PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular Kung Fu Styles?

cha kuen
03-02-2003, 04:05 PM
What do you guys think are some of the most popular styles of kung fu in the world? (not just in the States but in europe, australia etc as well)

I would put wing chun and praying mantis (northern and southern) up on the list, but i was interested in hearing other people's opinions?

Perhaps choy lay fut with Lee Koon Hung's schools in europe?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Fred Sanford
03-02-2003, 04:16 PM
most popular does not necessarily = best

carly
03-02-2003, 04:17 PM
available=popular, in general, when it comes to kung fu.
So Hung Gar and Choi Li Fut are up there, and wing chun is big because of its association with Bruce lee.
There are fewer northern styles outside of China because most northern teachers were held in China after the revolution, and so hong kong practioners were the biggest group who were able to spread their knowledge around the west as they emigrated to the US, etc.

Laughing Cow
03-02-2003, 04:27 PM
I might venture to suggest that the most popular and widespread CMA might be Taijiquan, with Yang style leading the pack.

Brad
03-02-2003, 06:45 PM
I'd say standardized Taijiquan(specifically the 24 form) is probably the most popular :D

PHILBERT
03-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Yes, Tai Chi without a doubt. Everyone and there dog has heard of Tai Chi, however if you go up to someone and say "I practice Hung Gar." They look at you and would probably reply "Hung Gar? Why wait. Grab a Snickers."

I told one guy once I did WT and he goes "Wing Tsun?! Like that song?" and started singing Everybody Have Fun Tonight.

Souljah
03-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Yea, its gotta be taichi.....I mean, even without the rest of the worlds figures the amount of people you will see practicing it in chinese parks in the mornings will still probably put it on top.....
I would think wing chun would be next

cha kuen
03-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah , I agree tai chi is known by everyone. Any others?

Brad
03-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Next I would say Wing Chun for noteriety because of the Bruce Lee conection. As far as number of practitioners, I would say Chang Quan, because the basics are taught in lots of the Chinese schools, plus there's modern wushu being taught in so many countries now.

norther practitioner
03-03-2003, 04:33 PM
A lot of things with the infamous "Shaolin" tacted onto the name. Some good (jing woo, bsl, real ns, etc.), some not so good...well I won't go there now.