PDA

View Full Version : Online kuen kuits?

[Censored]
03-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Can anyone point me to an online collection of martial sayings, other than Rene Ritchie's site? Either for Wing Chun, or for martial arts in general?

anerlich
03-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=kuen+kuit&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

at least a couple right on the first page.

yuanfen
03-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Wing Chun world once had a listing whose source was Augustine Fong- I dont know whether it is still up.

Fong's out of print Theory book has an extensive list.

Rob Wolf
03-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Hello,
You can view most of the kuit on my website www.sillumwingchun.com look under the library.........Regards , Sifu Robert Lopez III
Remain disciplined –Conduct yourself ethically as a martial artist
Practice courtesy and righteousness – serve society and respect your elders
Love your fellow students – be united and avoid conflicts
Limit your desires and pursuit of bodily pleasures – preserve the proper spirit
Train diligently– maintain your skills
Learn to develop spiritual tranquillity – abstain from arguments and fights
Participate in society – be moderate and gentle in your manners
Help the weak and the very young – use martial skill for the good of humanity
Pass on the tradition – preserve this Chinese art and Rules of Conduct

[Censored]
03-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Google IS my friend, but there appear to be (100 copies of) only two lists, by Augustine Fong and Moy Yat.

They are helpful, but I was hoping to find some of the more obscure ones, such as "issue force in direction of the wind" (thanks to Hendrik) or "mud cow enters the sea". :)

General sayings, such as "first, bravery; second, strength; third, technique" would also be welcomed.

yenhoi
03-05-2003, 04:32 PM
"Invest in loss."

"Today is a good day to die."

etc.

:eek:

yuanfen
03-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Yenhoi:"Today is a good day to die."
------------------------------------------------------------
No yenhoi- dont do it! Live!:eek: :o

kj
03-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Leung Sheung also had many Wing Chun proverbs, as no doubt other teachers did and do. As one might expect, many of Leung Sheung's proverbs are same as others, some are similar but with different flavor, and some appear to be more uncommon. There were also some general martial sayings, not specific only to Wing Chun, that he would frequently repeat to his students.

To my knowledge these have not been published in full, and may not even be fully compiled yet, though I hope they will be some day. Till then it is catch as catch can, finding them here and there, even through posts on this board and other forums from time to time. (Hint: Grendel has been especially generous with them.) Fortunately the memories of Leung Sheung's students are also and ever surfacing new wealth. If you check the homepage of Carl Dechiarra's website (http://www.wing-chun.nu/), some of the proverbs are displayed by a randomizer. You may find some there you haven't seen before.

For me, I have found that it is not enough to know what the proverbs or kuen kuit are. I must learn and understand what they mean, some in general, but all in context. IMHO and IME, their importance lies, not in every possible interpretation, but rather in their compact, efficient and combined fullness and consistency. Like carefully examining the different facets of a gem one at a time, yet complemented by stepping back far enough and long enough to see how it all sits together so perfectly in its multi-dimensional wholeness.

When I encounter sayings (or interpretations of them) that appear to contradict each other, I try to find out a) what is wrong with my understanding, b) what is amiss with the interpretation as given, or c) both. So far it has always been worth my effort to see and learn how they work together, and thankfully and delightfully I am still learning.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Phenix
03-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Thus as I have heard,
Hundred of years ago,
for some Chinese martial art system, The core set which represent the system usually will come with a description writing.

This description writing of the set consist of two parts.

1, the big picture or the summarization of the set (or the particular section of the set)

2, the detail description of each move which will including the description of the state of Mind/breathing/ body movement... and or specific application or Jing or moral qoute or buddhism/ daoism related teaching....

Somehow, similar to or analogy to the present day's technical paper. there are the abstract, the outlines , and with details description of the outline.

Thus I have heard, In the ancient time, to identify a system or to recieve the traditional of a teaching, this writing has to be shown or passed to the students. Otherwise, the system is incomplete.

Today's so called Kuen Kuit are bit and pice from different place. some are confucian's teaching and some are Sun Tze art of war qoutation. some doesn't belong to the same place...

The picture of the old time Kuen kuit is to a big extend fading away.... and become up for personal intepretation due to the lost of connectivity of the pre or post writing...

to the worst is that even most chinese doesn't have the classical chinese training today. thereby to understand thing as it is which is obvious for anyone who has classical chinese background is difficult. and more and more people link unrelated stuffs to make up things. and the evolution continous.....

Thus as I have heard.

t_niehoff
03-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Hendrik raises a very good point IMHO. For one thing, it is not uncommon in WCK to see example of folks (including "grandmasters" and "masters") that have "filled in" the missing parts of their WCK knowledge with things taken from other MAs -- I've seen "made up" or "borrowed" pole sets and knife sets, "borrowed" mechanics, and "borrowed" oral teachings. How can we tell the genuine? Discernment (which comes from education, and which takes time and effort). TN

Another thing -- IME the kuit, like the forms, will mean nothing to someone that lacks the gung fu, i.e., the training (they're written so as to be unintelligible to "outsiders"; and simply being "a WCK practitioner" doesn't mean one has done the training). So just as I would not get a "form" off the web to fill in my lack of WCK education, I wouldn't get my kuen kuit off the web to fill in my lack of education either. Instead, my advice is to get a good sifu, put in the work, and learn the kuit as you go along. Anything else won't serve you. TN

Terence

[Censored]
03-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Today's so called Kuen Kuit are bit and pice from different place. some are confucian's teaching and some are Sun Tze art of war qoutation. some doesn't belong to the same place...

Have you heard the story about the guy who lost his car keys? Searching along the ground, he finds a diamond...says to himself, "not my car key," and tosses it away.

So just as I would not get a "form" off the web to fill in my lack of WCK education, I wouldn't get my kuen kuit off the web to fill in my lack of education either. Instead, my advice is to get a good sifu, put in the work, and learn the kuit as you go along. Anything else won't serve you.

LOL, I'll be sure to take your Web advice...by ignoring your Web advice. :p

Phenix
03-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by [Censored]

Have you heard the story about the guy who lost his car keys? Searching along the ground, he finds a diamond...says to himself, "not my car key," and tosses it away.

sure,

in Chinese there is a story of a farmer accidentally collect a dead rabit while he was farming. the rabit is dead due to it run into a tree and drop dead.

Then, the farmer think it is better business deal to just wait beside the tree, if one day 3 dead rabits, one week....
end up after months his farm is totally deserted and he got no rabit.

Diamond has to be real specific. general chan term, daoism term, confusious term doesn't mean much. ...

t_niehoff
03-06-2003, 12:31 PM
[censored] wrote:

LOL, I'll be sure to take your Web advice...by ignoring your Web advice. Have you heard the story about the guy who lost his car keys? Searching along the ground, he finds a diamond...says to himself, "not my car key," and tosses it away. C

Good story . . . have you found your car keys yet. ;) TN

Terence

yuanfen
03-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Re: kuen kuit.(TN)

Sometimes the kuen kuit may seem contradictory if not properly understood, shown and operationally practised.

re-the diamond and the car keys--(censored and TN)
Othello was wrong- "foolish" Indians dont throw pearls away.