PDA

View Full Version : Differences

norther practitioner
03-05-2003, 09:58 AM
OK, so there has been a little debate as to the rules of different types of competitions on this board. So, here we go, I would like to know the rules of them all, just so we can all be on the same page as far as rules etc. I'll list what style of sport fighting I've heard of (obviously not all of them) and would like some responses as to what you all think of them and what the rules of each are.

Shootfighting
San da
San Shou
American Kickboxing
Thai Kickboxing
Vale Tudo
Savate

granted that some of them could be styles too, but whatever.

ShaolinTiger00
03-05-2003, 10:12 AM
Sambo
Similar to judo. can win by perfect throw or submission. no chokes but can attack knees and ankles)

Judo
no rounds. one 3-5 minute period. throw or takedown gives varying degree of points. once on teh ground can score points by pins (over 20 seconds) or submissions and chokes.

Bjj similar to above. scoring is based upon positional dominance and takedowns. more options for submissions

Wrestling (Folkstyle,Freestyle, Greco-Roman)
3 periods, point system for offense and defense, win by pin. GR cannot do takedowns and focuses heavily on upperbody locks and throwing

Shooto
Jappanese mma.

Shoot boxing
Japanese san shou

Catch -as- can wrestling
most of the info has been lost but essentially western wrestling with submissions.

Kyukoshin (sp?)
full contact karate (cannot punch the head but can kick it) no gloves, no padding

Shidokan

9 rounds. 3 kyukoshin karate, 3 modified kickboxing(k-1) 3 mma w ground fighting and submissions possible.

norther practitioner
03-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Cool, thanks for the additions ST00, any definitions?

ShaolinTiger00
03-05-2003, 10:17 AM
no prob. as far as "definitions" - Are you looking for a specific of just the gist of the rules?

ex - you listed savate, muay thai, kickboxing. all kinda similar but the rules dictate legal techniques.

norther practitioner
03-05-2003, 10:23 AM
legal, usual techs. are there rounds, if so how long (usually, don't need a total breakdown), etc.

Like boxing-
punching with padded gloves only, no other strikes permitted pros have 3 minute rounds

American Kickboxing-
punching, kicking allowed, no elbows, etc.

Former castleva
03-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Vietnamese kickboxing.

Sorry,no definitions.A rarity. :)

Suntzu
03-05-2003, 10:35 AM
American Kickboxing - sucks…

norther practitioner
03-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Again, thanks ST00

We're starting a lot of mixed sparring at my school now. Trying to figure out how to set some of it up as we will have some relative newbies mixing in as well.