PDA

View Full Version : Split exercizes

VoidNinja
03-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Can anyone give me some split exersizes. I need to do splits to perform some kicks, thanks :)

Robinf
03-10-2003, 07:58 AM
If you're going to do split kicks, then you need a strong core (abs and back). You also need strong jumping and landing abilities.

A basic workout will suffice (crunches, twist crunch, lunge, squat, heel raises, etc). Also, practice jumping and landing.

There aren't any specific exercises to get into a split except simply hanging out in a split.

For the split kick, keep your back straight on take off, bring (or punch) your hands inbetween your legs to get the kick up there.

Isn't your teacher available for advice on this?

Kungfu boy
03-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Ever seen Kickboxer? Okay you strap yourself to this thing that looks like a relic of the Spanish Inquisition and then.... Ah you get the point.

But seriously, if you want to do the splits just stretch a crap load man. Its how I am doing it and slowly but surely I'm getting there. And trust me slowly is the way to go here. Heres some pointers though:

1.When doing the basic split stretch have a shoe on one foot and a sock on another. The foot with the sock will of course slide further which will give you a good stretch there.

2. Get as far down into the basic split stretch as you can then use your hands to walk yourself forward a bit. Don't lie down in this stretch, keep you back kind of curved up.

3. This is a suggestion from my teacher I haven't tried yet though. Go into your garage and attach a pulley to a beam and attach something like a leather strap for you foot to go. Then just use the pulley to stretch you, but do this one REALLY SLOWLY!

4. If you have access to a gym, try doing the YES/NO machine. Its actually the hip abducter I think. Its the one where the pads are on the outside of the thigh. You open and close your legs under resistance. The funny thing is at the YMCA here has that machine facing the lat pulldown and every once in a while you'll hear somebody drop the weight because some really cute girl is using the hip machine.

Kinda funny I think.

Good luck

Robinf
03-12-2003, 07:02 AM
ghthomason,

Good site.

Kungfu boy,

Good advice. To do anything, you just have to keep doing it.

Kungfu boy
03-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks Robin.

Let me add man that I thought I'd ever be this flexible. I have been really working on it for about 3-4 months now and I am about (on a good day) 4 inches from the splits. I know now that I can make it there from where I've gotten so far. Your own results are the best motivater.

Remember the 1st main rule, it takes time.

After I can do the splits I am gonna start on trying to kick and hold it there for a few seconds. Kind of like posing but its a killer stretch.

later all