PDA

View Full Version : Ninjitsu?

apeters28
03-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Has anyone heard of Rick Tew, or know what style he teaches? Is he legitimate, because I saw his video on his site and it seemed pretty real. If anyone knows ne thing i would appreciate it.

Laughing Cow
03-03-2003, 09:50 PM
From what I hear he is pretty controversial.

Head over to E-Budo (http://www.e-budo.com) and do a search on him, there have been quiet a few threads in the past discussing him.

Not saying he is good or bad, just that there seem to conflicting opinions about him.

But than every MA has their own controversial "Masters".

Stranger
03-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Has anyone heard of Rick Tew, or know what style he teaches? Is he legitimate,

Tew Ryu and an emphatic NO!

Fred Sanford
03-04-2003, 03:34 AM
ninjas are totally sweet.

Oso
03-04-2003, 05:53 AM
******, how many times do I have to say it ?????????????????

:mad: :mad: :mad:

ninjas suck.

Budokan
03-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Ninjas are sweet. Especially when they whale away on their guitars and flip out.

Oso
03-04-2003, 07:50 AM
u guys are so deluded

Oso
03-04-2003, 07:52 AM
anyone heard of this gentleman

www.wayofthewinds.com

Former castleva
03-04-2003, 10:01 AM
I think there is plenty of skeptism around towards him as far as I have seen.
It would help to remember though that ninjutsu´s ground is not of greatest stability anyway. :)

apoweyn
03-05-2003, 09:04 AM
well, i've never trained in ninjutsu. but i've watched all the clips at tew's website. and i've trained in enough other styles to make a couple of observations.

his weapons work is... distinctive. it would never occur to me to thread a katana between my legs and catch it on the other side. partially because to catch it on the other side, i have to grab the blade. and partially because, hey, those are my nuts.

besides, to my limited knowledge, ninja weren't big users of the nunchaku. or the jump spinning hook kick.

it's pretty clear that he has a background in taekwondo, perhaps. and he makes frequent reference in his weapons clips on stickwork to the abaniko, witiks, etc. (filipino terminology) without ever once actually mentioning eskrima.

the guy's not unskilled, mind you. he clearly has a strong background. i just don't think it's ninjutsu.

that said, they do a lot of rolling, tumbling, rock climbing, and other stereotypical 'ninja' type things. so while i don't think it looks very authentic, it does look fun.

check out the clips on stunt fighting, by the way.

stuart b.

Oso
03-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Is a ninja showing ninjitsu that isn't ninjitsu really a ninja disguising his technique or is he a poophead that doesn't really know any ninjitsu at all?

apoweyn
03-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Oso
Is a ninja showing ninjitsu that isn't ninjitsu really a ninja disguising his technique or is he a poophead that doesn't really know any ninjitsu at all?

i'm guessing the latter. but i may just be succumbing to the dark machinations of the shadow warriors. i'm silly like that.

:)

stuart b.

Oso
03-05-2003, 01:28 PM
:cool:

shaolin kungfu
03-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Did ninjas do something to you as a child Oso? You seem just a little too mad at them.

Oso
03-05-2003, 07:03 PM
How have I displayed 'mad' ?

They just suck. I mean...just look at 'em !

Serpent
03-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
his weapons work is... distinctive. it would never occur to me to thread a katana between my legs and catch it on the other side. partially because to catch it on the other side, i have to grab the blade. and partially because, hey, those are my nuts.

Fekking LOL! :D

Serpent
03-05-2003, 08:08 PM
If you really want to know if his stuff is legit or not then go and try to talk to him. If he totally flips out and kills you then he's a sweet ninja. If not, he's obviously a charlatan.

Ben Gash
03-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Ninjitsu guys seem to fall into two groups. There are some that are very academic in their approach, teach good applications in a realistic manner and seriously study the techniques and principles of some interesting weapons. (if you went to these schools it would probably look like a Ju Jitsu school- but with black Gis).
Then there is the second group who are completely frickin' nuts, climbing trees, wearing masks and scaring little old ladies in the park.
Or am I thinking about kung fu again........

joedoe
03-05-2003, 08:25 PM
I once went to a ninjutsu(sp?) class that a friend was attending. Hard enough class, but when it came to sparring I think I scared their instructor because he was the only one who wouldn't spar me :).

I think it is like any MA - find a good school and you can learn some good stuff.

Serpent
03-05-2003, 08:25 PM
No, Ben, you're thinking of my childhood.

Oso
03-05-2003, 08:31 PM
c'mon guys...just look at the shoes.

Vapour
03-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Let me say this. This guy seems to have done karate/tkd/kung fu and then set up his own school. For the promotional value as well as for his inspiration, he seem to have used the word "ninjutu". As far as historical accuracy goes, there is no connection between him and ninja.

Ninjutu is japanese arts of espionage and not necessarily an martial arts even though assasination was a part of it. For this reason, arts was going nearly extinct when japan moved away from feudal era except one guy who were actually worked as a trained assasin in Manchuria for Japanese government before WWII.

Because the difference in the period, he discarded much part of ninjutus which was irrelevant to the modern age (i.e. espionage part) but then he also went to learn number of other traditional japanese martial arts including few jujutu, and few taijitu (arts of body work and movement, think it as a japanese version of acrobatic yoga.). Overall, he obtained 8 lineage (I think two ninjutu, two or three jutjutu and one taijutu and one or two school of weapon arts). He passed this knowledge to a guy who set up a ninjutu school know as Bushinkan.

As far as I know, this school is the only survining legit school of ninjutu in existence because everything else has died out and only reason this particular ninjutu has survived was that it's adopted ninjutu into martial arts format by incoporating jujutu, taijitu and weapon arts, ninjutu being only a quarter of the entire syllabus.

If any ninjutu school does not have Bushinkan lineage, it is not "historically" authentic school of ninjutu. So at least the school we are talking about is misusing the term if not committing downright fraud. On the other hand, this say nothing about the fighting capability of Tew. He might have just used the word ninjutu to get extra edge in promoting his school. Plus, he seems to have lot of outdoor activity like mountain climbing which does not fit into the traditiona context of martial arts so he might used it as a sort of inspiration. Student in the video seems to enjoy this outdoor thing. So in this way, I guess this school is not that bad.

On the other hand, one dodgey thing about this school is a sword work. Unlike lot of myth, there are no such thing as ninja sword and ninja did not hold Japanese katana in reverse. If you do sword work you know how ridiculous this hold is. The weapon which ninja did nold in reverse (occasionally) is wakizashi or tanto which is very short sword akin to knife.

Repulsive Monkey
03-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately there are two immortal words which have done much to ruin the image of Ninja's world-wide...
dare I mentio them....ASHIDA...KIM

GreyMystik
03-12-2003, 04:07 PM
aww man... you're so dead... i can sense the astral spies being dispatched already