'uses' bagua when they fight, anymore then you can 'use' the letters in your name to paint a train.

On that note there are several bagua fighters that post here.

:confused:

norther practitioner
03-12-2003, 01:26 PM
*Evassive techniques.

Uses primarily hip/body rotation to generate power

Try Taiji chuan for these....

TjD
03-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Technical
I'm looking for a style that emphasizes the following concepts:

*Evassive techniques.

Please, if you mention one style, can you post some info on it? Or at least a link?

Thanks.

sounds a lot like wing chun to me :D except for the evasive techniques - we like to get on up in your face and plow on through. evasion is too slow :D

Waidan
03-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Bagua sounds like it'd fit the bill. The power generation might be a bit of a stumbling-block though, if you're only familiar with western boxing. But in regards to evasive footwork and body rotation, we've got you covered. :)

Black Jack
03-12-2003, 02:29 PM
If you already do western boxing then why are you looking for something similar?

If you are looking to build on the tool base you say you already have then I would check out Jun Fan or JKD Concepts.