PDA

View Full Version : Taoism in cartoons

Chang Style Novice
03-09-2003, 08:54 PM
From tonight's King of the Hill;

Hank and Cotton have tried to toughen up Bobby by sending him to a military academy, and finally by giving him three days in the hole. He comes out same as he went in.

Cotton: "It's no use. That boy was born mush."
Hank: "You know, in a funny way, mush has the edge. You can't build it up, but you can't break it down either."

I had to share this with you guys, 'cause everyone else would think I'm crazy.

You guys don't think I'm crazy, do you? DO YOU?

Laughing Cow
03-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

Not crazy, just plain nutz.
;D ;D

Serpent
03-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
From tonight's King of the Hill;

Hank and Cotton have tried to toughen up Bobby by sending him to a military academy, and finally by giving him three days in the hole. He comes out same as he went in.

Cotton: "It's no use. That boy was born mush."
Hank: "You know, in a funny way, mush has the edge. You can't build it up, but you can't break it down either."

I had to share this with you guys, 'cause everyone else would think I'm crazy.

No, mate, not crazy. There's nothing wrong with looking for philosophical inspiration in farce cartoons.

Actually, there isn't! :eek:

There's more philosophical truth in KOTH, Simpsons, South Park, etc., than you'd ever find in "real life".

OdderMensch
03-10-2003, 08:03 AM
i think the abstraction of the human icon allows for a faster convence of abstact idea, thus paradoxicly, it seems more real coming from a cartoon, because a cartoon has already placed it in an abstract format.

or something like that, I just likes when they make the funny pictures talk ;)

Souljah
03-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Well, It wouldnt surprise me to see daoism in a cartoon.....
Writers and directors are always putting 'messages' in cartoons. I mean after all micky mouse was a capitalist icon....

There are loads of subtle propaganda-messages in cartoons...the simpsons is full of them.....

Serpent
03-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by OdderMensch
i think the abstraction of the human icon allows for a faster convence of abstact idea, thus paradoxicly, it seems more real coming from a cartoon, because a cartoon has already placed it in an abstract format.

or something like that, I just likes when they make the funny pictures talk ;)

:D