PDA

View Full Version : Rare Kung Fu Styles

Water Dragon
03-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Why is it that so many people come posting looking for or proclaiming "Rare Kung Fu" styles? That's always kinda confused me. It's as if people are coming around saying. "I know nothing about this style, so I want to study it."

Do people equate rare with good? Are people still looking for that "magical" system that will turn them into a monster? I really don't understand it and was hoping someone could shed the light for me.

norther practitioner
03-03-2003, 04:28 PM
I think it is just the old mystique thing. Kind of like having a rare baseball card or something. Something unique.

Waidan
03-03-2003, 04:29 PM
rare=mysterious=seckzie=interesting. Do you want the $100, or what's behind door # 1?

Laughing Cow
03-03-2003, 04:30 PM
WD.

I think a lot of people want rare styles because they either think something "new" is better or has knowledge that other are not privy too.

Also by doing something new and unknown they will stick out from the rest of the MA masses.

Learning something rare would also mean that you are closer to the source and thus they equal better instructions and skill.

Cheers.

Royal Dragon
03-03-2003, 04:34 PM
rarity has value. it makes us different and unique. It has nothing to do wiht fighting.

For me, I enjoy the reseach involved with learning a rare style as much as I do practicing it.

I could go to any Long Fist school, but it's my Tai tzu that hooked me. For me, I think a big part of it is the self discovery. That, and alot of people say what I'm doing can't be done. I know they are wrong, and I aim to prove it.

I would be the same with cars. Everyone loves the 69 Chevy Chevelle. I was never turned on by it. Instead i was drawn to the 68 Chevelle. Why? I don't know, maybe because they are not as popular, Maybe the fact that they are not as commonly seen as the 69's. I couldn't tell you. All I know is the only major difference is the 68 has a smaller tail light. Other than that, they are the same exact car, with only minor asthetics being different.

When all my friends were into guns,all of then had some sort of a clip design. My buddy Tom decided to get a revolver, solely, and only to be different that the rest of us.

Some people just don't want to be part of the pack. it has nothing to do with fighting skill or ability.

Xebsball
03-03-2003, 04:40 PM
I wish fighting skills werent so rare on most CMA schools of today

Royal Dragon
03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
LOL!!!

I can't wait till the MA schools are all Mc Dojo's

Fred Sanford
03-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Nerds, Nerds I tell you!

If there is a certain skill set that I want to learn, I go looking for a good quality teacher of the material, it don't really matter what the name of the art is.

ZIM
03-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Water dragon-

its becos there's no 'style addicts' 12 step group...you should start one [after you get done with your 'northern chickenhawk style'- i hear thats pretty awesome and demanding.] ;)

or maybe its becos all the major arts have already cashed in on the videos market...so you gotta find new ones: supply and demand.

Water Dragon
03-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Well, I definately see the points you guys are making. And I have nothing against learning rare styles. I guess mine is more of a substance question. Here's an example:

Person A: Hey, does anyone know where I can find Drunken Shaolin Tiger in Nebraska?

Person B: No, but there is this guy in Nebraska who teaches Southern Mantis. He's known for turning out fighters and good players. He's spoken of very highly, a real treasure.

Person A: Thanks, but I want to learn Drunken Shaolin Tiger. I hear it's very deadly.

This is more what confuses me. It does happen somewhat with the more well known styles. But for some reason, most of these type posts list some obscurity. Why do people have a tendancy to choose "rare" over "good"?

ZIM
03-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Right!

I don't care if it's RARE or not- as long as it's WELL DONE!

:D :p :D :) :p ;) [ouch] :D

Shah
03-04-2003, 08:44 AM
HAH

I'd like to see any of you defeat my Great Solar Stance!

;)