PDA

View Full Version : Choy li fut or karate ?

fu jau sot sau
03-04-2003, 09:38 PM
So here is my story, some time ago I joined a school in Sacramento that taught choyli fut kung-fu or so I thought. I was there long enough to get so frustrated at certain people that claim to be masters or sifu's. I went there in good faith and emptied my tea cup, which I had previous training in choy lay fut, enough training to understand application and forms, I recently relocated from another state at that time and was looking for a new school. They were teaching kenpo techniques that I was familiar with,and no choy li fut technique was not involved within these techs no strikes blocks or footwork, there choy li fut was so poor I felt compeld to leave because my short time in choy lay fut "6years of hard work in another state which I will not mention" was so far advanced even more than the sifu there. I went there giving them no indication that I had no prior training in clf so I good get all the benefits of thier starting ranks although they did know I had prior training in martial arts. I was just so dissappointed and felt lied to and not to mention that thier sister school in the state right next door was even worse. There kenpo was great though they should probably stick to that. But I guess I'm just venting I was so frustrated that you come across these schools that buy there way into some big clf association to make more money and bypassing all the effort and hard work that makes the small percentage of real sifus truly masters if anyone has any answers reply if you feel I'm just venting.

Serpent
03-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Caveat emptor. It's sad, but such is the nature of things these days.

joedoe
03-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately this is not an uncommon story. Put it down to bad luck and try elsewhere.

fu jau sot sau
03-04-2003, 10:31 PM
joedoe thanx I'm doing that right now but its hard to trust anyone these days with all the fraud thats going on out there my search is long and tough for the right teacher. I wish didnt have to leave my sifu who is like my father to me.

Serpent
03-04-2003, 10:35 PM
You can't go back to him?

joedoe
03-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by fu jau sot sau
joedoe thanx I'm doing that right now but its hard to trust anyone these days with all the fraud thats going on out there my search is long and tough for the right teacher. I wish didnt have to leave my sifu who is like my father to me.

I know how you feel. My fiance wants to go and live overseas for a while but the thought of not learning from my sifu for that long does not sit well with me. I guess one day I will probably do it, but I hope I can put it off for a while.

Best of luck finding the right school. Don't let your experiences get in the way of your decisions, and follow your instincts.

hongkong fuey
03-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Thats the funniest sh*t in the world, a friend told me to check this out cause i had some what the same experiance at the same school if it is the school in fairoaks ca. oh by the way the kenpo they teach is "bok fu or bok fraud" hehehehehe good luck with your search.

hongkong fuey
03-12-2003, 08:45 PM
oh yeah did you read the gossip on doc fai wong some time ago about his buying clf forms? makes you wonder about how things get passed along, in other words you can buy your way through like this school and others.

monkeywoman
03-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Seems to be a lot of good Choy Li Fut coming from N. Cal. Who is good up there?

joedoe
03-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Aren't the Lacey Brothers up that way?

Serpent
03-12-2003, 09:29 PM
I think Ng Fu Hang and his top student Dutch Jenkins teach up that way. Very good kung fu. Ng Fu Hang is Master Chen Yong Fa's cousin. hope I got that right; I'm trying to remember what I read at www.clfma.com a while ago. There are a lot of good links on that site anyway.

hongkong fuey
03-12-2003, 10:24 PM
yeah Shane Lacey,Tat ma wong, Ng fu Hang I think is in southern cal not sure though but I will look into it.

hongkong fuey
03-12-2003, 10:45 PM
the buck sing gwoon and all the lacey's are in that area master Ngfu Hang is in so.cal. with his top student Dutch Jenkins teaching in fremont ca. my suggestion to you is give the lacey"s a try I garrantee you will not be let down there all pretty much bad asssssssssssssssssss"s they really know there stuff.

Serpent
03-12-2003, 10:48 PM
To be fair, so does Ng Fu Hang from what I hear. But I've never trained with any of them, so it's all hearsay. Give them all a go and then pick what suits you best.

hongkong fuey
03-12-2003, 10:55 PM
I agree with serpent about Ng fu but are willing to travel to so.cal. for the training if you are in nor cal long drive

Serpent
03-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Good point!

hongkong fuey
03-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Good point!

gas is expensive.:mad:

fu jau sot sau
03-12-2003, 11:14 PM
wow I wasn't expecting this thanx everyone sounds like some good leads, nice to have some friends.

kungfuyou
03-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Well if you are attending classes in Sac, then Fremont would be a considerable drive. Like someone said, gas prices are expensive, not to mention the traffic in the bay area.

This school wouldn't happen to be related to this thread (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=453) in any way would it??

My sifu is in Sac, great school! There are also Wing Chun, Hung Gar, Ying Jow Pai, Tai Chi up in Sac area, with some good teachers from what I hear. I can give you some info if you'd like on some of the schools in the Sac area.

Where abouts in Sac are ya??

joedoe
03-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by hongkong fuey

gas is expensive.:mad:

Don't start me. We are currently paying about $1.10 per litre. I've heard it's even worse in the UK.

Diu Sao
03-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Ng Fu Hang is my sifu and he teaches in Arcadia california. You can get all of the info at: choyleefut.us Dutch is my Si-Hing and he teaches in fresno actually. There's info on both schools on the site. Hope it helps!

Sam Tripp

fu jau sot sau
03-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by kungfuyou
Well if you are attending classes in Sac, then Fremont would be a considerable drive. Like someone said, gas prices are expensive, not to mention the traffic in the bay area.

This school wouldn't happen to be related to this thread (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=453) in any way would it??

My sifu is in Sac, great school! There are also Wing Chun, Hung Gar, Ying Jow Pai, Tai Chi up in Sac area, with some good teachers from what I hear. I can give you some info if you'd like on some of the schools in the Sac area.

Where abouts in Sac are ya??

AUBURN.

kungfuyou
03-17-2003, 07:55 PM
hmmmm...well I know of some good schools in the Sac area if you are interested. What kind of style are you looking for?? I don't know of any CLF in the area.

Jamesbond_007
03-17-2003, 08:27 PM
fu jau sot sau:
First who was your first sifu? I'm just curious.
2nd is this current CLF school affiliated with Doc Fai Wong?

Stacey
03-17-2003, 08:41 PM
Tat Ma Wong's students look good. He used to fight quite a bit too. Doc Fake Wong isn't worth wasting your time with in my opinion. Their are good schools in the bay area. Shop around, look at the senior students..ask to spar someone.

fu jau sot sau
03-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Jamesbond_007
fu jau sot sau:
My first teacher was a private student of Lee Koon Hung way back when, his name I would rather not say out of respect to keep him out of this and do to the fact that he was tought in secrecy one on one with LKH. He doesnt have a school but teaches only the most promising students privately, which is only 2 or 3 he also learned clf from master Chan's tree.
And yes this school is affiliated, any connection that you know?

fu jau sot sau
03-24-2003, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stacey
Tat Ma Wong's students look good. He used to fight quite a bit too. Doc Fake Wong isn't worth wasting your time with in my opinion. Their are good schools in the bay area. Shop around, look at the senior students..ask to spar someone. [/QUOTE
LOL, DOC FAKE WONG I LIKE THAT!

CLFNole
03-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Lee Koon Hung did not teach people in "secrecy". He had private students, students that attended his schools and students at the various hong kong universities, middle schools, etc...

In the U.S. he only had students from the school.

Peace.

fu jau sot sau
03-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by CLFNole
Lee Koon Hung did not teach people in "secrecy". He had private students, students that attended his schools and students at the various hong kong universities, middle schools, etc...

In the U.S. he only had students from the school.

Peace.
you asked about doc fai wong any connection or otherwise?

fu jau sot sau
03-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Jamesbond_007
fu jau sot sau:
It was you who asked about doc fai wong any info ?

hongkong fuey
04-02-2003, 08:23 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hongkong fuey
04-08-2003, 06:41 AM
just curious to if anybody has heard anything on doc fai wong and his last artical in ikf about his buying into clf?