PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis in Beijing?

Laviathan
03-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Hello,

Recently I applied for a scholarship to study for one year in the People's Republic of China. I will probably go to Beijing and attend classes at one of the universities in the Chinese capitol.

I would like to continue my martial arts training there. Would any of you happen to know information on teachers/schools of Traditional Styles? I am particularly interested in Praying Mantis, Baguazhang and Bajiquan. Hope you can provide me with some information.

Looking forward to your reply.

Lav :)

carly
03-09-2003, 02:32 PM
I believe that there is a good traditional Plum Blossom Mantis group there.
Someone here should have the details.

Laviathan
03-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Hope someone can enlighten me about this Plum Blossom Mantis group which was mentioned by Carly...

carly
03-09-2003, 03:18 PM
this guy should be able to help you find a group in Beijing too.
http://www.prayingmantisboxing.com/home.html

Laviathan
03-10-2003, 05:27 AM
I have already sent an e-mail to Mr. Provatilov. I am looking forward to his reply.

RAF
03-10-2003, 06:09 AM
Qingdao has a great group of ttraditional mei hua praying mantis players and teachers.

Currently Sun De Yao, is visiting the US and giving seminars.

carly
03-10-2003, 03:26 PM
then go to Yantai in Shantung instead of Beijing and go tot the source.

Laviathan
03-12-2003, 05:00 AM
But I applied for Beijing, so no can't do...

WanderingMonk
03-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Assuming you speak some chinese, why don't you just stroll around in the park. I am sure you'll see people practicing in the morning. Heck, I was watching a "Globe Trekker" (a travelling show on PBS), and the host found a xinyi teacher teaching in the park. She even got in for a quick lesson.

So, if you can't find anyone, just take a stroll in the park. You'll sure to run into someone. China is full of "crouching tigers and hidden dragons" (translation: many people with concealed talents).

Of course, only use this suggestion as the last resort. :)

wm

Laviathan
03-12-2003, 08:30 AM
To WanderingMonk:

Heck, I was watching a "Globe Trekker" (a travelling show on PBS), and the host found a xinyi teacher teaching in the park.

Hmm... you sure that it wasn't an actor hired by the camera crew? :)

But seriously, thank you for the suggestion. Three years ago I was in Beijing and I did saw an old man teaching Baguazhang in a park to two middle-aged persons. So indeed, there are many "crouching tigers and hidden dragons".

Again, thank you for the idea.

WanderingMonk
03-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi Laviathan,

I was reading an article on Baguazhang on a web site and thought you might be interested.

http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/bagua/machuanxu.html

Anyways, the Beijing Baguazhang Research Association might be a place to contact to find out about Bagua instructor in Beijing.

Also, the web site owner is a westerner who went to China for academic study and martial arts training. If you contact him, he might be willing to help you to find good instructors in Beijing.

Just a random thought.

wm

Laviathan
03-20-2003, 07:17 AM
To WanderingMonk:

I've already sent an e-mail to Mr. Jarek. He told me to call him when I arrive in China, with his help I think I will be able to find a good instructor.

Thanks for your advice,

Lav