PDA

View Full Version : Hips

jong_052003
03-04-2003, 05:27 PM
I suffered a hip injury to my right hip playing baseball last year. Although it's healed, I seem to have flexibility issues in my left hip. When I do one leg squats on my right leg, my left foot seems to rotate to the right. Although I know of some stretches I could do for the hips, I do not want to have any hip problems at all playing ball this year. I wondered if anyone had anything good to make my hips stronger.

rubthebuddha
03-04-2003, 05:32 PM
yoga.

it's the simplest answer -- only four letters. but it'll help, because it'll both open up and stretch your hips, while making them stronger, better balanced and better able to control your weight from movement to movement.

if you're not up for yoga, some basic stretching is key, along with exercises like leg lifts fore, side and aft, etc.

just use the muscles around your hips slowly and in a controlled fashion, stretch them when you're done, and you should be fine.

that said, if the injury keeps you from doing any normal movements or gives you pain while doing them, have a doctor gander at your hips and other parts.if you exacerbate mild injury, it will affect you for longer than just next season.

shaolin kungfu
03-05-2003, 10:32 PM
What about tai chi? would that hip problems? Or joint problems in general?

Serpent
03-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Tai chi would certainly help, but it would be a longer term solution. I would second RTB's suggestion. Yoga is just the tits when it comes to flexibility and soft strength.