PDA

View Full Version : Does a genuine southern shaolin long fist style exist?

phantom
03-21-2001, 10:49 PM
Same as topic. Thank you for any information that you could give me regarding this.

Fu-Pow
03-21-2001, 10:52 PM
What about Choy Lay Fut.

Fu-Pow

Shaolin Master
03-22-2001, 12:27 AM
Sth Shaolin Long Fist in name as such NO.

Though there is Sth Tai Zu Quan.

Regards

Shi Chan Long

Ben Gash
03-22-2001, 09:35 PM
Nan Sil Lum, Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar....

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

Inquisitor
03-24-2001, 10:24 AM
That would depend on your definition of what is a "genuine shaolin longfist style" and what is not. There are a myriad of styles which are descended from Shaolin Temple which do not use the word "Shaolin" in their names (e.g. Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Northern Praying Mantis, Fu Jow Pai, Wing Chun, etc etc etc). If you are asking if there is a style called "Shaolin Longfist" or something similar, ask Wong Jack Man. =P

ope
03-25-2001, 06:04 AM
Our school teaches Shoalin Long fist and many other shoalin systems.. so it does exists... but i dunno what you mean genuine like not watered down? if thats what you mean our shoalin styles are very pure... and if you would like anymore information on Shoalin longfist let me know what ya want to know..

dunbarj01
03-25-2001, 08:08 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Fut in Choy Li Fut mean that it is derived from the Buddha style and isn't this originally northern?
If this is the case, doesn't it then exclude itself from being genuinely southern?

Cheers,

phantom
03-25-2001, 10:45 PM
By genuine I mean legitimate. I mean is there a specific style called southern shaolin long fist whose roots can be traced back to a traditional shaolin art, and not something which is really karate or something else?

SifuAbel
03-27-2001, 09:56 PM
There are Southern Shaolin systems. The "longfist" name is carried over from the northern influence. CLF is also considered to belong to the shaolin family. And, has both northern and southern branches like the shaolin.

Southern Tai Tzu Chuan,(my favorite style) as mentioned above, is a Longfist Style. Although it was influenced by Shaolin styles; it is not a shaolin derrived system. It was also influenced by systems such as Tai sheng men and Tzu Jan Men.

Do you see the trend here? Longfist systems give it's origens to the north, but the rest of the country followed as the systems spread out to other areas in china and it's neiboring countries.

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
sifuabel@aol.com

ope
03-29-2001, 07:19 PM
Yes our shaolin long fist is geniune and it can be traced back to the shaolin..

phantom
04-01-2001, 09:49 PM
Sifu Abel, correct me if I am wrong, but would that not make your style a combination of monkey boxing and nature's fist? If so, then that would be an awesome combination! Ope, I am sorry if I offended you. I knew that there was a legitimate Northern style of Longfist, but I did not know that there was also a legitimate southern one. Peace.

SifuAbel
04-01-2001, 10:19 PM
Phnatom,

It is a not true "combination" per say. Such styles were present during the development of Tai Tzu Chang Chuang. BTW a monkey system is taught along with TZCC. But, it is not "intertwined" into the system.

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
sifuabel@aol.com

phantom
04-02-2001, 09:44 PM
I really appreciate it. Peace.

ope
04-03-2001, 04:44 AM
i was not offended at all.. and im not sure if the shaolin longfist our school teachers is sourthern or northern to be honest (reason for this i thats not my system.. :) )but i could find out.. if you would like..

FIRE HAWK
04-08-2001, 12:58 AM
From what i understand Choy Gar is a long arm style.It is one of the southern five family styles.And is based on the dragon style of the southern five animals,at least that is what i herd.Choy Gar is a southern style as far as i know.