PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Drunken Kung Fu

Drunken Monkey
03-21-2001, 11:59 PM
I am extremely interested in Shaolin Drunken Kung Fu. First, because Shaolin Kung Fu is extremely good, and second because Drunken Kung Fu is for me.

I have been self training and was wondering if any of you think I should do this form and what level and experience you would recomend someone be at before they try this form(I feel I am very capable, but want your input).

I am extremely grateful for any information you have to offer.

lee69
03-22-2001, 01:44 AM
go for it

but be careful without a experianced teacher you could hurt yourself.

tyron

Drunken Monkey
03-22-2001, 02:29 AM
Yeah, That is a problem, especially the falling part of the style, without a trainer, I could easily ijure myself.

thanks

joedoe
03-22-2001, 03:57 AM
One point to remember is not to get too drunk. Only kidding :)

I have heard that drunken boxing is quite an advanced art and can be very hard to get right. However, once you get it right it is extremely difficult to fight against because of its unpredictability.

I believe that for the Shaolin style of drunken boxing you probably also need strong legs and a flexible back.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

ope
03-22-2001, 07:07 AM
Oh ya drunken is great... abandit is right getting the attitude of drunken is very hard but once you get it its a great art to fight with.. and one of the great things about it is when you do get the attitude you can mix it with other shaolin systems like monkey or mantis even tiger so you would get drunken monkey, drunken mantis etc.. which would make the style even more powerfull.. i have learned some drunken forms but i still havent got the attitude properly yet.. and it is very unpredictable thats what makes it so powerfull..

Waidan
03-23-2001, 02:44 AM
Unpredictability and the commitment (and resulting power) of the strikes.

I'm a Bagua practitioner, but my teacher is torturing me with a drunken set (been working on it for about 4 weeks now). Drunken Bagua? Now THAT would be odd..:)

Drunken Monkey
03-23-2001, 03:41 AM
Yeah, it would be unpredictable, which is why I want to learn it. I have tried some moves and I dont know why, but feel I could do it. So I wanted to thank everyone for viewing and/or replying, your input is very helpful.

04-19-2001, 02:41 AM
I'd say definantly go fo it. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger... right?? I'm also really interested in the Drunken style, but I can't find anything, or anybody to teach me about it. All I know is what I've seen in the movies.

Drache
04-19-2001, 03:09 AM
I am also intrested in drunken styles. I have looked, but there are no schools that teach drunken kung fu in my area. Does anyone recomend the series in martialartsmart.com , or maybe another website?

~Drache~

Brad
04-19-2001, 04:30 AM
Where do you guys live? Usually to learn drunken boxing you have to have at least a couple years in another style as a base. You should try to take modern wushu or some wide open northern style until you find what you're looking for. Modern Ditang will be a great asset if you find a teacher for drunken boxing. I'd also recomend buying the shaolin drunken boxing video(the one by the monk) so you can see the type of stuff you'd be learning. I think this routine is pretty much the same as the modern one. I wouldn't recomend learning without a teacher though since drunken boxing is REALLY hard physically. Too much chance of injurey.

click here (http://furiousg.com/~gnguyen/video/wushu) for a website that has some drunken routines.

Drunken Monkey
04-19-2001, 05:07 AM
that link isnt working make sure you typed it right. thanks anyways

WenJin
04-19-2001, 11:48 AM
Sorry, but do you guys mean Wushu drunken style, or actual shaolin drunken because I thought that there isn't shaolin drunken fist.

Brad
04-19-2001, 11:28 PM
I've only heard of drunken style being taught within a larger system. The Shaolin Drunken Fist done by the current shaolin monks is the same as that done by modern wushu guys. I don't know anything about drunken fist history.

Here's that link again:
http://furiousg.com/~gnguyen/videos/wushu

doug maverick
05-12-2001, 03:55 AM
i have a problem with this form i mean if you train just dkf then no proplem cause then your training (depending on you sifu) is good but if you learn it in your system it's not that good espiacially in new york, even though if you train your wrist stance and foot work you can be good(like in drunken master 1 hate to refer to a movie but it was a good flick) this style has to many flips and falls and might get you killed but if you can prove me wrong then come wit it

ope
05-12-2001, 04:51 AM
Not all drunken kungfu forms consist of big falls etc.. remmeber most important aspect of drunken is getting the atitude.. once this is accomplish you need not worry about anything else...

Drunken is great even if its learning 1 form..

joedoe
05-13-2001, 02:52 AM
You don't have to flip and fall over to be able to do drunken kung fu. :)

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Shaolin Master
05-13-2001, 03:56 AM
True,
do you practice/know the drunken form of wuzuquan?

regards
Shi Chan Long

joedoe
05-13-2001, 04:02 AM
No, but I have seen my sifu do it, and I don't remember seeing any falling or flipping. Then again, there isn't that much acrobatic stuff in Wu Chu Chuan anyway :)

Seeker of the Way
05-14-2001, 08:55 AM
My sifu is a real drunken freak, and teaches it regularly cause he loves watching us stumble around like nuts trying to get it right :cool:

And I can tell you that drunken does NOT (at least not necessarily), include big drops, rolls and other hazardous moves.

The thing with drunken is, that any art can become drunken, you just have to change some of the maneuvers, as well as adding feints and evasions to the stance.

I, for example, have trained some drunken Taiji (which doesn't include a lot of swaying or falling, just some very odd spins and palm swings), drunken 5 animals (Hard as hell, panther and crane always makes me fall over :) ) and then there's drunken Wushu and drunken monkey (which DOES include huge drops and sways).

The point I'm trying to make, is that it does depend on the KF style that you're performing as drunken.. drunken boar wouldn't exactly include a lot of rolling and tumbling, whereas drunken monkey would.

Peace,
SotW :eek:

"I know Kung Fu."

Rei
05-21-2001, 09:38 PM
good vids :D

Peace!

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

premier
05-22-2001, 12:19 AM
COME ON!

That drunken vid was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in my life. The guy is just staggering around the stage, waving his hands, doing some flashy jump kicks and occasionally falling to the ground and doing some stupid acrobatics.

What ever you do, don't think that that BS has anything to do with real drunken styles, which are integrated in traditional CMA like Choy lee fut.

Rei
05-22-2001, 01:18 AM
check out the drunken vids from denis and this one other guy under the sandiego comp i think...those are way better ;)

Peace!

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

joedoe
05-22-2001, 01:52 AM
Shaolin styles do have drunken forms, but I am not sure if there is a seperate style of Shaolin drunken fist.

Sil Lum Palm
05-22-2001, 09:00 PM
I was under the impression that the Drunken Style comes from the 18 immortals( err maybes it 8 but I think its 18 )and is usually taught to those that show good progress in another system, however I have never witnessed it so I can't say for shure. I don't think many Drunken masters advertise thier art so it may be hard to find an Instructor.
I do know this, Drunken Fighters are supposed to be some of the best around.. good luck in your training and BE CAREFUL.. training without an Instructor can be very dangerous.

Drunken Monkey
05-23-2001, 04:13 AM
thanks everyone for your replies. Ill take all aspects into consideration. O, i think it was 8 immortals.

Sil Lum Palm
05-23-2001, 06:08 AM
sorry I was having a brain elapse, of course it was 8, 18 would be a lot of Immortals.. sorry.

Drache
05-24-2001, 02:58 AM
Who exactially is the 8 immortials?

Radhnoti
05-24-2001, 07:36 AM
Li T'ieh Kuai - The limping leader
Siang Chung Li - Loves wine and represents strength, power and solidity
Chuang Kuo Lao - oldest immortal represents wisdom, elusiveness and unconventionality
Li Tung Ping - once a famous poet and scholar, sword became his emblem, represents the dramatic and flamboyant
Han Hsiang Tze - Can forsee the past and fortell the future. Represents intelligence and precognition.
Chao Kuo Chiu - Wears a court headdress and official robes symbolizing royalty and free access to the palace. Brings to the style knowledge of other conventional fighting systems.
Lan Chai Ho - Some legends say this immortal is a young girl, others say a young boy. Represents fleetness and limberness of youth.
Ho Shian Ku - Only verified female, once a celebrated prostitute to support her family. Represents the feminine or yin aspects of the art.

Hope this helps or was of some interest.

-Radhnoti

ope
05-24-2001, 08:55 AM
"I've only heard of drunken style being taught within a larger system. The Shaolin Drunken Fist done by the current shaolin monks is the same as that done by modern wushu guys. I don't know anything about drunken fist history."

Brad.. Actually modern wushu drunken is differnt then shaolin traditional if thats what you wanna call it... modern wushu drunken is more focused on show then on proper technqiues and actually fighting...

Brad
05-24-2001, 11:41 PM
Actualy there is no difference between the monks drunken fist techniques and the modern drunken techniques. The monks shaolin drunken fist is modern drunken fist. That's what I'm saying. How much it is focused on performance or on fighting is based entirely on the individual. The best performers are going to be the ones who have the best basics and understand the movements the best.

premier
05-25-2001, 12:50 AM
This is really strange but the form I saw in Jackie Chan's Drunken Master was more reality based than the form in those modern wushu video clips. Strange because the movie kung fu is known for not being realistic. This means that the modern wushu version is something even more unrealistic. A performance art version of it like the beijing opera stuff.

saiyuk8
05-25-2001, 03:23 AM
Jackie Chan Studied many different Styles of gung fu while at the opera . One of these was Choy Li Fut , and to my knowledge , within the advanced stages they have a drunken form that pertains to their style. In an interview he even mentions this is the style he uses hence " Choy Li Fut Drunken Form " . However there are several Drunken Styles that do not pertain to the Shaolin Temple . One being Internal and one being External. Hope this clears some things up ....

saiyuk8
05-25-2001, 04:38 AM
Here is a little information about The Drunken Form : goldeneaglemac.com

saiyuk8
05-25-2001, 10:11 AM
The newest issue of Inside Kung Fu has a very good article on the foot work of Six Harmonies Drunken Kung fu , the mag does suck but the article is well worth the knowledge .

Inquisitor
05-26-2001, 12:52 PM
From my research, I have yet to hear of any credible "Drunken Style" that is purely drunken on its own. There are people out there who claim to know "Drunken Fist" (or whatever the hell they want to call it), but it is nothing more than modern wushu. What is worse is that these so-called Drunken Fist masters then use the contemporary wushu routines and try to invent applications for them. It is complete BS. Some of the worst offenders I have seen have articles in Inside Kungfu (and other martial arts magazines). In fact, I remember a recent issue which had a supposed "Drunken Boxing" master showing applications of the style. Not only was it modern wushu, but it was badly done modern wushu, with horrible applications to boot. However, there is mention of a traditional style called the "8 Drunken Immortals," upon which the Jackie Chan movies were based (even though the real Wong Fei Hong only used Hung Gar). I have yet to actually meet someone or hear of someone who legitimately knows the style... The only true "drunken" that exists in traditional kungfu, so far as I know, is found in one or two forms of actual styles. For example, there is a "Drunken Mantis" form in the Northern Praying Mantis system and there is a "Drunken Monkey" form in the Monkey system.

The Willow Sword
05-29-2001, 08:07 PM
hey there. read the posts ,,heres my wooden nickels worth. how i was taught in the drunken way "its all in the stepping" there is a formal step in the drunken way, once you get it down then the rest will come to you. plus i HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you read a book called OUTLAWS OF THE MARSH. its a great book and will help you with your drunk philosophies. self training is good but get the foundation first of what your are teaching yourself. my opinion it is the drunken stepping, i wish i could show you...

Drunken Monkey
05-30-2001, 04:19 AM
Yeah, i was reading and came across Plum Flower Post Training which is: five posts placed with four as the corners and one in the middle and there are certain steps to do and they are supposed to be very good with balance, strength, and speed, or so i understand.

WongFeHung
06-11-2001, 02:17 AM
Joi Bot Sein-eight drunken immortals is the original form, the shaolin drunken kung-fu were wu-shu sets inspired by the original set. I have been taught one choy li fut joi bot sein, and have seen another, but I am still looking for that one special set. I have a book from China that has the form broken down into 8 sections each representing a particular imortal,> This is what I've always been told the original set was. Only problem is I can't find any info on its origin. I know Lama P'ai has this form as well, but haven't seen it. Most sets utilize the cup hand, but I have also read on a set where the cup hand is the pheonix eye strike and the wine jug hand is the eagle claw combining vital point striking with joint locking. Haven't seen tha form though. Any help in this research would be helpful, but there are tons of guys claiming knowledge on this set, mostly crap.

GeneChing
06-11-2001, 02:29 AM
Just happens that this is our cover story on our Jul/Aug 2001 issue on stands now. It features Master Li Siuhung. We also did some drunken pieces last year such as Nov 2000 cover story on drunken wushu master Philip Wong (along with a guide to Chinese wines and a "how to" guide to Chiense drinking games plus we published an 8 Immortals drunken style piece in Sep 2000. We do a lot of drunken style articles around here, but don't let that be indicative of our personalities. ;)

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

[This message was edited by GeneChing on 06-12-01 at 01:01 AM.]

Drunken Monkey
06-25-2001, 04:18 AM
I wouldn't reconmend this video unless you are planning on scaring your opponents away with your fancy moves :cool:, because from what I understand it is all for show and not for street fighting. But I am thinking of getting the one on drunken choy lay fut.

Dark Knight
06-28-2001, 10:54 PM
Green Dragon has a nice form on video. You can find them in Inside Kung fu and other Kung Fu magazines.

Sow Choy
07-10-2001, 04:27 PM
If anyone is interested in Choy Lay Fut's Drunken Form check out our website:

www.leekoonhungkungfu.com (http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com)

go to the supply page, we have the drunken form and 2 other videos, Buddha Palm and Dragon Fan for $25 each, or buy 2 get 1 Free. I really like the form alot, it has alot of real good techniques and it's fun to perform and watch.

If you are in the Ft Lauderdale, Florida area Saturday July 14th, Master Li Siu Hung is giving a seminar to learn the Drunken Form. Go to our website for details.

Peace

PlasticSquirrel
07-12-2001, 05:24 AM
zui ba xian quan (drunken eight immortals style), as i know it, is the original drunken style. it was popular from the thirteenth to sixteenth centuries, and well-respected as a traditional style of gong fu. it is broken up into eight different sub-forms for each immortal. not sure what it looks quite like, but i guess it's pretty straight-forward compared to what we'd normally think it would be like. i believe that it is not a style in itself, but a part of the eight immortals system. i found a listing of the forms awhile ago:

1. Eight Drunken Immortals
2. Di Yi Quan - Jian Cai He
3. Di Er Quan - He Xian Gu
4. Di San Quan - Xiang Zhong Li
5. Di Si Quan - Li Tie Guai
6. Di Wu Quan - Zhuang Guo Lao
7. Di Liu Quan - Cao Guo Jiu
8. Di Qi Quan - Han Xiang Ji
9. Di Ba Quan - Lu Dong Bin
10. Di He Quan - Di Tang Gong

leung ting has a book on it available, and also a video that's tough to find.

note that the forms 2-10 are not drunken forms, but rather forms based on the eight immortals (sober ones).

wong fei-hung was said to have had to learn the eight drunken immortals form in his youth as a test, or something. i forgot, though. it's not just something that they made up for the movie, though. remember, that wong fei-hung did not just practice hung gar, but also black tiger as well.

the choy lay fut joi bot sein (i think that's how it's spelled) is also based on the eight drunken immortals (i believe that each has eight movements). also good for applications. i'd like to learn it someday. real neat. i'd go for it.

don't know much of anything about the shaolin drunken form.

drunken wushu forms are pitiful. period. the guys actually stare at the ground, pretending to be drunk, and swing their arms around weakly in ways that are obviously not application-oriented. then they do a bunch of jumps and acrobatics. that's it. totally different from what drunken style is supposed to be about.

it's a shame that drunken style has such a reputation from those wushu guys. :( it has such potential to be as reputable as it was way back.

p.s. is the shaolin zui quan the same as the wushu zui quan that was in the video? i have no doubt that if it was, there should have been more power in the techniques, because that guy was a bit flimsy.

northstar
07-12-2001, 11:16 AM
The Eight Immortals style is no more, it is a dead style, the only surviving part is the ba xian jian, Eight Immortal Sword, which I believe is pretty popular in China. a

Troy Dunwood
08-18-2001, 01:06 AM
For imformation regarding authentic Drunken Kung Fu visit www.ying-hung.com (http://www.ying-hung.com)

Shaolin Master
08-18-2001, 08:59 AM
Quote from the site "Master Troy would be most fortunate being accepted by the late Grandmaster and sole inheritor of the Lau Family Eight Immortals style Master Lau Yee Chan. This style which couples the My Jong Fist and Eight Immortals systems, he has also been given the title of Sixth Generation Inheritor of the Lau Family style which is sought out by learners the world over"

>> Sole Inheritor of Lau Family 8 Immortals...hehehe [Marketing in the US hehe]
>> Original?? [To Whom] that is such a subjective statement.

Anyways, on with the discussion :

Drunken Forms/Styles :

Wudang Zui ba Xian
Chuo Jiao Fan Zi Men Zui Ba Xian
Wu Song Zui Quan
Li Shi Zhen Zui Quan
Tang Lang - Zui Lohan
CLF - Zui Lohan
Da Xing - Drunken Monkey
Hung Fut - Drunken Set
Hung Kuen (Only in some lineages and thought to be the one from Lau ) - Zui ba Xian
Songshan Shaolin - Zui Quan (Modern Wushu influenced/created)
Songshan Shaolin - Zui Lohan (part of the 18 Lohan Routines unkown to many form the Miao Xing Lineage)
Fujian Shaolin - Zui Lohan (part of the 18 In Door Routines)
Sth Zui Ba xian (That silly Leung Ting Version)
and many many more.

For the most complete system it is actually a style orignating in Hebei Prov. and practiced in central china. Known as Zui Ba Xian Quan consisting of 10 routines. A fundamental fist set, one for each immortal and a combined one. Also includes weapon sets, special pillar training and all the typical combat excercises typical to most kung fu styles.

Regards

Shi Chan Long

njs
08-19-2001, 05:00 AM
this is a reply about the drunken kung fu.there is a monk in houston that is one of the best drunken artist around.i don't know his name but, he is there with the master of the shaolin temple of houston.i also heard that his training is really effective and very good.

dre_doggX
09-23-2001, 08:32 PM
HAs any one seen they drunken kungfu instructional video from the Martial arts supplies shop on this site??????????>>>>

Andre Lashley

x-God-x
12-30-2001, 03:00 PM
Alright, I been looking for what seems an eternity, to find a Drunken Boxing Kung Fu School...But it's like they don't exist for me or something. PLEASE! If anybody knows of any Drunken Boxing Kung Fu Schools in Canada, preferably around Montreal, if not in/around Montreal its cool too. YOU HAVE TO LET ME KNOW!!!!

Richie
12-31-2001, 03:48 AM
I'm sorry to tell you, but there REALLY isn't such a thing. When I say REALLY I mean that the style does exist in wushu and rarely in kungfu, but there really isn't a school that mainly teaches drunkern? You would be hard pressed to even find a traditional one in Hong Kong, PRC or Taiwan.

The funny thing is that after this post there will be cats claiming they know or their Sifu knows this style, but in my opinion and viewing some of the drunkerns out there, it seems made up.

The true is that the real drunkern styles out there are short and/or compact. There is one style that only has something like 24 movements (I forgot the name). As for the 8 immortals style, I HEARD that it only has like one or two fist forms.

Well, with that being said, there may be many people who will say I'm wrong or misunderstood. It is your choice to believe me or not. However, about 10 years ago I went on the same quest in search of the drunkern style in general. I was interested in learning it, but it really doesn't exist PER SE.

SaMantis
12-31-2001, 02:49 PM
True on that. There is no school I know of that teaches drunken style kung fu.

However, many kung fu styles contain a drunken form or two, as does contemporary wushu. They're considered pretty advanced forms, because of the degree of physical control needed to do them.

Check out traditional kung fu schools around your area (anyone on the forum from Montreal?), ask questions, find out about their styles, do some research. I guarantee it'll be rewarding.

:)
Happy New Year,
Sam

Shaolin Master
01-01-2002, 12:39 AM
Well in actuality it is true there isn't a 'dedicated' drunken system per se, any claims to such are either made up or are a 'piece' of a martial system with the drunken components separated out.

Ba xian Zui (8 Immortals) - to my knowledge in Wudang system there are 2 routines a short one and a little longer one neither are immense in number of techniques (around 88 for the longer).

However, In a northern system (Chuo Jiao Fan Zi Men) the Ba xian zui components (which are actually taught after all 18 routines of Chuo Jiao) there are 8 routines of moderate length each representing an immortal. This same system includes traditional Ditanquan as well and is quite huge.

Fact is, if your martial arts has drunken in it then learn it, if it doesn't ignore it. Do not seek drunken though it is best to ensure your fundamental skills are prevalent over and above any mimic-martial arts.

All the best wishes for New Year 2002 and may peace be with you....always.

Phuu Kuenn
01-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Some schools teach it, but I doubt there is a school centered completely around the style. Our Sifu teaches a Drunken Fist form and a Drunken Straight Sword form, but I dont think youll find a Drunken Kung Fu school.

Richie
01-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Shaolin Master wrote "However, In a northern system (Chuo Jiao Fan Zi Men) the Ba xian zui components (which are actually taught after all 18 routines of Chuo Jiao) there are 8 routines of moderate length each representing an immortal. This same system includes traditional Ditanquan as well and is quite huge."

What are you talking about? This sounds like wushu to me. I've never heard of such a style. Well, thats not saying much because there is a lot of stuff I dont know. However, I've been practicing Kung fu for a while and I've been studying kung fu for even longer.

I think what you are talking about is wushu. Do you do wushu? It seems tht way. You say "routines" and use PRC chinese. Well, that also isn't saying much but everybody I know who does wushu says stuff like that.

Who is your teacher? What style do you do?

Shaolin Master
01-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Ritchie,

I do not do what you proclaim as wushu!

Chuo Jiao is a style I learnt of my teacher(Master Zhou). There are 3 main divisions : Hebei, DongBei and BeiJing.
Chuo Jiao used to be known as 'madarin duck kicking methods' or '9 branches'
Fanzi used to be known as 'ba shan fan'
through times names change.

I learnt that of the HeBei variety. Along with Tongbeipigua.

It is a very old traditional style, not common in the west but very popular in China.

I use 'routines' because I used to use 'sets' or 'forms' etc......but they are just english names of 'tan' or 'tau lu'. A form could be a series of techniques within a set or routine. and a set could be a section of a routine. It is just terminology which I interchangeably play with.

there is alot you don't know.

Richie
01-02-2002, 10:04 PM
First off, I talking about that 8 drunken style. Second, a lot of cats claim they do kung fu when it isn't. Most of them come from China. Most of what comes out of China is wushu. Is there traditional kung fu in China? Yes, but a small part. When kung fu was outlawed, most of the kung fu was lost. The rest was either modified or sesrectly taught. Then they tried to bring it back, but it wasnt what it once was.

I dont know a lot, but I know what I know. If your teacher or teacher's teacher learned after the late 40's then most likely you do wushu. Hey I seen wushu that looks very traditional. If you look at old school wushu guys, it looks kind of traditional.

Shaolin Master
01-03-2002, 12:44 AM
"I talking about that 8 drunken style"
- but you are not! as you disclaimed its existence.

"Second, a lot of cats claim they do kung fu when it isn't "
- but a cook, piano player, gymnast could still be doing kung fu.
- Who are you to judge

"If your teacher or teacher's teacher learned after the late 40's then most likely you do wushu"
- Teacher Zhou Learnt 1910-1956

"Hey I seen wushu that looks very traditional. If you look at old school wushu guys, it looks kind of traditional"
-Looks this and that ......
-I don't personally support the prc sports wushu movement but it has its place....
- do not do yourself injustice by closing your eyes.

Rgds,

Shi Chan Long

Richie
01-03-2002, 01:54 AM
Yes there is an 8 D I style. If you look at my first post I wrote that it does exsist. In the south though And it only has a hand full of forms and in those forms are sub forms to represent each immprtal. When I say sub form I mean like only about 5 or so movements. I saw Northern version, but it was wushu and it looked made up.

Kung fu? Yes you are right, but kung fu has a double meaning. It is kind of like the word "BAD". Bad has two meanings. Kung fu also meanings traditional Chinese Martial arts. It may be slangish, but CMA has been call kung fu for so long, that the word kung fu has been redefined.

As for wushu, I like watching it. They are very good at what they do.

Skarbromantis
01-03-2002, 10:45 AM
Has a book on the 8 immortal drunken style, in the book there is over 70 movement's, but the drunken
motions are very limited and spaced far apart from
each other..also the form represents all 8 immortals, the only drunk one was the cripple,
the non-drunken motions represent the other 7 immortals.

Skard1

laugarboxer
01-07-2002, 01:02 PM
is everyone here forgetting choy li fut a style of kung fu which contains many drunken form movements and long sweeping fist strikes and kicks ?

Brad
01-08-2002, 05:58 PM
I saw Northern version, but it was wushu and it looked made up.
You seem to call anything that doesn't conform to your idea of what kungfu looks like wushu.

Brad
01-08-2002, 06:10 PM
About the original topic, I'm pretty much just going to repeat what's been said by everyone else :) I don't think there are any pure traditional drunken boxing schools in existence(at least here in North America). If there are, they don't seem to want anyone to know they're there. I read about a drunken boxing school here in the US, but he created the system himself.

Richie
01-09-2002, 01:39 AM
No, Brad. I've seen some crazy styles, but they are traditional. I'm just tried of guys trying to pawn wushu off as kung fu. The only Northern Style of 8 drunkard I've seen looks just like wushu drunkard, but each immortal was added.

I do northern. Do it all look the same? No.

Drunken Foo
01-09-2002, 10:57 PM
But there is kunken drung fu style most of just dont know of it
(drunken kung fu)

Iron Arahat
01-10-2002, 04:57 PM
Under the Wushu videos there is a Drunken Form Performed in it's entirety.

Check it out:

http://shaolinwushu.tripod.com/movies.htm

DrunkenLee
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
http://drunkenboxing.redjademartialarts.com/

Shifu Ripski teaches a complete Drunken Boxing style: The Northern style of Ba Ying Zui quan or Eight Shadow Wine/Drunken Fist. It is worth checking out!

DrunkenLee
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/redjademartialarts

GeneChing
10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Check out my Tiger Claw Blog, DrunkenLee

Kids vs. Drunken Style (https://www.tigerclaw.com/blog/2011/05/kids-vs-drunken-style/)

TenTigers
10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Traditionally, there is no such thing as Drunken Style. There are Drunken sets/forms within several styles (Lama P'ai, White Crane, Choy Li Fut, Praying Mantis, Monkey) but not as a separate system.
There are now, systems claiming to be a drunken style, but if you do the research, you will find that somewhere, down the road, someone took some "artistic licence."